Question on holsters for IDPA

Is the Blackhawk Serpa concealment holster legal? I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting the discussion on offset back pieces. Also, if it does meet the rules, is it generally considered a good holster for competition?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Its legal but not a good holster. If youre going to be concealed the retention will slow you down. That said this holster has caused a few accidental discharges due to people pulling the trigger during the draw. I guess people still had tension with the trigger finger as the hand went to grip the gun and it went right to the trigger. Otherwise its a nice holster.

I've read a little about ADs from these, but when practicing the draw with my Ruger my finger always ends up on the frame above the trigger guard. Any thought on an alternative? I don't really care about the retention...

Comp Tac paddle holster - straight drop. Very quick draw, high quality, great customer service and fast shipping. Also recommend their double magazine pouch.

Are you concerned about cost at all? Comptac is one of the top two options for sure but I could possibly direct you to less expensive options.
-CP

Are you concerned about cost at all? Comptac is one of the top two options for sure but I could possibly direct you to less expensive options.
-CP

It did strike me as a little pricey, but after so many endorsements... less expensive couldn't hurt! More money for ammo!

I would start with a Kydex Uncle Mike's holster. Cheap and good quality. Your ideas abput holsters will probably change after you shoot a few matches, so start cheap. Do get a good quality stiff gunbelt. The best holster you can by will not work on a cheap floppy belt.

I previously used a Comptac settable cant holster. It came with both paddle and belt loop attachments. I used the belt loop and took off the paddle. The problem for me with this holster was that it rode high and didn't have a speed cut.

I've recently replaced it with a Comptac belt holster. It rides a bit lower (but still legal) and has a speed cut. It is definitely faster for me.

As an SO, Serpa holsters give me the willies.

You do need a good gun belt. I use a Wilderness belt that has Kevlar reinforcement. I had a belt from The Beltman, but mine got floppy quickly.

Last edited:
Does anyone shoot what they carry in these events? Seems a no brainer to me for practical experience. Last year i would use my xdm then do a second round with my pps but i ust stuck the pps in the paddle holster that came with the xdm. Now that i have the mtac minotaur and mag holder i plan on using that with the pps for the shoots.

CompTacs are OK. I like the Blade Tech product with the solid SR back piece better.

You can customize it when you get it to set the height off the belt and open up the front to meet IDPA/USPSA guidelines very easily.

I switched from CT to Blade Tech earlier this year and have not regretted it. You definitely want to avoid the CT holders that slip over the belt. Get something with a better belt retention system - preferably a pass-through design.

Craig

Uncle Mike's Kidex is the best of the cheap options by far. Blade-tech with tech-loc (no offset) is what I use for both games.

-CP (the other Craig)

The standard j-clips on the comptac were pretty bad. When i got my mag pouch i ordered the c-clips and those work great, wish i got those when i first ordered holster to have saved money.

Does anyone shoot what they carry in these events? Seems a no brainer to me for practical experience. Last year i would use my xdm then do a second round with my pps but i ust stuck the pps in the paddle holster that came with the xdm. Now that i have the mtac minotaur and mag holder i plan on using that with the pps for the shoots.

I shoot a 1911. I often carry a 1911. My competition holster is a strong side OWB holster. My carry holster is strong side, either IWB or OWB. So they are quite similar.

It depends upon what you are looking for. If you think of IDPA as training (which I do not), then you might want to shoot your exact carry rig. If you shoot it as a sport, then you want every advantage you can get.

CompTacs are OK. I like the Blade Tech product with the solid SR back piece better.

You can customize it when you get it to set the height off the belt and open up the front to meet IDPA/USPSA guidelines very easily.

I switched from CT to Blade Tech earlier this year and have not regretted it. You definitely want to avoid the CT holders that slip over the belt. Get something with a better belt retention system - preferably a pass-through design.

Craig

I haven't tried Blade tech in a while. Maybe I'll give them another look. Which Blade Tech are you using?

My previous settable cant Comp-tac holster had a somewhat flimsy belt slot -- I've broken one of those before. The one I'm using now seems pretty robust:

Belt-Holster-Back.jpg

Craig

Craig, Is this the holster to which you refer?

SRB (Sting Ray Belt Holster)IDPA Approved :: OWB Belt Holsters :: Blade-Tech Industries

Yes.

Since the backpiece is removeable, you can adjust the holster/gun height and cant with simple modifications (USPSA Production and IDPA rules set a maximum drop off the belt and/or cant). I prefer the solid Sting Ray loop over the adjustable one - it is very secure. You can easily open up the front of the holster to comply with whatever rules you are concerned with. Also, you can buy a drop-offset piece separately and use the same holster for Limted/Limited 10 in USPSA.

CompTacs are good, they are just not as versatile or easily customized in my experience.

Hmm, as you noted at the Nor'easter I shoot a Ruger SR9 and the Bladetech site only lists a holster for the SR9c, Not sure if that would work. Then again, not sure if I'm going to stick with the Ruger. They don't seem to be popular in the sport!

The other good thing about Bladetech is they will make just about anything. I just received a holster for a 4" S&W PC 945 last night - not exactly a common item but they made one for me. I would give them a call. I would be surprised if they did not make a product for the SR9.

Although they work, you are correct, you do not see a lot of Rugers @ IDPA or USPSA matches. If it works for you and you like it, it is the right choice for you. Given the current state of the market, it is better to have a Ruger in your hand than an M&P or a Glock on order.

There is a match in Worcester Saturday. See you and your Ruger there.

I did at first. I noticed two issues with it. First, my holster was great for EDC but that does not equate with great for IDPA. A good EDC holster doesn't need to focus on re-holstering your firearm. In IDPA though, you're doing it constantly. At least twice per stage. Even a great IWB holster will get caught up in your shirt or change its position after a few re-holsterings. I switched to a Kydex from CompTac. Not as great for EDC but fantastic for IDPA.
Second, I carry an M&P 9c for EDC. The small grip and short barrel are great for that but they are painful for IPDA. I could have stuck with it but its a real challenge to be competitive with for me. At the end of the day, I see it as a competition so I'm unwilling to handicap myself beyond what genetics and McDonalds have already. I use a full size of the same gun now and it's a lot easier to be competitive.

Why would you spend $20 or $30 on a junk holster, when if you pay $60+, you have a much better product, and probably one that you would have ended up with eventually anyway?

Uncle Mike's Kydex holsters are not junk. They are serviceable holsters and great for a newcomer to the shooting sports. As I mentioned in my previous post, a newcomer's ideas on holsters will most likely change as he or she gains experience. The idea is to gain this experience before investing a lot of $. Holsters are like shoes and gloves; one size or style does not fit everyone.

Regardless of anyone's egalitarian feelings for Uncle Mike's products, this is written on page 32 of the current IDPA rulebook:

"Probably one of the most popular pouch style holsters is the
current variation of the Uncle Mikes Kydex holster which is NOT
suitable for concealed carry or IDPA competition due to its offset
backpiece, which results in excessive offset from the belt/body."

I personally take issue with the "NOT suitable for concealed carry" phrase but it is important to note that the holster is specifically dissallowed.

I am not aware of this being usurped by official addendums, on-line forum clarifications, scribbled notes from Arkansas pinned to some mall ninja's fishing vest, EMPs/solar flares or Elvis sitings and the like so I beleve it still reflects the rules of the sport.

Craig

edited to correct page number reference

Last edited:
I am not aware of this being usurped by official addendums, on-line forum clarifications, scribbled notes from Arkansas pinned to some mall ninja's fishing vest, EMPs/solar flares or Elvis sitings and the like so I beleve it still reflects the rules of the sport.

Missed one-MD's interpretation of non existent rule

Don't buy Comp-Tac. Their customer service is the worst I have ever seen... I would be happy to post the emails back and forth between David Wisby and I if anyone doesn't believe it... Pick another brand....

Back
Top Bottom