• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question regarding renewal application

Under the questions regarding convictions... If I pleaded no contest to a court case, that is not considered a conviction, correct?

Thanks!
Stve

You're subject to all the penalties associated with a conviction. Essentially the only differences are that you don't have to allocute to the charges, and that the plea generally can't be used against you in any later civil proceedings (e.g., for damages in reckless driving or assault cases).

Essentially, No Contest == Guilty

Ken

Ken,

Thank for the answer, but unfortunately, it didn't address the question. In regards specifically to the renewal application for a LTC, does no contest require a yes answer to have you been convicted???

Question #10 reads "Have you ever appeared in court as a defendant for any criminal offense (excluding non-criminal traffic offenses)?"

No matter how you slice it, you cannot plead no contest unless you are a defendant to a criminal offense. So, right there, you have to answer a question in the affirmative that will result in your providing the same explanation as a yes answer to any of the questions about convictions.

I expect that one of the lawyers on this list will clarify that a no-contest plea is indeed a conviction. Furthermore, the licensing officer (who will almost certainly find your record of the no-contest plea) will not be amused by creative word games that are variations on "I was never convicted of a felony since I plead guilty."

If you have anything other than a completely spotless background, you should be consulting an attorney, not the forums, before submitting your application as you have once chance to get it right.

Ken,

Thank for the answer, but unfortunately, it didn't address the question. In regards specifically to the renewal application for a LTC, does no contest require a yes answer to have you been convicted???

If you plead nolo, a judgment of conviction automatically and immediately follows, so the answer to your question is "Yes, it does."

i answered yes to 10, it was 8 and 9 I was questioning... I am going to answer yes, but when I go to the station, just confirm the answer's are correct...

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom