question RE dovetail adapter on .920 barrel

Does anyone have any experience using the dovetail adapter from Tech Sights?

I recently purchased a set of sights and a dovetail adapter for a .920 barrel from Tech Sights for my 10/22-T. I just moved and don't have a vice or work bench set up, so I took the sights to the shop where I purchased the rifle (Four Seasons) to have them installed (complimentary - good guys at FS). However, the rifle came back to me without the dovetail adapter installed. The gunsmith there told me the adapter was out of spec (too big). So I emailed Tech Sights, and they promptly sent me another adapter, but the replacement was exactly the same size.

The problem, per the gunsmith at Four Seasons, is that the adapter easily slides over the .920 barrel. According to him, the fit should be tight enough that it needs to be installed with a hammer. Tech Sights says it should be secured on the barrel with Lock Tight, but the gunsmith said that Lock Tight would be insufficient, and the recoil would quickly shake the sight out of alignment.

Does anyone had any experience with this, or want to weigh in on the matter?

Thanks!

-TD

Does anyone have any experience using the dovetail adapter from Tech Sights?

I recently purchased a set of sights and a dovetail adapter for a .920 barrel from Tech Sights for my 10/22-T. I just moved and don't have a vice or work bench set up, so I took the sights to the shop where I purchased the rifle (Four Seasons) to have them installed (complimentary - good guys at FS). However, the rifle came back to me without the dovetail adapter installed. The gunsmith there told me the adapter was out of spec (too big). So I emailed Tech Sights, and they promptly sent me another adapter, but the replacement was exactly the same size.

The problem, per the gunsmith at Four Seasons, is that the adapter easily slides over the .920 barrel. According to him, the fit should be tight enough that it needs to be installed with a hammer. Tech Sights says it should be secured on the barrel with Lock Tight, but the gunsmith said that Lock Tight would be insufficient, and the recoil would quickly shake the sight out of alignment.

Does anyone had any experience with this, or want to weigh in on the matter?

Thanks!

-TD

The gunsmith is correct. LocTite is a thread locker, not an epoxy. You could try epoxy, but it might work so well that you'd never get the thing off.

Mine was also loose. I attached it with the blue loctite like the manual said, knowing what a stupid solution that was and it hasn't come off. The rear site is what shakes loose for me. (even after loctiting) I figure no huge deal.. it's not going into combat.. but it definitely is one of those things that should be better.

Hi Guys,
The trick to using loctite on the barrel adaptor is make sure that the barrel is indeed .920 plus or minus a couple thousands, most of them are. Next clean the inside sleeve of the barrel adaptor and the end of the barrel to be free of oil. Then apply a liberal amount of loctite to both the barrel and the sleeve of the barrel adaptor. Remeber, the loctite only sets when it is deprived of oxygen, so the loctite must fill the gap between the barrel and the sleeve thus not allowing any oxygen pockets that would retard the setting up of the loctite. Believe me, if things are cleaned properly and a sufficiet amount of loctite is applied, things start to lock up with in 5 to 10 minutes. Epoxy would also work as suggested, but the loctite will work well when sufficiently applied on cleaned parts.
One of the most critical things in using loctite is make sure that things are clean. We especially suggest loctite on the screws that attach the sight to the receiver. That receiver is aluminum and 6-48 screws and cannot be overtightened with out damaging the receiver mounting holes. Make sure things are oil free, comfortably snug the screws and then let the loctite do its job.

Larry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom