Question on holsters for IDPA

Don't buy Comp-Tac. Their customer service is the worst I have ever seen... I would be happy to post the emails back and forth between David Wisby and I if anyone doesn't believe it... Pick another brand....

I had an issue with a holster for my STI Spartan last year, it simply did not fit correctly. They took it back and "reworked it" and it still didn't work right. They finally took it back and gave me my money back. While I wasn't happy that they couldn't make it work their customer service was great. Jennifer Berglund was great to deal with. They paid for all the shipping too.

I rock a fobus paddle holster. $25 at a LGS I think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yes.

Since the backpiece is removeable, you can adjust the holster/gun height and cant with simple modifications (USPSA Production and IDPA rules set a maximum drop off the belt and/or cant). I prefer the solid Sting Ray loop over the adjustable one - it is very secure. You can easily open up the front of the holster to comply with whatever rules you are concerned with. Also, you can buy a drop-offset piece separately and use the same holster for Limted/Limited 10 in USPSA.

CompTacs are good, they are just not as versatile or easily customized in my experience.

I have a Fobus OWB with an adjustable back where the CANT can be adjusted. I recently joined IDPA and the rules for this were a bit confusing. Is this kind of FOBUS IDPA legal? Also, being a NH resident, my magazines are 12rds, from what I see in the rules I need 10rd magazines. Am I able to use 12rd magazines? I don't want to spend a chunk of change on neutered magazines.

I have a Fobus OWB with an adjustable back where the CANT can be adjusted. I recently joined IDPA and the rules for this were a bit confusing. Is this kind of FOBUS IDPA legal? Also, being a NH resident, my magazines are 12rds, from what I see in the rules I need 10rd magazines. Am I able to use 12rd magazines? I don't want to spend a chunk of change on neutered magazines.

Which Fobus holster is it? Can you point us toward a picture of it? Can the cant be adjustable while the holster is being worn, or do you have to take it off and use tools to adjust it?

You can use 12 round magazines in IDPA. You just can't load more than 10 rounds in them. Note, however, if those magazines are post-ban, you can't bring them into MA -- that would be a felony.

Regardless of anyone's egalitarian feelings for Uncle Mike's products, this is written on page 32 of the current IDPA rulebook:

"Probably one of the most popular pouch style holsters is the
current variation of the Uncle Mikes Kydex holster which is NOT
suitable for concealed carry or IDPA competition due to its offset
backpiece, which results in excessive offset from the belt/body."

I personally take issue with the "NOT suitable for concealed carry" phrase but it is important to note that the holster is specifically dissallowed.

I am not aware of this being usurped by official addendums, on-line forum clarifications, scribbled notes from Arkansas pinned to some mall ninja's fishing vest, EMPs/solar flares or Elvis sitings and the like so I beleve it still reflects the rules of the sport.

Craig

edited to correct page number reference

I am assuming that the term "pouch holster" (I have never heard the term before) refers to the standard Uncle Mike's OWB Kydex holster. I had initially heard that this holster was not allowed in IDPA matches, then heard via the net that this ban had been lifted. I guess I am the victim of misinformation.

For the sake of experimentation, I just put on an Uncle Mike's OWB Kydex holster for my 5906. I placed it in the prescribed position for USPSA Production Division (just behind the point of the hip). With the belt comfortably snug, the butt of the holstered 5906 is pressing against my rib cage. I then donned a Blade Tech holster for my SIG 226 in the same position. With the 226 holstered, the butt is again against my ribs.
The position of both guns in these two holsters is pretty much identical and you can't expect to get a gun any closer to your body than pressing against your ribs. What gives? I can detect no "excessive offset"; if the gun is stuck against your ribs it is as close to you as it can get.

Which Fobus holster is it? Can you point us toward a picture of it? Can the cant be adjustable while the holster is being worn, or do you have to take it off and use tools to adjust it?

You can use 12 round magazines in IDPA. You just can't load more than 10 rounds in them. Note, however, if those magazines are post-ban, you can't bring them into MA -- that would be a felony.

I won't bring ANY of my firearms in MA, that isn't a problem. The holster I have, needs to be removed from my belt to adjust the CANT, there is a Philips screw that needs to be loosened to adjust the CANT, and then tightened. Here is the link for the holster.

I will likely be purchasing this Fobus holster at some point, the only difference is, this one does not have a paddle, and has belt loops.

Thank you for clearing up my confusion :)

Last edited:
I won't bring ANY of my firearms in MA, that isn't a problem. The holster I have, needs to be removed from my belt to adjust the CANT, there is a Philips screw that needs to be loosened to adjust the CANT, and then tightened.

That functionality is not a problem. If you could adjust it while wearing the holster, then it would be a problem.

Here is the link for the holster.

I will likely be purchasing this Fobus holster at some point, the only difference is, this one does not have a paddle, and has belt loops.

I just can't tell from those links. From the IDPA Rule book:

B. Must be worn on a standard belt of no more than 1 3⁄4” width that must pass through the belt loops on the shooter’s pants.

Most of the models of the Fobus Rotobelt holster that I see are for 2 1/4" belt width. Those aren't legal. What belt width is your holster made for?

C. Must fully cover the trigger of the firearm.

From this picture, which might not accurately depict your holster, it looks a bit dodgy on that:

swmprb214-004.jpg

D. Must carry the firearm in a neutral (vertical) or muzzle rear cant, but have no adjustable cant backpieces. Holster cant that is adjustable by removing bolts and repositioning the backpiece is allowed. Exception: IWB style holsters do not have to meet this particular criterion.

As you can see above the adjustable cant isn't an issue.

H. May not position the firearm where the breech face (autos) or rear of the cylinder (revolvers) is below the center of the belt. NO drop loops are permitted.3 Holsters for females may position the breech face of a pistol or rear of the cylinder of a revolver up to 1 1⁄2” below the center of the belt.

This is something that I can't see from the picture. Where is the breech face of the gun with respect to the center of your belt?

I. Must hold the firearm positioned on the body so an object of 3⁄4”width cannot pass between the shooter’s body and the inside of the firearm when the shooter is standing straight and upright.

This is something that I can't see from the picture. How close does it hold the gun to your body?

If you are going to buy another holster for competition, I would skip that Fobus and get a Comp-Tac or Ready Tactical.

That functionality is not a problem. If you could adjust it while wearing the holster, then it would be a problem.

I just can't tell from those links. From the IDPA Rule book:

Most of the models of the Fobus Rotobelt holster that I see are for 2 1/4" belt width. Those aren't legal. What belt width is your holster made for?

From this picture, which might not accurately depict your holster, it looks a bit dodgy on that:

swmprb214-004.jpg

As you can see above the adjustable cant isn't an issue.

This is something that I can't see from the picture. Where is the breech face of the gun with respect to the center of your belt?

This is something that I can't see from the picture. How close does it hold the gun to your body?

If you are going to buy another holster for competition, I would skip that Fobus and get a Comp-Tac or Ready Tactical.

I just ordered a Comp-Tac International, just to avoid the headaches.

Back
Top Bottom