• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about 30-30 projectiles

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
I am looking at reloading some 30-30 cartridges for my lever action Marlin as factory loads are very hard to find. Fortunately, I have about a hundred rounds but I need to start thinking about the future.

I'm aware that these should be loaded with soft point or round nose projectiles but I have seen ballistic tipped bullets that I might be interested in trying. To my understanding, these are designed to be used with lever action rifles. I see many projectiles in the 150-170 grain weights and I'm confused. Can I use any .308 projectile in a 30-30 lever action as long as the nose is soft/rounded or plastic?

Where I moved to out in the Midwest, a 150 yard shot is not that uncommon and I am looking to get a bit more range out of a cartridge. I'm under the impression that ballistic tipped projectile will give you another 75-100 yards.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The issue of refraining from using sharp tipped bullets in a tube fed rifle is that its "possible" that under heavy recoil the tip of a round could pierce and ignite the primer on the round forward. I have yet to read any circumstance where this actually happened. Tube fed rounds are immobilized by a spring and plunger so even under recoil there is some movement "give" so as to absorb recoil shock. Ive shot full bang 30-30 Hornady FTX tipped factory ammo through my Henry and zero issues. Imo it more internet spread fear than a real safety threat . I shoot soft loads through my Henry using a cast 170 gr RNFP and Alliant 2400 at about 1700 fps . Super fun to shoot banging steel gongs out to 200 yds.

I am looking at reloading some 30-30 cartridges for my lever action Marlin as factory loads are very hard to find. Fortunately, I have about a hundred rounds but I need to start thinking about the future.

I'm aware that these should be loaded with soft point or round nose projectiles but I have seen ballistic tipped bullets that I might be interested in trying. To my understanding, these are designed to be used with lever action rifles. I see many projectiles in the 150-170 grain weights and I'm confused. Can I use any .308 projectile in a 30-30 lever action as long as the nose is soft/rounded or plastic?

Where I moved to out in the Midwest, a 150 yard shot is not that uncommon and I am looking to get a bit more range out of a cartridge. I'm under the impression that ballistic tipped projectile will give you another 75-100 yards.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
So your intentions are to hunt right?

Yes bullet diameter is .308” so look for that. 30-30 is up to distance shooting but keep an eye on energy for intended game. It’s not a super hot cartridge and my guess is you’ll run out of accuracy before you run out of killing power on medium game.

Flat points or soft points. The ballistic tips from Hornady are ok but I’ve heard mixed reviews on their actual terminal performance.

Chain detonation can happen. Very rare but it can happen. Not worth testing it.

Basically it comes down to can you shoot that far accurately from a field position? Will your ammo deliver the energy needed to kill the game?
Should you just use this as an excuse to buy another rifle in a more long range cartridge? Heck you can keep the lever and downgrade to a Henry 😈 with a box mag and use any ammo you want.

Although it's subject to "Murphy's law", you could use spitzer and other pointed bullets in your .30-30 lever gun in a single-shot or 1 + 1 scenario, but if you load up the tube, the risk of lighting off the rounds still exists. You risk an accident if these rounds are left laying around for an unsuspecting shooter.
There are a couple of box magazine fed .30-30s where pointed bullets are acceptable, but you don't have these.
I've run short rounds in my Marlin 336 (.35 Rem.) in this fashion (1 + 1), as they bind, if loaded into the tubular magazine (more than one, at least).
The 50gr HP is too short to feed properly from the tubular magazine, but it can be fired 1 + 1 w/o issue. (Technically, it's undersized at .355" diameter, but it shoots fine at 40 yards... the limit of my backyard range).

View: https://i.imgur.com/VxJAZYY.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/KazlYk5.jpg

Last edited:
How would the type of tip give you 75-100 yards more range? Jack.
Hi Jack...I'm only speaking from the advertising information on these bullets. The flat/round nose bullets usually used aren't nearly as aerodynamic as the ones with a more pronounced point. Their blurb says minimum 75 yards more range. I just took a deer this morning with a round nose 170 grain bullet at about 130 yards...dropped it in it's tracks. just got done hanging it. It's a medium sized doe.

Hi Jack...I'm only speaking from the advertising information on these bullets. The flat/round nose bullets usually used aren't nearly as aerodynamic as the ones with a more pronounced point. Their blurb says minimum 75 yards more range. I just took a deer this morning with a round nose 170 grain bullet at about 130 yards...dropped it in it's tracks. just got done hanging it. It's a medium sized doe.
Congrats on the deer. Keep up the good work! Jack.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Factory ammo isn't too difficult to find. I'll PM you a vendor whos got multiple flavors in stock starting at $26 per box. Free shipping on $99 orders too. I'll also send you some links for 30-30 bullets.

Congrats on the deer. Keep up the good work! Jack.
Thanks! I have two more doe tags...went out to dump the guts in the woods just now and there were three more in the field I shot this one in. I'll need to process this one tomorrow or the day after to free up my only hanger LOL...first world problems...and I need to go out today or tomorrow and buy a freezer, one thing we left behind when we moved from NH.

Factory ammo isn't too difficult to find. I'll PM you a vendor whos got multiple flavors in stock starting at $26 per box. Free shipping on $99 orders too. I'll also send you some links for 30-30 bullets.
Thanks...there's a pawn/gun shop here in town that I do electronics repair for...he said he can get some too for about the same price as you had or we can do a barter he said :cool:. A lot of bartering happens around here.

Your 30-30 rifle will take down deer as far as you feel comfortable making the shot.
All our lever guns 30-30 , 35 tem , and some other odd ball we had 32-40 or some shit where set shot to point blank range of minute of vital zone of white tail with a good broad side presentation. Iron sights diopter ( peep ) rear sight.
So load up and shoot what ever gives you the best chance with a cold bore shot and follow up.

For the most part 3” high at 100 yards was good out to about where you can see…

Thanks...I've not reloaded 30-30 yet so I haven't really looked at the ballistics of the different loads/bullet weight/etc. I reload lots of other calibers but not 30-30. I did buy 30-30 dies a couple years back in anticipation that I would end up doing some reloading.

Thanks...I've not reloaded 30-30 yet so I haven't really looked at the ballistics of the different loads/bullet weight/etc. I reload lots of other calibers but not 30-30. I did buy 30-30 dies a couple years back in anticipation that I would end up doing some reloading.
Are you adding a scope to your 30-30 for hunting ? Most of the 30-30's i've shot use a crappy buckhorn type cheap rear sight and a very short sight radius. I upgraded my Henry to use Skinner apertuer sights and the rear sight is moved far back on the receiver. I'm zerod for 50 meters, and can actually lower the skinner rear apatuer to precisely dope out to 200 meters. I have my sight calculated for my 170 gr 1700 fps handloads.

Are you adding a scope to your 30-30 for hunting ? Most of the 30-30's i've shot use a crappy buckhorn type cheap rear sight and a very short sight radius. I upgraded my Henry to use Skinner apertuer sights and the rear sight is moved far back on the receiver. I'm zerod for 50 meters, and can actually lower the skinner rear apatuer to precisely dope out to 200 meters. I have my sight calculated for my 170 gr 1700 fps handloads.
Yes, I have a crappy Tasco scope that seems to work "ok". I think it came with the rifle when I bought it used in 1982 but can't remember for sure. I'll be looking for a better scope after this season. I wanted a Nikon BDC scope but waited too long. It appears Nikon is out of the rifle scope business. [hmmm]

Here's pics of my Henry Brass with the Skinner peep . Love the Skinners for short range shooting , aperture sights really help me with accuracy with my terrible eyes.

IMG_20221114_205158465.jpg

Getting the correct front sight blade height was a real PIA given the fact i'm running a lower velocity load. I got a very tall front sight.

IMG_20221114_205210879.jpg

Here's pics of my Henry Brass with the Skinner peep . Love the Skinners for short range shooting , aperture sights really help me with accuracy with my terrible eyes.

View attachment 686350

Getting the correct front sight blade height was a real PIA given the fact i'm running a lower velocity load. I got a very tall front sight.

View attachment 686353
Its usually the opposite when running lower velocities also where the receiver mounted adjustable sight really helps if your changing ammo specs
The closer you can get your eye to the aperture the better.
“They” understood this 100+ years ago and hand the tang sights.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Berry's have a 30-30 150 gr projectile from Midway I've learned to love in both 30-30 and 30-06 with 13 gr Red Dot or 18 gr 2400... don't laugh because it's accurate and delivers 44 mag energy - very accurate.

Berry's have a 30-30 150 gr projectile from Midway I've learned to love in both 30-30 and 30-06 with 13 gr Red Dot or 18 gr 2400... don't laugh because it's accurate and delivers 44 mag energy - very accurate.
Reminds me of a thread on another forum. The guy explained that he shot a deer with a 145 at 1300 FPS. On one forum he said it was done with a 357 and one forum he said it was a 9mm.
He was nearly dragged into the streets and killed on the 9mm forum and he was told what a good job he did on the 357 forum.

He proved a good point that it’s all relative but people have ideas about certain metrics that make or break something.

Reminds me of a thread on another forum. The guy explained that he shot a deer with a 145 at 1300 FPS. On one forum he said it was done with a 357 and one forum he said it was a 9mm.
He was nearly dragged into the streets and killed on the 9mm forum and he was told what a good job he did on the 357 forum.

He proved a good point that it’s all relative but people have ideas about certain metrics that make or break something.
Answered an add for a mod 70 30-06 featherweight 1982 bought it not realizing the dirty rifling was really junk - beautiful on the outside - got a new/used barrel from eBay and learned the hard way how to replace it but it got done - now it's beautiful and shoots.

Berry's 150 rn 30-30 projectiles at 1600-1800'/s are my great fun and if required my best guess these won't bounce off a deer. First started with 16 gr Hercules 2400/180 gr cast Lyman was hooked on the ragged hole accuracy at 100 yard from a Military stocked Remington 1941 03.

Great fun - Lyman 15 X super target-spot professional mounted on all original wood/hardware - took a moose out of Quebec from canoe at 300 yds with ROUND NOSE 180 gr Remington factory - something about RNFB projectiles seems to be magic.

Answered an add for a mod 70 30-06 featherweight 1982 bought it not realizing the dirty rifling was really junk - beautiful on the outside - got a new/used barrel from eBay and learned the hard way how to replace it but it got done - now it's beautiful and shoots.

Berry's 150 rn 30-30 projectiles at 1600-1800'/s are my great fun and if required my best guess these won't bounce off a deer. First started with 16 gr Hercules 2400/180 gr cast Lyman was hooked on the ragged hole accuracy at 100 yard from a Military stocked Remington 1941 03.

Great fun - Lyman 15 X super target-spot professional mounted on all original wood/hardware - took a moose out of Quebec from canoe at 300 yds with ROUND NOSE 180 gr Remington factory - something about RNFB projectiles seems to be magic.
They don’t sound like they would bounce off deer. I understand. In some states there’s an ability to shoot very far and a trajectory like a rainbow is not desired.
Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind seeing which new whizbang cartridge is going to be on everybody’s wishlist for the year but for hunting cartridges I’ve been more impressed with the 350 legend than any of the bottleneck cartridges that have come out lately

They don’t sound like they would bounce off deer. I understand. In some states there’s an ability to shoot very far and a trajectory like a rainbow is not desired.
Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind seeing which new whizbang cartridge is going to be on everybody’s wishlist for the year but for hunting cartridges I’ve been more impressed with the 350 legend than any of the bottleneck cartridges that have come out lately
My ole Dad said it best... get yourself a 30-06 and you'll find ammunition anywhere in the world. I would add... and it will drop anything you encounter.

Back
Top Bottom