Pulled over in Maine with CCW?

Figures... pulled over at 11:45 in Maine. Wasn't drinking, speeding or anything. LEO approached car very slowly and didn't come to my DS window. I guess my son was looking for something in the back seat and the LEO was concerned. I rolled down my window and asked what was wrong and he explained he was concerned with what was going on in the back seat which I totally understand. My son is only 12 years old but he's taller than me. It turns out my license plate light AND my PS tail lights were both out... which is wierd since I just got my inspection sticker a few days ago.

Anyway... I was sure Maine doesn't require you to disclose when CCW. I had thought I might mention this but decided not to since my license and reg were readily available and I was with the wife and kids. Officer was a great guy and didn't issue any ticket or anything. Just doing a great job and not harrassing me.

Now that I'm home I looked thru my Maine handbook and can't find any mention of this. Was I correct? How about NH?

Last edited:
I dont know what the law is, but if your carring leagaly in the state your traveling in whats the concern? If asked be honest, if a weapon will be seen if you go for the glove box or anything crazy like that I would let him know. I hate when law abiders have to have thier ass pucker everytime they come in contact with the law. [angry]

you're only required to to have a CCW in maine when it's completely concealed.
so if your standing and the barrel or any other part of the gun is visible, then you can carry without a license.

if your in a vehicle and it's on the seat next to you / on the dash, or any place else in the open. your legal.

if it's loaded in the glove box, or center console you need a CCW.
not sure if it's on you so he can't see it, and if you got out the car it would show, how that would be interpreted.

as for me, if it doesn't show, will never show, and the LEO doesn't ask,
I'm not telling.

I dont know what the law is, but if your carring leagaly in the state your traveling in whats the concern? If asked be honest, if a weapon will be seen if you go for the glove box or anything crazy like that I would let him know. I hate when law abiders have to have thier ass pucker everytime they come in contact with the law. [angry]

Well... don't feel bad.. no ass puckering here, just a question. I know in some states, even when legally concealed carrying, you are required to notify the officer if pulled over- I KNOW this isn't the case in MA. Asking about the requirements (if any) in Maine/NH. [wink]

Maine is pretty gun frendly and most LEO have no problem with citizen carrying guns.
Of cause the whole thing changes in Portland.
To the telling, if not asked, I don't tell!

Some states, like NC, require disclosure when you are addressed by a PO and are CCW. Not to do so could lead to arrest/liscense revocation if you are found out. It seems ME is not one of those states though.

BTW: Welcome!

Some states, like NC, require disclosure when you are addressed by a PO and are CCW. Not to do so could lead to arrest/liscense revocation if you are found out.

+1 on that for Ohio. You are required to notify any LEO that approaches you on official business that you have a weapon on you. You are not required to notify if you have a CCW but not the gun on you.

In Ohio it is also a felony to even attempt to touch your weapon when in contact with an LEO unless he or she requests that you handle it.

In Ohio it is also a felony to even attempt to touch your weapon when in contact with an LEO unless he or she requests that you handle it.

After you're shot, the felony charge won't seem to matter much

Last edited by a moderator:
Maine is pretty gun frendly and most LEO have no problem with citizen carrying guns.
Of cause the whole thing changes in Portland.
To the telling, if not asked, I don't tell!

So long as you haul the car our of the sandpit when you're done, they're pretty friendly about belt-fed machine guns too! [smile]

You are required to tell an LEO if you are carrying within a reasonable amount of time of contact with an LEO.
I was pulled over by a Richmond PD officer a couple of years ago. My Jimmy is held together by pro-gun stickers and he pulls up behind me and pulls me over. I asked him why he pulled me over and he said my inspection was overdue.
It was not.
How could he have known even if it was as he came up behind me on the highway?
Go figure.
I told him I was carrying and handed over my permit with my license. He asked me twice if i was carrying and I gave him an affirmative.
I believe he was fishing to see if it was in the glove box. If you have a CCW here you MUST be carrying in on your person in the vehicle if it is loaded.

You are required to tell an LEO if you are carrying within a reasonable amount of time of contact with an LEO.

Robert- can you tell me where you've seen this? I can't seem to find any references to this in any Maine documents I've been able to locate.

Thanks!

Aha, I read "...shall have his [or her] permit in his [or her] immediate possession at all times when carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the same on demand of any law enforcement officer."
I could swear it read something to the effect that it would be declared within a reasonable time of encounter with LEO. Maybe I'm thinking of Washington State as that was the first state I carried in while I was stationed at Fort Lewis and living in Tacoma. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Aha, I read "...shall have his [or her] permit in his [or her] immediate possession at all times when carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the same on demand of any law enforcement officer."
I could swear it read something to the effect that it would be declared within a reasonable time of encounter with LEO. Maybe I'm thinking of Washington State as that was the first state I carried in while I was stationed at Fort Lewis and living in Tacoma. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

No problem. Thanks Robert.

I still feel it's a good policy to let a LEO know. I'd rather tell him than for him to find out on his own and cause an incident.
That's the beauty about opinions: everybody's entitled to one. The OP's question was about a legal requirement to notify in ME, and we've established there is none, unless asked to display same by an LEO. Everything beyond that is opinion.

I still feel it's a good policy to let a LEO know. I'd rather tell him than for him to find out on his own and cause an incident.

If there's any reasonable chance he might discover that you're carrying on his own, then you definitely want to avoid any surprises, and give him a heads up. OTOH, when there's no legal requirement to notify, I see absolutely nothing to be gained by mentioning the fact if he's not going to detect it on his own. As long as I'm in the car sitting in the driver's seat, there's no way he's going to spot it.

Ken

I've heard (on the internet, so it must be true) enough positive stories about getting pulled over in gun friendly states that I would without hesitation hand over my CCW and driver's licenses in Maine or NH.

Not in MA, though, I say nothing there unless I absolutely have to, or am asked directly.

long story NH stop

From GONH's F&F of fall/winter 2003 :

One Very Foggy Morning - a disturbing letter from a GO-NH Member

Editor’s notes: This member included his/her name and attachments that show the stop, etc. However, the name, description of the vehicle, and other information that would identify the author have been withheld for his/her protection. DHMC is Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

It was a very foggy morning, on my way down Route 10 to work in Lebanon (passing through Hanover) as usual, so I had reduced my speed. I had my lights on, seatbelt on, and the radio was on but barely audible. My radar detector alarm sounded but I couldn’t see any traffic. Just a few seconds later, a vehicle appeared about 250 feet ahead of me through a break in the fog, traveling in the same direction. The vehicle did not have any taillights on and I thought, “What an idiot not to have his lights on in this fog!”

After about half a mile, the vehicle made a left turn into a driveway and made a U-turn. Either the lights were turned on at that time or the daytime running lights were on, and I recognized it as a Hanover police cruiser. I kept going, and the cruiser pulled out after another vehicle went by going the other direction. It then approached me at a high rate of speed (unsafe given the road conditions), then followed me for about 1 or 2 miles. Finally, the blue lights came on and I pulled aver immediately and drove at a slow speed along the guardrail for approximately 200 feet before pulling off of the road when it was safe to do so, stopped, and turned off the ignition.

The officer approached my car and I retrieved my wallet from my pants pocket. I was having difficulty finding my Pistol License (I had put it behind my Drivers’ License and forgot where I had put it). He told me that he was pulling me over because I didn’t have any mud flaps on my SUV. I told him I was searching for my Pistol License and it should only take a second. He then asked where I was traveling to. I told him that I work at DHMC and was going to work. I was dressed in a jeans jacket, tropical shirt, Dockers, dress shoes, and wearing my DHMC picture ID tag around my neck in full view.

He then asked why I had the pistol. I didn’t answer, as I was searching my wallet. He stated that he found it “funny” that I would carry a pistol to work with me and asked if I took it into the building with me. I told him that I did not, but that I kept it locked in my glove box while I was at work. He then asked me to exit my vehicle and told me that he was going to take my pistol back to his car with him. I produced my Drivers’ License, finding my Pistol License in the process, and exited the car as he asked. He told me to get back in my car and retrieve my vehicle registration. I did, and then waited in my car.

Soon, a large, black, unmarked SUV with a radio antenna came from the direction of town, did a U-turn, and pulled in behind the first cruiser. A younger-looking man in plainclothes, who never identified himself, watched me while standing outside the driver’s door of the cruiser. The first officer sat in his car, running my license (I assumed), while I lit a cigarette and waited. About 5 minutes later, another Hanover cruiser arrived from the direction of town, did a U-turn, and pulled in behind the SUV. This 3rd officer then exited his cruiser and stood talking to the original officer at the driver’s door of the first cruiser. About 10 minutes after that, the first officer approached my vehicle while the third officer stood behind my vehicle in view of my side mirror. Both officers were in a “ready to draw” stance. I couldn’t see what the plainclothes officer was doing.

The (first) officer informed me that the reason it was taking so long was that they were trying to run the numbers from my revolver. He stated that they were having a hard time finding the serial number on my revolver and that every gun has a serial number. He stated again that he found it “funny” that I would carry a gun to work with me, and then asked if I got the revolver through private sale, to which I said yes. He asked whom I got it from and I did not answer. He then asked if I knew where the revolver’s serial number was. I said I couldn’t recall where it was, but it did have one because I had it recorded at home. He said that he had contact the Chief of Police in my town and he had confirmed that I had a valid pistol license but
did not know what I carried for a weapon.

The officer stated that he had worked in Vermont for some years before and that Vermont requires that the type and serial number of the weapon be on the license. I knew that Vermont does not issue licenses, but responded in a joking manner, “Welcome to New Hampshire.” He returned to his car. I don’t know how long he was there, but it was longer than before, and long enough for me to smoke another cigarette - probably more than 10 minutes.

