Question about FTF rifle sale

What is the best way to find out if an NH resident interested in buying my rifle is allowed to do so under NH law (basically, no felonies)?
Is an LTC the only document that proves you have not been convicted of a felony?

For handguns there is the "person has a CCW or is personally known to you"
thing. Not sure if it applies to rifles or not.

If you are really paranoid, use an FFL. There's probably one that will do
a long gun transfer for $20 or less.

-Mike

What is the best way to find out if an NH resident interested in buying my rifle is allowed to do so under NH law (basically, no felonies)?
Is an LTC the only document that proves you have not been convicted of a felony?

Felonies are not the only disqualifier, a FFL sale will pretty much CYA since they do the background check, but if you have no reason to believe they they are a "prohibited person" and they produce ID proving they are a NH resident, and sign a bill of sale that includes a statement that they are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm, then you can reasonably argue that you met the intent if not the letter of the law in the sale. A copy of their drivers license for your records is a good thing too.

Thanks. I thought I would check with some others who are more versed than I at these things.

So should I just record the drivers license and LTC number or find a photocopier?

I have been on both ends of this, and usually I bring my DL and a copy, the seller looks at both and verifies the DL matches the copy, I sign a B.O.S. keeping a copy for myself so I can say where I got the gun from.

I have also bought and sold stuff to fellow NES'ers on a handshake because we were "personally known" to each other. I knew their screen name, they knew mine!

Better stay away from the photocopier. Its illegal.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxi/263/263-12.htm

Easily resolved.... there's a qualifier in the law....

VII. Photograph, photostat, duplicate, or in any manner reproduce any license to drive a motor vehicle or facsimile thereof in such a manner that it could be mistaken for a valid license, or have in his possession any such photograph, photostat, duplicate, reproduction or facsimile unless specifically authorized by the director.

If you really wanted to be pedantic you could write "NOT VALID FOR DRIVING" on the photocopy or something, but IMO that's overkill. The intent of the law is prevent someone from making something that looks just like a regular DL. That obviously
isn't the case here.

-Mike

Better stay away from the photocopier. Its illegal.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxi/263/263-12.htm

More fudderey. [rolleyes]

There is nothing in that passage about recording or copying a license for business use such as recording a sale. </channeling Scrivner>

From section X of your link:
Nothing in this paragraph shall prohibit a person from transferring, in non-electronic form or format, personal information contained on the face of a license to another person, provided that the consent of the license holder is obtained if the transfer is not to a law enforcement agency.

Easily resolved.... there's a qualifier in the law....

If you really wanted to be pedantic you could write "NOT VALID FOR DRIVING" on the photocopy or something, but IMO that's overkill. The intent of the law is prevent someone from making something that looks just like a regular DL. That obviously
isn't the case here.

-Mike

More fudderey. [rolleyes]

There is nothing in that passage about recording or copying a license for business use such as recording a sale. </channeling Scrivner>

From section X of your link:

Mike, look at part X.

MrTwigg, I assume that "fudderey" [rolleyes] is supposed to be an insult. Sorry, I don't feel insulted.

The legislative intent of the statute was not to prevent someone from taking out a pen and paper and writing down the information in front of you, with your knowledge and consent, it was, rather, to prevent someone from surreptitiously recording your personal information, without your knowledge or consent, by a quick scan/swipe, etc., especially during a business transaction.

Back
Top Bottom