• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

search question

headednorth

NES Member
Just had a question regarding how to use the search function better.

If I search for say, Glock 9mm magazine, I find that I'll get results that contain the words Glock, 9mm, and magazine, but not necessarily Glock 9mm magazine, know what I mean? Ive tried to put quotes around the whole phrase, but it doesnt seem to help. Any advice as to how I can better narrow down what Im searching for?

Thanks.

The vbulletin search feature is useful only as a decoration. But that won't stop people from yelling at you to use the search function if ever ask a question that's been covered here before.

Just had a question regarding how to use the search function better.

If I search for say, Glock 9mm magazine, I find that I'll get results that contain the words Glock, 9mm, and magazine, but not necessarily Glock 9mm magazine, know what I mean? Ive tried to put quotes around the whole phrase, but it doesnt seem to help. Any advice as to how I can better narrow down what Im searching for?

Thanks.

Don't use the builtin at all, you're way more likely to find something using google and then just constrain google by putting "site:northeastshooters.com" at the end of your search terms.

-Mike

I've had my best luck using google. I'll type in what in searching along with northeastshooters. I'll get plenty of info from that. I search all forums that way.

The vbulletin search feature is useful only as a decoration. But that won't stop people from yelling at you to use the search function if ever ask a question that's been covered here before.

Lol. I thought it was just me.

Seriously though, is there a way I could run a search for "small base dies" without getting back every post that was ever written that has the word "small" used in it?

eta- just saw the other posts. Will do. Thanks guys. Good to know its not just me being retarded.

you can also use the advanced search function to limit your results to a specific forum, e.g. classifieds if you're looking to buy/sell or reloading if you're looking for practical info.

My problem has been if I search for a phrase (small base die set) that has a commonly used word in it such as "small" , I get a shit ton of results that have just a casual use of the word ("theres a small scratch in the stock") . I figured I wasnt using the function correctly, but I guess it kind of sucks for everyone.

What youre suggesting would cut it down quite a bit, but its still annoying to have to wade through so much crap in the hopes of finding something useful.

Don't use the builtin at all, you're way more likely to find something using google and then just constrain google by putting "site:northeastshooters.com" at the end of your search terms.

-Mike

I agree with this. HOWEVER, it will not search the Members forums even if you are a "green member", only searches the publicly accessible forums.

The search engine we use is much more advanced than the default vBulletin one, however, it still is a pale comparison to Google's intelligence.

Searching "Glock 9mm Magazine" will only return results with all of the words in that order, but it doesn't always direct you to the right portion of the post.

http://sphinxsearch.com/docs/current.html#extended-syntax

Back
Top Bottom