• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Two places are goldmines right now

1.) Ocean state job lot
-JC this place is a prepper's wet dream. Anything you could possibly think of, dirt cheap and readily available. They're rationing TP mega-rolls of the cheap no-name brands. Tons of long-shelf life food items and dry goods. Cheap jar candles, cleaning gear (including disinfectants and bleach), all kinds of stuff to throw in areas in my house, bug out and range bags.

2.) Home depot
-TONS of useful stuff on sale. The endcaps have awesome "grab-n-go" items. Keep walking everywhere, it'll all come to mind. 40lbs of Kingsford charcoal was $19! Also got a Bissel full featured bagless vacuum for $49. Incredible, so much prepper stuff here too. Love this place. I'll come just to smell the lumber.

So a while back I made some prison wine called pruno, It tasted as good as it sounds like hard beer and mad dog wine aka not good. Talking with a friend about it he said to take it and refine it down in a still, I said "yes its something I want but don't have the time to make".
He said take a pot, put the pruno in it, place a pyrex bowl, place that in the pot facing up not letting the pruno over the edge. Take the lid unscrew the cap and flip it upside down so the its concave facing you.
Put the stove on a very low heat and place ice cubes on the top of the lid, as it heats up the alcohol vapors will rise condense on the lid and drip back down into the pyrex bowl catching the pure alcohol.

I will get some pics later as its cooling off now, but it worked great and I am impressed by the yield. I don't plan on drinking it as I am not much of a drinker and do not trust anything about moonshine as my vision ( makes you blind ) is not worth the buzz.

But it can be used as source of rubbing alcohol and I will do this a few times to strengthen the yield, basically why you cant find grain alcohol at the package stores as its used now as rubbing alcohol.

Attachments

• KIMG2134.JPG
    KIMG2134.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 16
I heard several stories on social media today regarding farmers in adjacent towns having problems with people stealing eggs and chickens. I didn't think we were there just yet. The stores still have food. Be safe out there.

WOW. I didn’t think that we were there yet either.

A lot of people got pink slipped last week and live paycheck to paycheck so I can see that they desperation could set in quick. I imagine that the unemployment offices are overwhelmed and it will likely take weeks to get the checks flowing.

Two places are goldmines right now

1.) Ocean state job lot
-JC this place is a prepper's wet dream. Anything you could possibly think of, dirt cheap and readily available. They're rationing TP mega-rolls of the cheap no-name brands. Tons of long-shelf life food items and dry goods. Cheap jar candles, cleaning gear (including disinfectants and bleach), all kinds of stuff to throw in areas in my house, bug out and range bags.

X2 lots of good stuff there for the prepper minded folks.

Bob

Don't sleep on family dollar, dollar general, and the like. Mine is across the st from hannafords and legit has better inventory every time I go in.

I heard several stories on social media today regarding farmers in adjacent towns having problems with people stealing eggs and chickens. I didn't think we were there just yet. The stores still have food. Be safe out there.

I would like to see someone try and steal my wife's chickens. She loves those sh*t machines, it would not be pretty.

I've never been a big fan of Texas law allowing, under very limited circumstances, using lethal force in defense of property. I'm starting to get it.
He who steals my purse steals my right to live,..... For he steals my bread and meat and bed, and in doing so imperils my life.
Jack Lindon-The Sea Wolf

I received an email this morning from webstaurantstore.com. They are advertising various take out containers for restaurants. These come out to $3.41 ea if you buy 25. It holds a gallon of hot or cold liquid. I am not advocating that it is a good deal or a good idea for a prep item. I was just intrigued that they come stored flat, they are food grade, and would be fairly portable to fill and have at various locations in the house if you didn't have clean water coming out of the tap.

1585228720122.png

I received an email this morning from webstaurantstore.com. They are advertising various take out containers for restaurants. These come out to $3.41 ea if you buy 25. It holds a gallon of hot or cold liquid. I am not advocating that it is a good deal or a good idea for a prep item. I was just intrigued that they come stored flat, they are food grade, and would be fairly portable to fill and have at various locations in the house if you didn't have clean water coming out of the tap.

View attachment 341946

When camping I use the bladders that are inside these to make block ice. Fill and freeze laying flat. I line the inside of the cooler with one on each side and one on the bottom of each cooler. Doesn't flood your cooler and potable water when they melt. I saved them from meetings where we got a box o joe from DD.

Years ago I bought some locks for the coop JIC. I've been wondering if it's about time to put them on at night and add a driveway alarm set at human height.

What could it hurt?

If you set a driveway alarm, try to get it as distant as you reasonably can to give you some reaction time when it's tripped.

I have a couple of them to indicate progression down the drive and not just a random animal setting one or the other off.

Everclear Grain Alcohol in liquor stores is usually overlooked when making hand sanitizer.

Reports on the radio were saying that it was selling out in liquor stores in many places for just that reason. I keep ten bottles on hand all the time. Very useful stuff.

What could it hurt?

If you set a driveway alarm, try to get it as distant as you reasonably can to give you some reaction time when it's tripped.

I have a couple of them to indicate progression down the drive and not just a random animal setting one or the other off.

I was thinking of this for night time. Anyone who knows anything about chickens would try to get them at night.
When we built the coop we already put in hardware to lock the coop and run. I would lock the coop door and put the alarm inside.
I'd have the receiver on my night stand. I don't want to be up all night every time a deer or something walks by. The interior lock would give me plenty of time to get outside.

During the day we have various perimeter alarms. Some on the driveway for deliveries etc and others in the woods ever since a coyote ran out and grabbed a chicken last summer.

What could it hurt?

I've often thought about installing some of those "paintball sentry" motion tracking systems (google it for an amusing hour) on the porch, but not equipped with a paintball gun (they'd call that a trap and send me to jail) but devise a system where it's basically just a very complicated "doorbell". Walk up to the house and the doorbell rings as you step on the porch.

Of course, strictly for the purpose of notifying visitors that we're monitoring their location, the paintball gun would be replaced with a laser pointer.

Yes, I've considered the remote possibility that a very few visitors might interpret the red laser dot on their forehead or chest to be something threatening, but I think those people watch too much tv.

1585313934895.png

We used the ribbon type electric fence and ran two strands around our coop. One low enough to get predators and one just about pecker level. I used standoffs for the electric fence material and I bonded and grounded all of the metal wire on the coop. We have cameras inside and outside the coop. We have recordings of a whole family of raccoons trying to figure out how to get inside. They learned after the first encounter with the lower strand and climbed over that. But climbing the coop fence they found the second strand and all of them fell off when they got jolted. They all decided at the same time that they didn't want anything else to do with that and waddled away in a pack of six or seven.

Our chocolate lab was a bit overweight and had a bit of sway when she walked. She bumped the electric fence a couple of times and it knocked her down. I am pretty confident it would deter a coyote. Not sure about a black bear.

So I finally got the 5lb container of black peppercorns and a largeish container of crushed red pepper flakes. Are the priesthood peppercorns good to go in mylar, or is o2 absorber needed? What about the flakes? Thanks.

So I finally got the 5lb container of black peppercorns and a largeish container of crushed red pepper flakes. Are the priesthood peppercorns good to go in mylar, or is o2 absorber needed? What about the flakes? Thanks.

A descicant to keep them dry would be better than an O2 absorber.

Honestly, I don't use either, I just keep them in original plastic or glass containers. Pint mason jars would work if you wanted to break down large quantities.

Built a raised veggie garden bed today. Mofo was HEAVY.

Edit: Mother in law got me a couple food grade 55 gallon drums. Going to do some research and figure out a way to rig it up to collect rainwater and drop irrigate the vegetable garden.

DABE9F8E-ED76-4A37-A4E3-F1C8F5A49638.jpeg 27C32C68-0D58-4ED5-9118-1A893BEA5F2B.jpeg

Attachments

• 52D0E3C6-8FB3-41ED-BC4C-C771454BAF0F.jpeg
    52D0E3C6-8FB3-41ED-BC4C-C771454BAF0F.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 5
Built a raised veggie garden bed today. Mofo was HEAVY.

Edit: Mother in law got me a couple food grade 55 gallon drums. Going to do some research and figure out a way to rig it up to collect rainwater and drop irrigate the vegetable garden.

View attachment 342589View attachment 342590

I have 2 of the 55 gal food grade drums. I use a gutter and flexible downspout to fill them off the barn roof. For the first couple of years I just hoped enough water would run off the metal roof and into them but it took a lot of rain. The gutter/spout method works much better.

Each drum has a spigot. I attach a hose and run it to the garden. The drums are up grade but not enough pressure for any of the drip hoses I have. I just use them for extra watering directly from the hose on whatever plants I need to water.

I have 2 of the 55 gal food grade drums. I use a gutter and flexible downspout to fill them off the barn roof. For the first couple of years I just hoped enough water would run off the metal roof and into them but it took a lot of rain. The gutter/spout method works much better.

Each drum has a spigot. I attach a hose and run it to the garden. The drums are up grade but not enough pressure for any of the drip hoses I have. I just use them for extra watering directly from the hose on whatever plants I need to water.

I found a pump and switch setup I can use to pressurize the line when we use it to water the garden(s) etc. I would really like to find some solar panels and batteries to hook it up to work completely independent. Have to look into that though.

Did you set up any sort of vent line or run-off for when the drums full up?

Stupid question mode on:

Why is that so high off the ground? You are going to need a ladder to pick veggies.

It looks higher than it is. It is 36 inches off the ground, we have alot of animals around here including deer. I have some chicken wire to rig up a fence until I find a way to build a hinged cover for it all.

This is my DIY prep of 2020.
View attachment 333421

2600 Watts of Solar, 2 parallel 2400 watt inverters and 4 lithium iron phosphate batteries. Inverters feed a 10 breaker reliance transfer switch to power critical loads as a see fit.

I also fixed my pool heater last summer and added two propane tanks and a Genny hookup. I then added a US carburation motor snorkel to my gas generator so now it's tri fuel and I can run it off those propane tanks.

My current plan is to offset my electric bill by powering several critical loads via solar then have it cut over to the battery overnight. If batteries get low or if it's cloudy it will automatically cover cut over to pull power from grid. If the grid is down in that scenario I can then power the entire transfer switch and charge my batteries with the gas / propane generator.

heck this shit is over ill pay u to build me one LOL i have a aquaponics with a 500 W light i like to run off solar

I found a pump and switch setup I can use to pressurize the line when we use it to water the garden(s) etc. I would really like to find some solar panels and batteries to hook it up to work completely independent. Have to look into that though.

Did you set up any sort of vent line or run-off for when the drums full up?
They have a hole cut in them near the top so when one fills up it would overflow into the other but I don't use it. I duct tapped them and just move the downspout back and forth. Once they are both full they just over flow. I don't have the screw on lids on them I have flexible screening bungee corded over the top to keep the mosquitos out.

Now that I can save more water I'd like to get more drums.

They have a hole cut in them near the top so when one fills up it would overflow into the other but I don't use it. I duct tapped them and just move the downspout back and forth. Once they are both full they just over flow. I don't have the screw on lids on them I have flexible screening bungee corded over the top to keep the mosquitos out.

Now that I can save more water I'd like to get more drums.

Got it, thanks!

Supply is one thing I don't have to worry about I can get as many as I want. I'll probably expand on it.

Back
Top Bottom