He then approached my car again in the same stance as before, and gave me a written warning for not having mud flaps (I drive a pickup truck). He then wanted to know why I was carrying, because if I was using the pistol for recreational purposes I didn’t need to take it to work with me. I stated that I have a right to defend myself and he agreed. He said that since they couldn’t find the numbers, they were having a hard time “running the pistol” and if I wanted they would give me a property claim ticket and I could pick it up after they ran it. I declined. He said that their Chief was coming to make a final determination and returned to his car.

Shortly after that, I remembered that the serial number is located under the grip and called that information out of my window. He came back to my car, in the same stance as the previous times, and said that they didn’t want to dismantle my pistol because they didn’t want to damage it and have to replace it on a policeman’s salary. He said he had never seen a gun with the serial number in that location and asked me why they would make a gun with the serial number covered by the grip. I said I had replaced the old grip. He returned to his car.

The third officer now approached my car, in a somewhat calmer manner than other approaches, and asked whom I had purchased the pistol from to make it easier to look up the pistol. I told him I had traded with a neighbor for it, and he had bought it from another private sale from someone named Marty who had bought it from a gun shop in Thornton. He returned to the other officers. A 3rd cruiser came from town. I never saw him, nor was he identified to me, but I assume that was the Chief. Very little time passed between his arrival and when the first officer returned to my car with my pistol.

He asked if I knew what the rules at Dartmouth Hitchcock were regarding the carrying of a handgun. I told him that I wasn’t sure, but it was my belief that as long as I left it in the car it wouldn’t be a problem. He stated that he was positive that they had rules against such things and that he was sure that I was not allowed to take it on hospital grounds. I stated that I do not park near the hospital but in an external parking lot and ride the bus to the hospital. He said that as soon as you turn onto I Medical Center Drive you are on hospital grounds. When I stated again that I do not park on hospital grounds, he shrugged his shoulders, handed me my unloaded revolver, asked me to put it in my glove box - which I did - and then handed me my 6 bullets and said I could go.

Within 20 minutes of my arrival at work, I received an email from hospital security stating that they had been called by the Hanover Police and told that I carry a handgun, but that security “has no problem” with me having a handgun as long as I DO NOT bring it into the building and keep it in my car.

At no time during this stop did I act in a discourteous fashion, but was compliant and cooperative the entire time. I feel that my rights as a law-abiding citizen were purposely and willfully violated. Please share this as you see fit. Thank you.

Thank you for sharing this with us Comments, anyone? —el

Firearms & Freedom Fall/Winter 2003 Page 17

too long

I would say the stop was too long. A generic standard for a stop is 15-20 minutes depending on what case you read and the circumstances, mud flaps and checking an id on a piece does not add up to that amount of time in my opinion (I am not a judge!). Were your rights violated I think not, just good police work. Lets put it this way, same events different guy, this guy just raped your love one, and left her/him for dead, now the dude doing the midnight shift sees this suv. Something just is not sitting well about this suv, say the guy has this ugly shirt on, so he/she sees no mud flaps. The lack of flaps is the ticket to check this piece of sh-- out. So now the rapist acts all cool because he is going to put on the id that was on the desk of the victim and he does not give a f--k anyhow, he'll just let it ride out. Now leo is all alone with Mr. ass munch, back up should be on the way if it isn’t leo should be looking for a new job or career. Point being nothing is what it seems. At least it shouldn’t for a cop. Once your relaxed, not ready, it will bite you, for some it’s the last time. Was the dude checking the weapon a donkey for not knowing where the number is, Yes, but give him a break he is out there looking out for you. Most companies do have a very strict policy about firearms at work. It sounded as if they were trying to save you a job. As far as so many cops at a stop, thats great. The more the better. The cops job is to win, that’s all, and to win you need speed, violence and numbers. When I say win I mean in a gun battle. You had one gun on, what’s to say you didn’t have another. As far as letting you back into the vehicle for the registration, that was poor tactics. If he (they) were concerned enough to be at ready when talking to you, your vehicle should have been swept prior to you getting back in. You did the correct thing, "Yes sir" "No sir". Anything else is just going to make you a looser. There is always time to stop by the P.D. and file a written complaint against an officer if you fell he/she did something wrong. My two cents worth.

That's the beauty about opinions: everybody's entitled to one. The OP's question was about a legal requirement to notify in ME, and we've established there is none, unless asked to display same by an LEO. Everything beyond that is opinion.

Gee I never heard of that opinion thing before. How the hell could I have managed so far in life without hearing that?
I sure hope to hell I didn't waste too much bandwidth with my superfluous opinions.
I apologize to the board and all her members.

Lugnut, what if it was greycars bid day to go nuts? Dont blame the cops, blame the d-bag lawerys that sue at a drop of a hat and make everyone a bit nervous. If your a civilian I woulnt expect you to understand. Cops are always hearing the horror stories of acting too much as well as too little. The guy in RI was licensed, dont get me wrong, I do not endorse gun control. But I do know that leagal gun owners have bad days as well. I typical example of CYA. The police are not out to make friends, if they were they would have taken the fire test.

Strange story from Greaycar's NH post above. My understanding is that NH does not require you to show your license if stopped. In fact, I don't think they even require that you have it with you, just that you're actually licensed.

Wonder why the guy raised the red flag in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom