• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about Swiss 7.5....

Hello!

I've ordered another C&R rifle (no, Dear, it's not another gun, just PARTS [smile] ) a Swiss K31. While I'm waiting for it and the reloading dies to arrive I started looking through my stock of reloading components.

I have about 1000 jacketed bullets in .310 caliber. I note that the Swiss K31 calls for a bullet diameter of .308. My question is: can I safely load these .310 bullets for use in the "Swiss Miss?"

I would be using light (starting) loads and I'm only interested in punching holes in paper. I've used slightly oversized cast bullets in the past, but lead is much more forgiving than FMJ!!!

What say you experts?

Thanks!

Center44

I wouldn't. Depending on how tight the bore is, you could very well end up with an over pressure situation.

Thanks for the replies! I'll stick with the .308's for the K31. I guess I'll just have to buy another mil-surp that will use the .310 bullets. I kinda like that solution. [grin]

Center44

I have some load data on the K31 is you're interested, including sabots with 55gr FMJ's. I've been loading in this caliber for a few years and have some good tack driving loads.

Savage110FP said:
I have some load data on the K31 is you're interested, including sabots with 55gr FMJ's. I've been loading in this caliber for a few years and have some good tack driving loads.

Hello, Savage110! You must be psychic! While I was in my back yard this afternoon the BBT rolled up and the nice man brought me a long box containing my eagerly-awaited "Swiss Miss." The wood is slightly dinged up but the metal looks pristine. [smile]

I have some dies and other reloading stuff on the way. I would LOVE to have any reloading data you would be willing to pass along. Many thanks for the offer!

Mike

I'll go through my log book then post some info in the reloading forum shortly. Look under the butt plate, you should find a tag with the name and unit of the Swiss soldier that used the rifle. I own 2 and both had a tag.

I found the plastic tag with the personal info under the butt plate as described. Pretty cool. My son found the house in a satellite photo in a google search. I may try writing to him to let him know what has become of his rifle, and to thank him for the good care he gave it.

Nice historical connection.

Mike

Here's some data.

150gr Sierra match king, H4831 50grains, 2600fps
" " H4350 48 grains, 2580fps

168gr Sierra match king, H4831 49 grains, 2578fps
" " H4350 48 grains, 2578fps

175gr Sierra match king, H4831 48 grains, 2540fps
" " H4350 47 grains, 2500fps

.30 caliber sabots, use any .30 caliber plastic sabot designed for holding .22 caliber bullets. Seat them a hair below the taper, set a very light crimp and check them after each crimp, too much will expand the front and the bullet will sit too loosely.

A2230 46grains, 55gr FMJ, 3200fps. Very accurate!

Nickle said:
NO!

Don't do it. Use 308 dia bullets. I'd suggest getting rid of the .310 bullets to someone reloading 7.62x54R or 7.62x39, depending on the bullet weight.

Nickle,
That's funny.. In a PM, I suggested he save these 123gr bullets for loading in 7.62X39.

Great minds! [smile]

Nickle said:
NO!

Don't do it. Use 308 dia bullets. I'd suggest getting rid of the .310 bullets to someone reloading 7.62x54R or 7.62x39, depending on the bullet weight.

Hi, Nickle!

Advice taken. I probably knew the answer before I asked the question. 30+ years of reloading was saying "NO" but I had to ask! [wink] The bullets have been reserved for 7.62x39 as the weight is ideal. Thanks for the answer(s).

Later!

Mike

Savage110FP said:
Here's some data.

150gr Sierra match king, H4831 50grains, 2600fps
" " H4350 48 grains, 2580fps

168gr Sierra match king, H4831 49 grains, 2578fps
" " H4350 48 grains, 2578fps

175gr Sierra match king, H4831 48 grains, 2540fps
" " H4350 47 grains, 2500fps

.30 caliber sabots, use any .30 caliber plastic sabot designed for holding .22 caliber bullets. Seat them a hair below the taper, set a very light crimp and check them after each crimp, too much will expand the front and the bullet will sit too loosely.

A2230 46grains, 55gr FMJ, 3200fps. Very accurate!

Hi, Savage110:

Much thanks for the load data. You've probably saved me quite a few bucks by pointing me in the direction of 2 good powders. Just curious - have you done any loading for ANY caliber with IMR-4064? I have ordered several mil-surp rifles and from the limited load data I have that seems to be a common powder for several of the rifles.

Your info on the sabot loads was welcome. I have never loaded sabot rounds before. Actually, the majority of my reloading for years has been for handguns and I'm only now starting in on the rifles. You can thank (or blame!) that on the suggestion here to get a CCR03 license! [smile]

Thanks again. If I come across a "miracle" load I will be happy to post it.

Later!

Mike (who now needs another gun safe....)

Back
Top Bottom