Qualified at my Range for 200 yards

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Went to my Club today to be qualified at the new 200 yard range. This is a club requirement to use the new range, which makes sense. We start at 100 yards; I brought the Danish Winchester Garand that I had just rebuilt. I brought a SR-1 target to double check the sights. First shot 9:00 black, second shot 4:00 almost black on purpose to check. Requirement was 3 of 5 on the paper (8.5"x11"). I shot a "V" around the "X" and the last at 12:00, shooting from a 6:00 hold. Qualified on step 1. Shooting was from a V-notch piece of wood on the bench. I hand picked 40 rounds of '82 HXP from a recent can from CMP. It was a cold 38 degrees and windy, but sunny. I needed gloves and my ear muffins.

Then to the 200 yard range with same rules of 3 of 5 hitting a 10 inch circular steel gong. Decision; adjust the sights to 200 or add a little Kentucky elevation. I decided on Kentucky elevation and covered the target with the front sight. I hit 7 of 7 straight; but on the eighth, the wooden V-block slipped from the recoil and I missed. Now I can go and shoot 200 anytime I want.

I consider this a sort of milestone for me, given my recent surgeries and permanent vision and concussion related issues. I guess I can also give myself a little pat on the back for my gun rebuilding skill as well.

T[banana]

Attachments

• qualified-betelgeuse-beatlejuice-qualified-michael-keaton-demotivational-posters-1316712701.jpeg
    qualified-betelgeuse-beatlejuice-qualified-michael-keaton-demotivational-posters-1316712701.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Nice...
Now just remember all you need to do is 2 clicks up when you move from 100-200... roughly and you can keep your same sight picture.. For more precise shooting you may need 1 or 2 more.
Lighting changes things also....so looks like a cmp match at Pembroke is not going to be as hard for you as you might have thought.
The 9 ring is 13" @ 200 and the 5 ring is 37"

Except for prone...I don't bend that way more.

Now with two discs fused in my neck and lying on my belly, I can't bend my head back far enough to comfortably sight the rifle, not to mention what the recoil would do to me.

T

Attachments

• IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Ranges in MA actually do this for 200? Is this common?

This is a serious question, because I regularly shoot 200 yards with my pistol.

ETA: Nice shooting :)

Last edited:

There are a few with 200 yard ranges. Mine (Sippican in Rochester), Holbrook, and Old Colony (Pembroke) are three that I know of. Old Colony hosts the 200 yard CMP rifle shoots.

T

Except for prone...I don't bend that way more.

Now with two discs fused in my neck and lying on my belly, I can't bend my head back far enough to comfortably sight the rifle, not to mention what the recoil would do to me.

T

doh! ouch i have some pinched nerves or some shit going on in my neck Dr. says im several years away from any action required. years of looking up as a auto mechanic. Prone can be very uncomfortable for me now. its slowly getting worse...

some clubs jut want to make sure you are hitting the back stop. Some clubs around the SE area are very close to things just beyound the back stop and can shut a club down quick is bullets are not contained.
I dont know if pembroke or cipicain are no pistols on rifle range or not. Although shooting pistol at 200 yards is fun... i have not done it for a long long time though.

some clubs jut want to make sure you are hitting the back stop. Some clubs around the SE area are very close to things just beyound the back stop and can shut a club down quick is bullets are not contained.
I dont know if pembroke or cipicain are no pistols on rifle range or not. Although shooting pistol at 200 yards is fun... i have not done it for a long long time though.

I get if your club is in the middle of town. I just had only heard of qual 300 or beyond.

Nice going for the qualification! Win for rebuild skill and win for shooting skill.

It was a thrill, 7 times in a row, bang-klunk, with the range officer counting the number of hits as they happened. Then oops, $&*!.

Kind of a pretty pattern I shot at 100 yards. From what I read into it, the rifle shoots real well, with the minor variations being my fault.

T

Last edited:
7th round HXP flyer there's one in every 8 rounds!

No, it was me. My 'bench' was a 1/4" piece of plywood with a "V" notch nailed to a 1/4" base, about 12" long by 4" wide by 4" tall. This piece only rested on top of a 4"x4" block of wood. The "V" part had been moving backwards off the bigger block during the first 7 shots and fell off completely on the 8th. At the time I was shooting a round every 10-15 seconds.

