Pulled over in Maine with CCW?

Strange story from Greaycar's NH post above. My understanding is that NH does not require you to show your license if stopped. In fact, I don't think they even require that you have it with you, just that you're actually licensed.

Wonder why the guy raised the red flag in the first place.
True statement. NH not only does not require you to "notify" when interacting with an LEO, but there is also no statutory requirement to have your P/R License on your person while carrying.

Gee I never heard of that opinion thing before. How the hell could I have managed so far in life without hearing that?
I sure hope to hell I didn't waste too much bandwidth with my superfluous opinions.
I apologize to the board and all her members.

Hey Robert,

It seems some people just don't get enough nap time. [smile] I am sure I speak for all most everybody in saying that you comments are appreciated.

Fee

Lugnut, what if it was greycars bid day to go nuts? Dont blame the cops, blame the d-bag lawerys that sue at a drop of a hat and make everyone a bit nervous. If your a civilian I woulnt expect you to understand. Cops are always hearing the horror stories of acting too much as well as too little. The guy in RI was licensed, dont get me wrong, I do not endorse gun control. But I do know that leagal gun owners have bad days as well. I typical example of CYA. The police are not out to make friends, if they were they would have taken the fire test.

This wasn't a case of CYA... sounded like blatant abuse of
authority to me. "Mudflaps" sounds like a fishing expedition,
to begin with. The cop(s) calling the hospital on him is blatant
abuse. His conduct was LAWFUL so what business is it of
theirs? It's jackassery, pure and simple. The idea behind all the
bullshit was to threaten and intimidate. (eg, "scare" the person into not
carrying a gun anymore). That's what it looks/smells like to me.
While it may not be apparent that the PD is anti, the LEO that pulled this
guy over definitely was.

I could understand such a stop, if say, the vehicle/person
description was a close match to someone they had an APB/BOLO out
on. (That's happened to a close friend of mine before.... he was similar
in appearance to a criminal who was on the run, and was detained for 15
minutes until a supervisor came along and told them they had the wrong guy.

Sounds to me like a case of "small town rhetoric" at it's
finest.

This is why I'm an advocate of "do not notify unless
required by law" .

-Mike

Lugnut, what if it was greycars bid day to go nuts? Dont blame the cops, blame the d-bag lawerys that sue at a drop of a hat and make everyone a bit nervous. If your a civilian I woulnt expect you to understand. Cops are always hearing the horror stories of acting too much as well as too little. The guy in RI was licensed, dont get me wrong, I do not endorse gun control. But I do know that leagal gun owners have bad days as well. I typical example of CYA. The police are not out to make friends, if they were they would have taken the fire test.

Well you bring up some valid points. However the real problem in that scenario lies in the sue happy world we live in I guess- like you mentioned. From your perspective (CYA) I can see a point. However it leaves one to wonder if it was harassment or indeed a CYA move. I am a civilian and have had a few conversations with some LEO on similar topics so I repect your POV. But don't "we" have rights too? Why not contact all the person's family and friends for that matter as well? In case we were planning on doing more than just having a bad day at the office.

One thing though.. if it was a going to be "a bad day at the office" why would he offer up this information about CCW? If the gun was illegal it's highly unlikely he'd mention it anyway and life would be good.. or would it?
From a civilian POV, being law abiding and CCW is still perceived as a bad thing by many LEO. We know that good people go bad sometimes... even good people with guns, including LEO. But we KNOW that the majority of violent crimes comitted with guns are NOT by law abiding, clean records, licensed citizens... that's what makes me crazed.

I hope this doesn't come accross as cobative, it's not intended that way. But hopefully it helps give you a "good" civilian's perspective. [wink]

I don't think that NH story is new; unless I'm mistaken, I heard about this maybe 2 or 3 years ago. And I seem to recall that there was a follow-up, which made clear who was in the wrong. Trouble is, I don't remember what the follow-up concluded. Maybe someone from "up there" could research it and illuminate us all?

http://opencarry.org/me.html

Maine

Summary
Maine is a traditional open carry state. It is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry a firearm openly. However, you may only carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, openly or concealed, if you have a Maine permit.

OTOH, when there's no legal requirement to notify, I see absolutely nothing to be gained by mentioning the fact if he's not going to detect it on his own. As long as I'm in the car sitting in the driver's seat, there's no way he's going to spot it.

Ken

Hi Ken,

No disagreement from me. I guess I need to change my carry location! NO Wait...that was where I carried BEFORE I got married! [smile]

-ed

Back
Top Bottom