Private Sale of non Mass Compliant firearms

Question?

I am looking to purchase a CZ .45 acp but this handgun is not on the approved MASS compliant list.

Is it legal to purchase this from a private citizen in New Hampshire? Or would I be breaking the law in doing so??

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Welcome to the forum. Please do a SEARCH on this forum. It's been asked and answered numerous times. You REALLY Need to know this info, or you can get jammed up big time and end up in jail.

The short answer is NO, ALL Interstate sales/transfers of firearms (only exception is inheritance) MUST go thru an FFL. Handguns must be by FFL in buyer's state (which thus prohibits almost all handguns, as they aren't on the EOPS List and certified to meet the AG's Regs). Long guns can be purchased from an FFL in ANY state as long as it would be legal to do by state laws in both selling state and state of buyer's residence. This is ALL per Fed Law.

If you do the search I recommended above, you will learn more about these legalities.

Lens

Thank you for this information. I did see an abundance of information on the topic after I posted.
A great forum here with a great wealth of information. Glad to see such a valuable resource available to New England shooters.

Is it legal to purchase this from a private citizen in New Hampshire? Or would I be breaking the law in doing so??
You would be breaking Federal law. You can buy a handgun from 1) a dealer in your state of residence or 2) a private party who also resides in your state of residence. If you want to buy that handgun, it would have to be transfered to an FFL in MA, who could not then transfer it to you because it is on the list.

You can buy a longgun from 1) any FFL, whether in your state or any other state, provided you follow the laws in both states or 2) a private party who also resides in your state of residence.

If the gun was owned by a MA resident, you could buy it directly from them.

First, Welcome herodotus. You are right there is a ton of info here. I hope you can take it all in and contribute aswell.

Second, Len and/or other mods; How about drafting up the laws about buying and selling along with all the AG bullshit and making it a sticky, and possibly locking the thread after so that its nothing more then just what people are looking for. No offense to anyone, but most (including myself at times) don't use the search. This is prob the most asked question on the forum.

My .02¢

B.J.

Thing is, most people aren't sitting in their town hall lobby surfing NortheastShooters.com. [lol] I think gathering up a few pertinent facts and making a sticky out of them is a great idea.

"I think gathering up a few pertinent facts and making a sticky out of them is a great idea."

I second that. This subject comes up every 6 weeks. As people don't make much, if any, effort to search a subject, MAYBE they'll at least see the sticky.

Dare to dream............. [roll]

"The sticky was added yesterday."

OK, where is it hiding? Or, where SHOULD I be looking?

I see no specific sticky addressing these private transfer issues and the only sticky I see from yesterday in this section is Jesse Cohen checking in.

Is this one of those "Easter egg" things? :?

Scrivener said:
"The sticky was added yesterday."

OK, where is it hiding? Or, where SHOULD I be looking?

I see no specific sticky addressing these private transfer issues and the only sticky I see from yesterday in this section is Jesse Cohen checking in.

Is this one of those "Easter egg" things? :?

Len posted it in the Gun Laws....

http://northeastshooters.com/viewtopic.php?t=1317

Back
Top Bottom