Question About Police Dept. and collage

I'm currently returning to MA from my time as an Infantryman in the active army and want to become a police officer (partly because I always wanted to, partly because my MOS left me remarkably unqualified for normal jobs.) and my questions is this.

Do Police Departments, by and far, have any programs for officers who wish to continue their education in a collage or university setting?
Thanks in no small part to the taxpayers I served, I have an excellent G.I. Bill which will all but put me through a four year criminal justice degree and I have no intention of wasting it. So should I try for a police department now and put school off (by going through any programs they may, or may not offer), or should I go to school and get my degree first?

Thank you in advance for any help.

A friend of mine is a campus cop and they let him go to school for free. Try working at a college then try for a bigger department

I'm not sure about what MA departments might offer, however I would suggest possibly considering another major. I'm going through a LEO academy currently (outside MA) and there are quite a few guys in my class with CJ degrees, as well as a few instructors with CJ degrees. They all say that the degree isn't really an asset to their career at all and definitely wouldn't do much for them if their LEO career didn't work out or if they hadn't been hired.

Well since, Scriv isn't here.... (that misplaced comma should spike your sarcasm meter...)

It's college, not collage.

A collage is a composition of different materials on a common backing or an array of images.

A college is an institution of higher learning, or at least it's supposed to be, though judging by the kids graduating these days it's hard to say that's true anymore.

Well since, Scriv isn't here....

It's college, not collage.

A collage is a composition of different materials on a common backing or an array of images.

A college is an institution of higher learning, or at least it's supposed to be, though judging by the kids graduating these days it's hard to say that's true anymore.

I was gonna something snarky involving a picture of a collage and a picture of a college, but I was too lazy to do the google image search, lol.

A collage of college decals:
images

Or just hookup with this girl:
collage.jpg

I don't have any decent advice for you, but from one grunt to another, welcome home. I know it's a hard transition and I hope you handle it better than I.

I'm currently returning to MA from my time as an Infantryman in the active army and want to become a police officer (partly because I always wanted to, partly because my MOS left me remarkably unqualified for normal jobs.) and my questions is this.

Do Police Departments, by and far, have any programs for officers who wish to continue their education in a collage or university setting?
Thanks in no small part to the taxpayers I served, I have an excellent G.I. Bill which will all but put me through a four year criminal justice degree and I have no intention of wasting it. So should I try for a police department now and put school off (by going through any programs they may, or may not offer), or should I go to school and get my degree first?

Thank you in advance for any help.

On a serious response to your post, thank you for serving and I would suggest working right away and doing night classes to continue your education. Many base courses can be cheaply taken at community colleges and have your credits transferred later should you choose. It doesn't make sense, IMO, for you to take on debt now of going to school full time.

Working at a college PD will provide free college tuition (which with the GI Bill may not be meaningful in this case) to employees (and oftentimes their families too).

BUT, working at a college PD is VERY DIFFERENT than being a "street cop" in a town/city. You are mostly protecting these dear children from their own stupidity and the objective is NOT to arrest them unless all else fails. [I worked at a major college PD PT for a number of years while at the same time I was a municipal PT PO and the contrast is very stark. I worked one shift at the college with a former MP and he just wanted to crack skulls and when he wouldn't listen to what I told him OUR JOB was, I went to our Lt. (FT PO) and told him never to partner me up with him again. He washed out in short order as he couldn't adapt to what a college PO is all about.]

Even with what municipal PDs have to deal with today, everything from "my darling 13 yo refuses to go to school" calls to "there is a snake in my back yard", I'd hazard a guess that a BS in Psychology might be a better degree to go after!

I am unaware of any municipal PD in MA which will pay to send you to college. They will send you to MPTC Academy and you can beg to go to various seminars/short classes on specific topics, but that is it.

Good luck and thank you for your service!

Thanks for the answers all.
I wanted to minor in sociology, perhaps a look into that as a major may be a better option in light of the new information.
and... since I am apparently retarded I guess someone will need a remedial English class regardless!
"The Army no teach 11 bang bang how write English"

Thanks for the answers all.
I wanted to minor in sociology, perhaps a look into that as a major may be a better option in light of the new information.
and... since I am apparently retarded I guess someone will need a remedial English class regardless!
"The Army no teach 11 bang bang how write English"

Thank you for your service!

I would highly recommend getting your education! A lot of departments are hiring people who have degrees. I know most bigger cities PD's require at least 64 credits. The degree doesn't matter, just as long as you are educated. On the flip side, if you do go to school and get a degree a lot of the older LEO's will raze you, (will happen either way as a rookie - but education gives them more ammo). I am currently going to school online. Here we have 3 levels of officer's 1) Basic Certificate, 2) Intermediate Certificate, 3) Advanced Certificate. Each of which opens up different pay scales and training opportunities. It is a state wide certificate system, so it goes with you from department to department. I believe it is in Colorado where they are pushing to get it so that all new recruits have a minimum A.A.S.

If you are on the G.I. Bill and school is free or at least greatly discounted, it is very much so worth it to you. I know a Trooper who is a flippin' drug hound, and I mean him - he has no dog, he went to school to learn about plants; he makes busts all the time. He is an amazing cop. Choose what you want to do and excel at it!

Thanks again for your service, we greatly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom