• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Problem with open water as the primary plan is that's everyone else's plan also, as you know you are face down filling water jugs ( daily ) and exposing yourself. Plus what will happen even after a weeks time with no water from the taps, everyone will be bathing in it, finding anything that looks like an easy shore line to gain access and fighting for "water rights".

I live with a large lake just across the street from me, I have beach rights there to, but that body of water is a back up plan only till the masses die down. For the first few weeks I have 250ish gallons of water in 35 gallon toots and bottle water. I also have a shallow well on a the property which was dry a few weeks ago but now has water.

Back up plan is just get the gen set running and pump up from my deep well, but with gas being in short supply it will only run when needed.
Fortunately for me I'm surrounded by paste eating window lickers who look down on folks that drink tap water. They'd have no clue as to how to treat water so I'd expect a decent amount of die off from those folks. Seriously though, where I live the water table isn't that deep and there's a good amount of natural springs and swift moving water dotting my locale.

Seriously serious though, I've got plenty of ways to make water at the very least potable and if I had to go dipping a bucket into a water source I won't be going alone and am working towards...*

iu

*Although I'm unsure of where to get my mitts on that sweet boonie(no skullcrusher?).

Problem with open water as the primary plan is that's everyone else's plan also, as you know you are face down filling water jugs ( daily ) and exposing yourself. Plus what will happen even after a weeks time with no water from the taps, everyone will be bathing in it, finding anything that looks like an easy shore line to gain access and fighting for "water rights".

I live with a large lake just across the street from me, I have beach rights there to, but that body of water is a back up plan only till the masses die down. For the first few weeks I have 250ish gallons of water in 35 gallon toots and bottle water. I also have a shallow well on a the property which was dry a few weeks ago but now has water.

Back up plan is just get the gen set running and pump up from my deep well, but with gas being in short supply it will only run when needed.
I think the trick is to ensure you have enough storage on hand to hunker down for a few weeks/month and let the horde get desperate so they, drink unfiltered / unpurified parasite infested water and die off.

Got the freeze dryer and running some fun stuff for the first break in round.
20220904_194958.jpg

Got all my solar panel frames and bases built. Cleared out about 20 trees today and mapped out the trench for the combiner box to house. Rain tomorrow, so panel mounting for the other 13 stations will need to wait for later this week.
20220903_152147.jpg

What are you doing for water storage? I have a stream but it is dry right now. You need at least 1 gallon per day per person or pet. I have at present 15 of these 5 gallon containers.
Like this. Amazon product ASIN B06ZZGWCW9View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZGWCW9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
and a 55 gallon rain barrel.
I have a good supply of Water Bricks. Not filled at the moment. I don't anticipate a situation where the water will be turned off without some indication that we're approaching a situation. But I do have two new Augason Farms 55 Gal Barrels filled stored in the cellar. Also four rain barrels.

World’s Best Potable Water Storage Containers | WaterBricks Saves Lives

<60 days out from the mid-terms..what are your prepping priorities?

1) Updating expired non-US passports (my kids get automatic citizenship elsewhere as I was born outside the US)
2) HAM Radio Technician license study & test
3) Picking up the survival medicine book
4) Practicing storing rice & beans in mylar
5) Having a nurse we know review our medical kit

Plenty more but that's the top of the priority list - water, food, defense generally sorted.

<60 days out from the mid-terms..what are your prepping priorities?
As usual, everything and nothing.
First the nothing.
Nothing real physical. I'm in post surgery purgatory so I'm not supposed to do much.
That will change in the coming weeks but for now I'll have to be content canning tomatoes, putting up more rice and beans in mylar and doing inventory on things.
Now the everything.
Cardiac rehab, medical appointments, signing up for Social Security, back to work part time. Retirement paperwork. Fall preps and cleanups. More planning.
A couple of AR builds. Different Ham radio and digital interface.
More food storage organization.
Bringing another freezer online.
So everything and nothing.

As usual, everything and nothing.
First the nothing.
Nothing real physical. I'm in post surgery purgatory so I'm not supposed to do much.
That will change in the coming weeks but for now I'll have to be content canning tomatoes, putting up more rice and beans in mylar and doing inventory on things.
Now the everything.
Cardiac rehab, medical appointments, signing up for Social Security, back to work part time. Retirement paperwork. Fall preps and cleanups. More planning.
A couple of AR builds. Different Ham radio and digital interface.
More food storage organization.
Bringing another freezer online.
So everything and nothing.
Best of luck with the rehab and the prepping…

Today I'm changing out the fuel return lines on one of my MEP-803A generators.

They age and crack and one spot developed a leak, so I'll be changing out all of them including new plastic Ts.

Going to fill all my diesel cans and fuel tanks, change out the water separator filter and check the level in my bulk diesel tank and get it topped off for the winter.

A few sunny and dry breezy days coming up so will be moving firewood from split piles to the woodshed.

Today's tasks
- DONE - Restocking items we're rotating through - peanut butter, salsa, barilla pasta sauce
- DONE - My first time with Mylar bags - packing some brown rice, kidney beans and northern beans with oxygen absorbers - I plan to sample them each year to see if I got it right :)
- TO DO - Studying for HAM technician license - the test is Wednesday
- TO DO - Hitting the range for the first time in a few months - tsk tsk!

Here's an odd one - picked up an HD TV antenna in case Xfinity cut me off over my consumption of Newsmax! LOL

Today's tasks
- DONE - Restocking items we're rotating through - peanut butter, salsa, barilla pasta sauce
- DONE - My first time with Mylar bags - packing some brown rice, kidney beans and northern beans with oxygen absorbers - I plan to sample them each year to see if I got it right :)
- TO DO - Studying for HAM technician license - the test is Wednesday
- TO DO - Hitting the range for the first time in a few months - tsk tsk!

Here's an odd one - picked up an HD TV antenna in case Xfinity cut me off over my consumption of Newsmax! LOL

Not sure how long you intend to store that brown rice, it's longevity is not like that of white rice.

Not sure how long you intend to store that brown rice, it's longevity is not like that of white rice.
Aha! Thanks so much - I was not aware

Looks like maybe 2 years for Brown as opposed to 30 years for White rice?

This past weekend up North....

Rotated fuel stocks. 30 gallons of gas went into vehicles, the diesel went into the boiler's 325g tank. Drained the genset tank and that went in too. Refilled all of the gas with ethanol free and got off road diesel for the rest. Pri-D in the diesel

Ran the tractor, load tested the (2021) battery

Checked solar array. I need more 48v battery capacity. @xtry51 maybe you can give me some pointers?

Ran the house overnight off grid, tested the well pump on batteries. Long term I think I'd only run the (220v) well pump in daylight, it hammers my batteries, or I need to put in a cistern with a lower voltage/capacity pump up the hill with gravity as a feed.

Checked/ran the saws, added some premix, chains and bar oil to stores. Cut the deadfall around the house and stacked it for burning.

Checked the batteries and ran the MEP-802 generator to charge the array batteries after I drained them to 20% (on purpose). They full charged in under an hour, that genset is a beast.

Repaired some failed door weatherstripping. Set out mouse traps for the fall season.

Ran the bucket down the driveway to smooth out some ruts. I probably need 30 or 40 yards of gravel to do the driveway again...maybe in the spring.

Still looking for a roth upright secondary tank so I can have a whole winter's worth of oil for up there.

The wood is all PT. Appreciate the keen eyes for feedback. I really wanted to do steel, but I also didn't plan on doing solar until we moved to KY. The energy situation moved that up, so my "the world doesn't collapse in 5 year" plan is to relocate the system to a farm in KY. Thus the more temporary wooden setup.

The stands we made allow for selecting panel angle based on time of year from 55deg for winter down to 25 degrees for summer. The ideal extremes for my latitude are 67deg winter and 15deg summer.

My compromise saves space by reducing shadow length in winter allowing rows to be closer together and running the numbers I only give up about 1/4hr of equivalent full sun hours in Dec and 1/2hr in summer. Summer is meaningless to me as I should be able to create 80-95kWh in July which I could never use. Even with an electric stove and dryer with full house AC running we've never used more than 70kWh in a day and our average is 50kWh in the summer. Plus our middle child just moved out so down to 3 people for energy needs.

On batteries I'm not a hands on expert yet. My pack should arrive tomorrow. I'm probably a month away from having it setup as I don't have a hard delivery date for the EG4 inverters yet but know they have arrived at the vendor for distribution. I will post pics once completed and provide full details on how I purchased them for those interested.

I did buy them through Alibaba, direct from a battery manufacturer in China based off my research with people like Will Prowse and solar forums like the one he runs. I intentionally bought seconds of a battery type commonly used for transportation. These are cells that don't meet specs for vehicle use in some way. It's basically like buying gov ammo runs that either are overrun or didn't pass spec. I'll post full cycle data when I have it this winter.

The wood is all PT. Appreciate the keen eyes for feedback. I really wanted to do steel, but I also didn't plan on doing solar until we moved to KY. The energy situation moved that up, so my "the world doesn't collapse in 5 year" plan is to relocate the system to a farm in KY. Thus the more temporary wooden setup.

The stands we made allow for selecting panel angle based on time of year from 55deg for winter down to 25 degrees for summer. The ideal extremes for my latitude are 67deg winter and 15deg summer.

My compromise saves space by reducing shadow length in winter allowing rows to be closer together and running the numbers I only give up about 1/4hr of equivalent full sun hours in Dec and 1/2hr in summer. Summer is meaningless to me as I should be able to create 80-95kWh in July which I could never use. Even with an electric stove and dryer with full house AC running we've never used more than 70kWh in a day and our average is 50kWh in the summer. Plus our middle child just moved out so down to 3 people for energy needs.

On batteries I'm not a hands on expert yet. My pack should arrive tomorrow. I'm probably a month away from having it setup as I don't have a hard delivery date for the EG4 inverters yet but know they have arrived at the vendor for distribution. I will post pics once completed and provide full details on how I purchased them for those interested.

I did buy them through Alibaba, direct from a battery manufacturer in China based off my research with people like Will Prowse and solar forums like the one he runs. I intentionally bought seconds of a battery type commonly used for transportation. These are cells that don't meet specs for vehicle use in some way. It's basically like buying gov ammo runs that either are overrun or didn't pass spec. I'll post full cycle data when I have it this winter.
good-will-hunting-good-will.gif

Back
Top Bottom