• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about my AR

I recently completed my DPMS lower (my first build and I didn't even scratch it!) with a 20" BCM upper I bought from Kittery. I haven't been able to test fire it yet, but I was just testing it to see if it would manually cycle properly and I found this from my ejected round.

IMAG0072.jpg

Please tell me that's not normal, and what I should do to fix it. Thanks!

ETA if you right click the picture and open it in a new tab/window, you can see it full size.

With the floating firing pin it is very common to have that.

It may vary depending on ammo since manufacturers have different strength primers.

Very rare to have a slam fire.

I've seen some replace the firing pin with a lighter titanium pin. Its supposed to reduce this - but I have no experience with it to say one way or the other.

If slam firing is a concern, you can guide the action and slowly close it via the charging handle, than use the forward assist to finish closing the action. A bit overkill in my opinion, but an option if you're cambering a round in a place where a discharge would be a real problem - like your home.
You can also use snap caps to test functionality in a completely safe way.

Snap caps would be entirely useless for checking if a slam fire would occur.

And as has been said, this is normal for an AR. With quality ammo, it should never be an issue.

i've put Federal 55 gr. and Lake City 62 gr through my stag 3. never had a slam fire and i get a defined dimple on chambering.

Dummy rounds should be used for checking function in your home. You really shouldn't be chambering rounds in your home( if so be very safe). Your pic shows more of a little spec. My stag puts a decent mark on chambered unfired rounds.....yet to have a missfire.
Only slam fire I have witnessed was with some 223 loaded with benchrest match primers that later we found to be not seated deaply enough.....the dangers of shooting dads old reloads!!!!. If this is your major concern I assume you did well with your build.

Snap caps would be entirely useless for checking if a slam fire would occur.

And as has been said, this is normal for an AR. With quality ammo, it should never be an issue.

I suggested snap caps be used to test functionality in a safe way that does not involve live ammo - not to see if a slam fire would occur. Please re-read my post.

Dummy rounds should be used for checking function in your home. You really shouldn't be chambering rounds in your home( if so be very safe). Your pic shows more of a little spec. My stag puts a decent mark on chambered unfired rounds.....yet to have a missfire.
Only slam fire I have witnessed was with some 223 loaded with benchrest match primers that later we found to be not seated deaply enough.....the dangers of shooting dads old reloads!!!!. If this is your major concern I assume you did well with your build.

This was new Hornady ammo as I don't hand load as of yet, and it was pointed in a safe direction. This may be my first build of an AR, but I'm not a complete noob as far as weapon handling. The first time I chambered anything it was a Magpul dummy round and I didn't notice any dimpling until I test fired it. That's why I was concerned about the dimple in the primer.

Nothing wrong with chambering rounds at home, just as always obey all safety rules.

One of these days I'm going to torture test a bunch of different primers and see if I can induce a slamfire, but I'm yet to see one.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Snap caps are great and a small price to pay not to shoot your wee wee off.

Get a lighter titanium firing pin , they aren't too expensive and are a must have for most custom builds.

Nothing wrong with chambering rounds at home, just as always obey all safety rules.

One of these days I'm going to torture test a bunch of different primers and see if I can induce a slamfire, but I'm yet to see one.

Mike

I saw one in 09; but, to be fair the SPC in question had chambered this particular round what must have been a couple hundred times. It was the top round in his only PMAG. To the OP, it's normal. I've never seen an AR pattern rifle not do this.

I recently completed my DPMS lower (my first build and I didn't even scratch it!) with a 20" BCM upper I bought from Kittery. I haven't been able to test fire it yet, but I was just testing it to see if it would manually cycle properly and I found this from my ejected round.

IMAG0072.jpg

Please tell me that's not normal, and what I should do to fix it. Thanks!

ETA if you right click the picture and open it in a new tab/window, you can see it full size.

Normal, as observered since 1970.

I can pick up the brass for you if you don't want it. 500 at a time is best. [smile]

That is common on any free floating setup.

Back
Top Bottom