• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prewar Colt Woodsman

I just picked up a Colt Woodsman for $90 at an auction. It looks like it's been through a ton of use over the years. However, I do have a problem with it.

When I initially brought it home, I took it apart to assess if it would be safe to fire. I looked it over, and aside from needing to put grips on, and aside from that and needing to buy a new pin that keeps the magazine catch and main-spring housing in the firearm, it seemed in okay shape. However, when I put that pin back in to finish assembly on the firearm, I heard a click. Since that didn't sound normal, I took the colt apart again, and found my issue. The Assembly Lock came out from the proper position (it's supposed to rest against the tip of the Recoil Guide Rod). Upon further analysis, there isn't anything keeping the assembly lock from being bumped out of position with a mild tap on the slide.

From pictures I found online, there looks to be a small piece of metal (maybe it was soldered in by colt) to keep the Assembly Lock in the proper position when kept in place by the Guide Rod and Recoil Spring. Does anyone know how i'd fix this outside of going to a gunsmith? It wasn't on a parts list or any of the diagrams I found online, so it must have been a permanent piece of the slide, and snapped off years back due to the age of the firearm.

This is a pre-war woodsman from 1937. Will post some pictures in a bit.

I tried that. Even when its alligned properly, it still gets messed up and moves out of place when pressing the spring in. Theres nothing keeping the assembly lock in the proper place.

Here's a picture off google. Its how it should look. I know one of them has the recoil spring and guide rod incorrectly placed. The other picture is just larger.
uncompress.JPG compress.JPG

Last edited:
The replacement parts are coming in the mail tomorrow morning. Finished making a set of grips by hand, and the parts will take 30 seconds to install.

Going out to put some holes in some paper tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Did everything on this with hand tools, and my famously anti-2a father helped me with a few steps. Doubt i can convince him to hit up the range, but at least showed him that an inanimate hunk of metal doesnt magically come alive on its own and harms everything in its path (I had to explain how cartridges work, which i thought was common knowledge.) It was nice that I could be the first person who taught him how to handle a handgun safely (which turned into an unexpectedly nice father-son moment).

Need to change out the assembly lock. I refinished a couple small spots on the finish to protect the bare metal at least. It doesn't look amazing, but I just wanted to prevent a couple bare spots from getting rust (there were a couple minor rust spots nearby that I needed to buff out with some light scrubbing with steel wool beforehand).

I thought it would be easy to find that part, but all the sites I looked at had all the assembly locks with the exception of 1st series. I contacted Colt, so hopefully I get good news coming on Monday!

The light has reached the end of the rainbow!!

Finally got the handgun functional and going to the range tomorrow! :)

Apparently the recoil spring itself was faulty due to age. I was correct with the assembly lock issue though.

The gunsmith told me I did a decent job on rust stripping the bore on my own (it was my first time doing it) which was good to hear.

Last edited:
The light has reached the end of the rainbow!!

Finally got the handgun functional and going to the range tomorrow! :)

Apparently the recoil spring itself was faulty due to age. I was correct with the assembly lock issue though.

The gunsmith told me I did a decent job on rust stripping the bore on my own (it was my first time doing it) which was good to hear.

What method did you use to get the rust out.

Back
Top Bottom