Probably shoudn't buy your PMs from magazine ads...

Check out the ad on page 73 of the February 2012 Guns & Ammo. They are offering genuine US Mint Silver Eagles for the 'are we crazy' price of just $46.87.

It's a ground floor opportunity, folks!

And that was still a bad price even whenever it was that ad must have been printed.... price has been nowhere near that in months. The $27 yesterday was a good deal but I see it has jumped up today quite a bit.

And that was still a bad price even whenever it was that ad must have been printed.... price has been nowhere near that in months. The $27 yesterday was a good deal but I see it has jumped up today quite a bit.

It's not a bad price for the seller.

Remember this: the ad costs money, and apparently they make money on the ad.....caveat emptor!

It's just like those 1 ounce gold coins they sell on TV that are 'clad in pure 24K gold'. I always wonder how many people fall for that.

Now, where's my silver Spongebob ingot?

It's just like those 1 ounce gold coins they sell on TV that are 'clad in pure 24K gold'. I always wonder how many people fall for that.

Now, where's my silver Spongebob ingot?

Clad - what a great word. Better even than 'gold filled'
I always wonder how thick(or maybe thin is a better word) that gold is. .001 maybe?

Modern technology lets you layer on the gold "clad" as much as several microns thick. Not just one micron, but several!

Buy now.

Clad - what a great word. Better even than 'gold filled'
I always wonder how thick(or maybe thin is a better word) that gold is. .001 maybe?

One ad advertises ".14 milligrams of 24K gold" and cautions that the price cannot be assured for long. .14mg is about 1/230th of an troy ounce.

Even worse is the ad for a coin plated in ".24 gold" (later mentioned at 24%)

In general, any place advertising "quantity one" rather than "investment quantity" precious metals is not a place to buy for value.

Modern technology lets you layer on the gold "clad" as much as several microns thick. Not just one micron, but several!

Buy now.

OK. I'll take 3 microns over 1/1000th any day. 3 is better than 1 right? LOL

I bought my first silver from one of those deals out of either ASG or Guns and Ammo. I think I paid $7 each for up to 5 SIlver Eagles. Of course at the time silver was probably about $3 an ounce.

I bought my first silver from one of those deals out of either ASG or Guns and Ammo. I think I paid $7 each for up to 5 SIlver Eagles. Of course at the time silver was probably about $3 an ounce.

It sounds like you're referring to Littleton Coin Company. Then after that, you're stuck in this stupid "coin of the month" club where they mail out random crap coins that you send back several times their book value for.

One ad advertises ".14 milligrams of 24K gold" and cautions that the price cannot be assured for long. .14mg is about 1/230th of an troy ounce.

Even worse is the ad for a coin plated in ".24 gold" (later mentioned at 24%)

In general, any place advertising "quantity one" rather than "investment quantity" precious metals is not a place to buy for value.

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that. I did the math, and on at particular day, there was about 72 cents worth of gold in the coin. I'm not sure I believe it's even that high.

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that. I did the math, and on at particular day, there was about 72 cents worth of gold in the coin. I'm not sure I believe it's even that high.

Nobody expects the small value in gold plated objects. Amongst Gold's weaponry are such diverse elements as extreme corrosion resistance, excellent conductivity, extreme ductility and the ability to be applied in as an exceptionally thin plating.

True. It's always amazed me that Monster could sell their hifi cables for so much. Granted, they are high quality, but gold plated connectors and oxygen flushed copper wires don't cost 10-15 times as much as a plain old wire with metal plug. And you can't see them when they're connected.

And gold plated cables are utterly 100% pointless when doing everything digital. Either the ones and zeros have enough strength in the signal to get over the noise level and acknowledged, or you have a useless cable.

Sent from my rooted android using Tapatalk

And gold plated cables are utterly 100% pointless when doing everything digital. Either the ones and zeros have enough strength in the signal to get over the noise level and acknowledged, or you have a useless cable.

Sent from my rooted android using Tapatalk

I once had a Best Buy clerk try to tell me that a gold plated optical cable was the best. I told him to explain how gold would improve the light transmission and he just stood there like an idiot.

Sent from my Motorola Photon Torpedo using Tapatalk

Good point. While I don't have a problem with $10 HDMI cables having gold plating, the only value I've seen in gold plating is that after several years cheap cable connectors may oxidize, which can lead to lower quality or crackling(in non-digital applications). Although, all you really have to do to fix it is turn the connector back and forth a couple times. Most people probably have no idea what I'm talking about because they throw their stuff away before it oxidizes.

Getting back to the gold clad coins, though, the people buying them have foresight. In 30 years when they're dead, their grand kids will find all this worthless crap that is still as shiny as when seen on TV.

Back
Top Bottom