Qualified at my Range for 200 yards

Going to back to the 200 as often as I can. As there is no roof, I don't know if it will be accessible this winter - a set of stairs down into a 10 foot deep concrete pit.

Took the trusty Inland M1 carbine and 4 magazines of Aguila. 43 degrees, overcast, and damp. Missed about 10 of the first magazine until the barrel warmed up and I figured out where to aim. Rear sight at 250, POI 1/4 the way up from the bottom of the target. Alternated hits on the second magazine, hitting the last two in a row. I then hit with the entire third magazine for 17 in a row. Missed on the first of the fourth. Tried the two smaller gongs; put one on the small one and two on the middle size one.

Went to the berm to see the business end of the arrangement. Holding back the base of the berm is about 8 old telephone poles. The large gong was bigger than I was told; using my arm I got 18 inches, then 6 inches for the small, and 8 inches for the medium gong.

I found three of the 45/70 rounds from the other day, and one of the tiny .30 carbine. It made the tiniest little 'tink' when it hit.

T

Attachments

• IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Congratz!

We have to be approved like this for the indoor pistol range (as it's below the main lobby) and the 200 yard area as there are houses in pretty close proximity so they want to make sure you understand the physics and can hit the target. I'm new to all this, and just joined my first club but I have no problems with it and having to "prove" myself. Goals baby =)

Going to back to the 200 as often as I can. As there is no roof, I don't know if it will be accessible this winter - a set of stairs down into a 10 foot deep concrete pit.

Took the trusty Inland M1 carbine and 4 magazines of Aguila. 43 degrees, overcast, and damp. Missed about 10 of the first magazine until the barrel warmed up and I figured out where to aim. Rear sight at 250, POI 1/4 the way up from the bottom of the target. Alternated hits on the second magazine, hitting the last two in a row. I then hit with the entire third magazine for 17 in a row. Missed on the first of the fourth. Tried the two smaller gongs; put one on the small one and two on the middle size one.

Went to the berm to see the business end of the arrangement. Holding back the base of the berm is about 8 old telephone poles. The large gong was bigger than I was told; using my arm I got 18 inches, then 6 inches for the small, and 8 inches for the medium gong.

I found three of the 45/70 rounds from the other day, and one of the tiny .30 carbine. It made the tiniest little 'tink' when it hit.

T

Hits on targets @ 200 yards with a M1 carbine is pretty darn good. Especially when you consider the accuracy requirement for them was very forgiving. M1 carbine I have that's a blue sky import is next for some accuracy improvements....I'm considering a criterion barrel if I can't get it do shoot 3moa

I should have said POA was 1/4 up from the bottom. I've no idea where they actually hit the gong.

T

Gotta get a Mauser there next, then my '03 Springfield. I might try my ZF4 scoped K43 as well after I re-sight it at 100. I have it bore sighted from across the first floor in the house.

Last edited:
I should have said POA was 1/4 up from the bottom. I've no idea where they actually hit the gong.

T

Gotta get a Mauser there next, then my '03 Springfield. I might try my ZF4 scoped K43 as well after I re-sight it at 100. I have it bore sighted from across the first floor in the house.

Hits are good...with the carbine.

Took the K43 today. 6 rounds PPU 198/FMJ to check/adjust the sights at 100, then off to 200. Rough at the 100; 36 degrees, clear, sunny, stiff wind had the trees swaying. It was actually nice in the "pit" as I've started calling it. No wind down there, and with the sun, it was warm enough to take off my gloves. I missed the first two shots as I forgot to add elevation. Hitting the 18" was easy-peachy. I then played with the 6 and 8" gongs. Hit the 6" 6 times.

T

Attachments

• IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 13
There are a few with 200 yard ranges. Mine (Sippican in Rochester), Holbrook, and Old Colony (Pembroke) are three that I know of. Old Colony hosts the 200 yard CMP rifle shoots.

T

Plymouth has 200 as well, no required qual just a range orientation done when you join.

Took the K43 today. 6 rounds PPU 198/FMJ to check/adjust the sights at 100, then off to 200. Rough at the 100; 36 degrees, clear, sunny, stiff wind had the trees swaying. It was actually nice in the "pit" as I've started calling it. No wind down there, and with the sun, it was warm enough to take off my gloves. I missed the first two shots as I forgot to add elevation. Hitting the 18" was easy-peachy. I then played with the 6 and 8" gongs. Hit the 6" 6 times.

T
I wish I had brought gloves with me today. In shade late afternoon, it was not warm at all and I had to keep putting my hands in my pockets. They setup a warming room at the range but I wasn't there long enough to bother getting it heated. Forecast next week looks like snow so I wanted to sneak out at least once more, although it probably won't stop me. First big snowfall I think I'll take the Mosin out with heavy clothes and imagine it's Stalingrad. [smile]

I might've missed it--what's the magnification on the scope, 1.5x?

Took my other Garand to the 200 today. 5/44 CMP Springfield, SG, that I got earlier this year; 1/2+ measurements on a left over 5/43 barrel. Simply dialed the sight to 200 (previously sighted in at 100) and used 4 enblocks of mixed HXP.

Someone didn't get the message about the weather. "Supposed" to be cloudy and 50; it was sunny and 35. Warmed up on the 18"; hit 7 of 8. Then played with the 8" and 6". Hit the 8" 1 of every 2, and the 6" 1 of every 3. Found out the sights were precisely aligned for a normal 6:00 hold on the bottom of the gong, and I hit better when I let it stop swinging.

T

Attachments

• IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Took my other Garand to the 200 today. 5/44 CMP Springfield, SG, that I got earlier this year; 1/2+ measurements on a left over 5/43 barrel. Simply dialed the sight to 200 (previously sighted in at 100) and used 4 enblocks of mixed HXP.

Someone didn't get the message about the weather. "Supposed" to be cloudy and 50; it was sunny and 35. Warmed up on the 18"; hit 7 of 8. Then played with the 8" and 6". Hit the 8" 1 of every 2, and the 6" 1 of every 3. Found out the sights were precisely aligned for a normal 6:00 hold on the bottom of the gong, and I hit better when I let it stop swinging.

T

nice doing everything the old ryefull should be doing.

Back
Top Bottom