Question about KSG shotgun

92G

Question for you people.

I've never owned any keltec products, but I purchased a KSG shotgun recently. Got a great deal on a brand new one so couldn't pass it up.

It has not yet been fired, but today I noticed that with dry fire the slide release does not unlock. In other words, if I pull the trigger and I hear "click", I then have to push down on the slide release tab to rack the forend (eject/feed). On my mossberg and remington shotguns, the slide release tab automatically depresses if it's fired live or dry fire.

so my question is this normal for a KSG? I can't imagine that firing a live round should fix the issue? There is no way it was designed to require slide release to be depressed between each shot...and I watched hickok45 + military arms channel and those guys are not depressing the slide release in between in shot.

appreciate your input...and please don't just tell me "oh it's keltec another POS" cuz that isn't helpful.
thx.
-squib308

The answer you are searching will be reveal if you take the KSG to the range. Find some 3" slug and it's a hoot to shoot it. Mind your shoulder as the recoil might bruise it.

Why purchase a 15 rds shotgun and not shoot it.

I love my KSG. Have it since Keltec released the shotgun.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

figured out the issue.
the hammer was getting caught on the stock, and therefore was not able to come forward and hit the firing pin. definitely glad i didn't try to fire it at the range with such an issue.

i field stripped it and dremelled a little plastic off the inside of the stock so the hammer can move freely. this doesn't exactly inspire confidence in Kel Tec, especially since this was a brand new factory product. WTF.

anyway its fixed now but this is also a potentially very dangerous malfunciton to have. if the hammer is stuck in the rear position, the trigger is no longer holding it back but rather the plastic stock was obstructing the trigger from moving forward. if that occured with a live round it could hang-up and then automatically discharge if the stock no longer held the hammer (like a hang fire).

my plans now are to put another 100 or so rounds through the KSG to make sure it's reliable. tonight i fired 25 and it went great.

Back
Top Bottom