T

No, it was me. My 'bench' was a 1/4" piece of plywood with a "V" notch nailed to a 1/4" base, about 12" long by 4" wide by 4" tall. This piece only rested on top of a 4"x4" block of wood. The "V" part had been moving backwards off the bigger block during the first 7 shots and fell off completely on the 8th. At the time I was shooting a round every 10-15 seconds.

T

Nope HXP flyer....it's never you/us/me[wink]

While running errands today I popped into the 200 yard range on the way home with my 1892 M88 Trapdoor Springfield. 41 degrees, overcast, damp. Using .45/70, 500gr. big, slow, lead wad-cutters over Pyrodex. Flipped up the rear sight which starts at 200 yards. Not knowing what else to do, I put the sights in the middle of the gong and hoped for the best, as these rounds had been reloaded to Military Specs. I put on my special long distance glasses and stick on peep sight.

I pulled the trigger; Boom! - one Mississippi - wait for it - two Miss.. - thunk. Not the fastest round.[smile]

The sound reminded me of something...

Bring out your dead...thunk

Tried again. Boom! - one Mississippi - wait for it - two Miss.. - thunk. [smile][smile]

Bring out your dead...thunk

Tried a third round. Boom! - one Mississippi - wait for it - two Miss.. - thup. Missed.[frown]

Wound up 11 for 20. Ejector is strong; the cases went straight over my head and landed 6 feet behind me. I assume the misses were close as I was aiming in the same place.

Fun.[laugh]

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 48
Nice. I have lucky # 13 Sippican 200 yard range pin. It is a bit ridiculous that you have to "qualify" to shoot at 200. I heard one or two club members have already been busted shooting there without the pin, and had their memberships revoked. Yeesh.

i've been meaning to get out there to qualify but i wasn't able to swing the days they were doing it last month...any idea on the dates for this month?...so it's 3 of 5 on 8.5"x11" paper on the 100 and 3 of 5 on a 10" gong on the 200?...any centerfire rifle with any optic is fine correct?

i've been meaning to get out there to qualify but i wasn't able to swing the days they were doing it last month...any idea on the dates for this month?...so it's 3 of 5 on 8.5"x11" paper on the 100 and 3 of 5 on a 10" gong on the 200?...any centerfire rifle with any optic is fine correct?

I can ask two of the guys I know that do the qualifying and get back to you. Sounds about right as far as the target question.

I can ask two of the guys I know that do the qualifying and get back to you. Sounds about right as far as the target question.

thanks...i ran into 1 of the guys who was qualifying someone else a few weekends ago, i forget his name he had long hair, nice guy...i didn't have time to stick around to qualify plus i didn't have my rifle but he did offer to let me use his to qualify...i'm pretty sure there is a sign up sheet with the dates next to the rear door where you sign in guests...i just haven't been out there this month to see what dates are on the sheet for this month...it would be nice if they posted this info on their website or their unofficial facebook page

as far as the targets go, i just went off what majspud posted in the first post and assumed they did the same for everyone...just not sure if different qualifiers did different requirements each time

Probably was Matt. I used iron sights; never asked about a scope. PM me and I can give you his email. I'm on the list as a reserve qualifier if they need more.

T

Nice. I have lucky # 13 Sippican 200 yard range pin. It is a bit ridiculous that you have to "qualify" to shoot at 200. I heard one or two club members have already been busted shooting there without the pin, and had their memberships revoked. Yeesh.

I'm guessing the club had enough issues at some point to implement the qualification. I would guess it also keeps the not so safe or accurate people of the range.
All it takes is someone to do a mag dump at 200 yards to round it for the rest of us.
I would say a good 75% of the shooters I know if they where told they need to qualify to shoot on a range they would not even try.

Probably was Matt. I used iron sights; never asked about a scope. PM me and I can give you his email. I'm on the list as a reserve qualifier if they need more.
T

thanks...i have an astigmatism in my right eye (i'm a righty) so i'd be better with magnification...i shoot pistols with my left eye

Long hair, nice guy. Definitely Matt.

Yes there is a signup sheet. Good luck, shoot straight!

thanks...maybe next time i go out there i'll take a photo of the dates and post it on their facebook for everyone to see

It has to be the same rules for everyone, I would assume.

T

that's what i assumed as well

thanks...i have an astigmatism in my right eye (i'm a righty) so i'd be better with magnification...i shoot pistols with my left eye

thanks...maybe next time i go out there i'll take a photo of the dates and post it on their facebook for everyone to see

that's what i assumed as well

assume nothing rules change daily [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom