• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre Healey AR15 Lowers: Register with NFA before too late?

Reptile

NES Member
I have a couple pre Healey AR15 lowers. I have the bill of sale so I can prove they are pre Healey.
Do you think I should register them as SBR's before it's too late? Maybe the next presidential administration will not be so gun friendly as the ATF currently is.

It only take a couple weeks to register rather than a year like prior administrations.

(Couple x $200)+$100 engraving = $500. May be worthwhile if you're planning to live in MA forever or never selling them.
I meet that criteria.

It's a no brainer, right?

What the government gives the government can take away.

I'm sure if a democrat gets elected, they will put the kibosh on these instantly approved form 1's.

Not sure if serious... they would have to open up GCA to a lot of editing to make that happen and frankly if that happens the shit is going to hit the fan... and you're suddenly going to have a lot more to worry about than an SBR... if it was me I would only be doing it if I had plans in the near future to actually build rifles out of them... but doing it soley as a prophylactic is just idiotic and setting cash on fire...

Not sure if serious... they would have to open up GCA to a lot of editing to make that happen and frankly if that happens the shit is going to hit the fan... and you're suddenly going to have a lot more to worry about than an SBR... if it was me I would only be doing it if I had plans in the near future to actually build rifles out of them... but doing it soley as a prophylactic is just idiotic and setting cash on fire...
Well, they are going to be SBR's sooner or later.

And ONLY these can become SBR's since they are the only ones I have - I can't buy any more to do this since ATF requires a dated bill of sale.

Well, they are going to be SBR's sooner or later.

And ONLY these can become SBR's since they are the only ones I have - I can't buy any more to do this since ATF requires a dated bill of sale.
U can SBR anything u want. U can get a brand new lower tomorrow (not from FFL) and Tax stamp it with no problem.

Sounds like you aren’t clear on how the NFA process, GCA, or ATF work...I vote you don’t do it.
What do I have wrong???

If it comes to confiscation due to me being registered, I don't plan on rolling over.

I'm not giving up my non NFA stuff either.

I don't see any great reason to do multiples... I have just one lower with a stamp and a couple of uppers I swap around on it. But I'm also cheap and paying $200 a whack plus engraving doesn't appeal to me.
I do have a pair of PCC's that are SBR'd as well.

At least the wait time is really short these days.

What do I have wrong???

If it comes to confiscation due to me being registered, I don't plan on rolling over.

I'm not giving up my non NFA stuff either.

You talk about SBR’ing them”before it is too late”

What does that even mean? Too late for what? Who, or what, is preventing you from doing so?

You talk about the next Presedential administration or ATF (which is not part of the administration, by the way) not being “gun friendly”. How does that impact the NFA or GCA? The Executive branch has nothing to do with changing federal laws that are already on the books. Nor does the ATF. It’s not like the waters are muddy on the process for making or registering an SBR.

And if you are worried about registering and confiscation, guess what? The NFA is a registry.

You talk about SBR’ing them”before it is too late”

What does that even mean? Too late for what? Who, or what, is preventing you from doing so?

You talk about the next Presedential administration or ATF (which is not part of the administration, by the way) not being “gun friendly”. How does that impact the NFA or GCA? The Executive branch has nothing to do with changing federal laws that are already on the books. Nor does the ATF. It’s not like the waters are muddy on the process for making or registering an SBR.

And if you are worried about registering and confiscation, guess what? The NFA is a registry.
I don't think the Hillary Clinton Presidency would have made e Filing such a breeze.

Under Obama, it took over a year to get a stamp for a SBR.

Then Trump was elected and suddenly it takes 2 weeks.

I expect things to change if Trump is voted out of office.

I don't think the Hillary Clinton Presidency would have made e Filing such a breeze.

Under Obama, it took over a year to get a stamp for a SBR.

Then Trump was elected and suddenly it takes 2 weeks.

I expect things to change if Trump is voted out of office.
I wouldn’t credit Trump or blame Obama for wait times.

I’ll grant you that maybe they staffed up appropriately under the current administration but the technology changes that allow e-filing and ultimately cut down on wait times were likely slated for roll out under Obama. Remember, this is a government bureaucracy we’re talking about. The ship does not turn on a dime.

What, exactly, do you expect to change WRT to ATF SBR approvals if Trump is not re-elected? I just don’t see how you’re making the leap.

I wouldn’t credit Trump or blame Obama for wait times.

I’ll grant you that maybe they staffed up appropriately under the current administration but the technology changes that allow e-filing and ultimately cut down on wait times were likely slated for roll out under Obama. Remember, this is a government bureaucracy we’re talking about. The ship does not turn on a dime.

What, exactly, do you expect to change WRT to ATF SBR approvals if Trump is not re-elected? I just don’t see how you’re making the leap.
If Trump is not elected I expect a ban on semi auto rifles. All kinds of AR15's.

The best sort of AR is an SBR since you can put any length upper on it.

Once they ban AR15's - there will be no way to register a SBR.

So, I'm thinking of getting by lowers registered as SBR's before that happens.

The democrats are promising all sorts of gun bans.

It is just a matter of time before they take over and make good on their promises.

If Trump is not elected I expect a ban on semi auto rifles. All kinds of AR15's.

The best sort of AR is an SBR since you can put any length upper on it.

Once they ban AR15's - there will be no way to register a SBR.

So, I'm thinking of getting by lowers registered as SBR's before that happens.

The democrats are promising all sorts of gun bans.

It is just a matter of time before they take over and make good on their promises.

What does any of that have to do with rifles or lowers you currently own?

Again, I don’t think you have a firm grasp on how Executive Powers, Congress, the ATF, or NFA work.

I can promise you that MA will take your firearms long before the feds do. So there’s that.

I'm trying to think this trough logically.

You're trying to protect your assets in case of a national ban

If things are grandfathered, then it doesn't make a difference.
It's still registered via the 4473 at a national level and there would be a record of it being transferred to you prior to the ban.

If things aren't grandfathered, then you just lost $200 and it's really on the ATF/NFA radar.

I’m confused your worried about confiscation so you want to register something? Your also saying you ain’t letting “them “ take your guns , I assume this means your drawing down and letting the lead fly. So why do anything at all but build buy and keep your shit with out telling anyone and if/when “they” come you will have your stuff and “they “ won’t know what you have to defend yourself with

More NES bench racing! No one can forecast what will happen. Whether Fed or state level there may be grandfathering or there may not. Think about magazines in NY or bump stocks even. In Mass who knows could go either way.

However you can always take something off the NFA registry if you want. Yeah you could blow $200 but really over a lifetime does that matter. I say get what you want, what you can afford and if it is investment you want then buy a mutual fund not a gun.

As an individual since I just need to notify CLEO and he won't care.

I would go the trust route if you want to leave them to any children of family members. If you truly are concerned about a future ban on transfers. Turst was not much when I set i up with Rock Maple, couple hundred bucks.

I also probably take it to an extreme, BUTTTT my wife has guns and has acess to the safe with federally registered firearms. If I'm out of the house she technically has direct access to federal registered firearms that are not under my supervision. Also if something were to happen to me she has power to sell off items if/when I die.

Back
Top Bottom