Question about an AR-15..

btnh6668

NES Member
I saw a new AR-15 colt 223. for 1500. I was wondering if thats the going rate these days or if that is a bit over priced. I cannot remember for the life of me what the model was but im just hoping to get a basic idea. Thanks

Guys, I bet both of you know as well as I and all that it's just as likely a new post-ban AR with perhaps a rail upgrade or some nice BUIS priced at $1500; the newb, panicked and/or emotionally driven person price.

This is pre-ban, from a dealer? If so, that's probably about the right price.

+1 on that. Preban Colts are running from $1000 to $1600 on the national market, depending on model, condition, etc. Please note that preban "anything other than Colts" are costing about $1200 to $1600 in MA, but only $900 or less anywhere else.

Colt rifles will hold value, even on the preban market.

But, buying a recently manufactured Colt in MA is a waste of time and money.

+

But, buying a recently manufactured Colt in MA is a waste of time and money.

Why is that the case? I don't know much about new Colts since until recently they could not be found in MA with much regularity. But, are they of lower quality than older colts?

While I own a pre-ban AR-15 now, it's a carbine and I really wanted the collapsible stock. If I was building an A4 style rife, I could live without the FS.

Pre-panic prices for new Bushmaster were around $800, colts must have been more than that right?

If the choice was a pre-ban colt versus a new one for the same price, why get the old one unless you NEED the extra evil features?

Why is that the case? I don't know much about new Colts since until recently they could not be found in MA with much regularity. But, are they of lower quality than older colts?

They've gotten past the "large pin" foolishness, but I think they still install the sear block... I would ont buy one. There is no need to settle for that crap (unless you live in MA and it is pre-ban - in which case it won't have any of that foolishness).

I believe it was a brand new AR colt, not pre-ban

Most of the ones I have heard about are "new-old" they have not been fired but where made by colt during the federal AWB. I could be wrong though as it's just impossible to understand all the stupid gun laws we have in this state.

They've gotten past the "large pin" foolishness, but I think they still install the sear block... I would not buy one. There is no need to settle for that crap (unless you live in MA and it is pre-ban - in which case it won't have any of that foolishness).

Pre-ban Colts have the sear block.

I was thinking of the "post ban" Colts. If you are stuck in Ma**h***land, you might as well buy preban Colts.

While I own a pre-ban AR-15 now, it's a carbine and I really wanted the collapsible stock. If I was building an A4 style rife, I could live without the FS.

Pre-panic prices for new Bushmaster were around $800, colts must have been more than that right?

If the choice was a pre-ban colt versus a new one for the same price, why get the old one unless you NEED the extra evil features?

If you're buying a Colt rifle, (pre-ban, post ban, no-ban, all-ban, all-bran), what you're buying is a rifle built to spec, with high grade components. I would shy away from a ban compliant Colt - simply because I despise the silly brake they use and in M4 configuration, the pinned stock, but that's a personal preference. The sear block has been a part of Colt SA rifles for some time now and is only a hinderance if you want to drop in triggers. Other than that - Colt AR's are GTG, but in my eyes, if I were shopping for a lower, I'd buy something else to build on, but for a complete rifle, it's hard to beat a Colt...

I bought both my Colts, used but in excellent condition, for $900 each. They're great rifles, but I'd be hard pressed to pay $1500 for a new off-the-rack AR-15, unless it had some unusual bells and whistles. Is it really worth the extra 40% for a 'new' rifle? What else could you do with that $600. That's at least a couple cases of ammo...

The sear block was never an issue for me, until I tried to install a Timney trigger and couldn't. That really pissed me off.

I'll never diss anyone who buys Colt ARs. If you find the right deal, awesome. But, I've always been happy with my 'cheap' ARs.

I bought both my Colts, used but in excellent condition, for $900 each. They're great rifles, but I'd be hard pressed to pay $1500 for a new off-the-rack AR-15, unless it had some unusual bells and whistles. Is it really worth the extra 40% for a 'new' rifle? What else could you do with that $600. That's at least a couple cases of ammo...

The sear block was never an issue for me, until I tried to install a Timney trigger and couldn't. That really pissed me off.

Your point is valid but i have been unable to find a decent AR for under 1300. I saw that new one for 1500 so i figured that would be an option. I know very little of Ar's that's why i ask the experts.

S&W had a couple of M&P15ORCs on the shelf today, plus a bunch of FTs. The ORCs retail for 1100, actual price should be a little less.

If you need instant gratification, it may well be worth the $1500.00 to buy a Colt. You're buying a rifle that is a cut above most. Still, if you have the patience to build, you can assemble your own. If done properly, it can be as good as or even better than a Colt at a lesser cost. I paid around $800.00 +/- for my rifle. If I were to put it on a rack, it would easily fetch twice what I have into it....

Damn.
I paid about 850 for my Stag
I'd never pay 1500 unless it was custom or came with optics and a blowjob

Back
Top Bottom