pre-ban mags by mail.

I know that ordering 10 rnd mags is OK. But I found some Pre-Ban mags someone has out of state, would this be legal to have them shipped to me in MA?

thanks!

As a precautionary measure, you might want to send the seller a copy of your LTC. Some saavy sellers will ask for this info.

I've only done that when asked by the seller (twice in about a dozen or so transactions).

Both times after scanning in a copy of my LTC I altered/changed my license number and DOB with Photoshop.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious/paranoid, but as far as I'm concerend, all they need to know is that I posses a valid LTC.

As a precautionary measure, you might want to send the seller a copy of your LTC. Some saavy sellers will ask for this info.

Why?

Forgetting about the Massachusetts high cap baloney for a moment, aren't they just parts?

and what potential liability is there for the seller

If you choose to own non hi-cap mags in Massachusetts without any FID or LTC what is the problem? Anyone can walk into Dick's and buy them as they like.

If you are properly licensed and choose to own hi-caps and they are not preban, isn't that a problem confined to the person in possession?

Last edited:
If you are buying large capacity pistol mags and you are bringing them to MA, you need to have a Class A LTC. If they are large cap rifle mags, either a Class A or B LTC will do.

Like it or not, here in MA, they are not "just parts".

YEP!!! I bought some preban Sig mags from a guy in NY. When he told me where to send the check he also asked my for a copy of my my LTC... he was a LEO. [wink]

I know that ordering 10 rnd mags is OK. But I found some Pre-Ban mags someone has out of state, would this be legal to have them shipped to me in MA?

thanks!

As long as you have the approrpriate LTC to possess them, it's
fine. IIRC, "normal" mags that hold more than 10 rounds are
controlled items in MA.

-Mike

What if you have a couple "hi-cap" mags and aren't sure if they are pre-ban or not. What if there is no date on them, and you can't find the reciept, nor recall exactly where you purchased them? Hypothetically, of course.

What if you have a couple "hi-cap" mags and aren't sure if they are pre-ban or not. What if there is no date on them, and you can't find the reciept, nor recall exactly where you purchased them? Hypothetically, of course.

Hypothetically, they were made in 1993 [smile]

Hypothetically, they were made in 1993 [smile]

Some mags you can almost automatically assume in most cases that they were pre-ban. Like the 75 round drum mags out there for AK's and such. Their importation was stopped with the AWB and continues till today if I am not mistaken. I'm actually getting a Romanian 75 round drum mag sent to me from a dealer, they did ask for a copy of my LTC to be sent to them for their reference.

Without proof one way or the other, then hypothetically you could be the test case. [rolleyes]

THEN YOU LEAVE IT UP TO MASSACHUSETTS TO DECIDE FOR YOU?? BAD IDEA!!! LOL

[shocked]

Normal mags

As long as you have the approrpriate LTC to possess them, it's
fine. IIRC, "normal" mags that hold more than 10 rounds are
controlled items in MA.

-Mike

I apologize if this is a stupid question. Are P88 14 round mags pre-ban mags?

I apologize if this is a stupid question. Are P88 14 round mags pre-ban mags?

Not sure of that model offhand. I would have to say "yes" because I remember seeing P88 normal cap mags mentioned in a
catalog I got years ago, during the ban... and this particular
vendor also shipped to MA, too, at least to dealers. Of course
if there is new production mags for that gun (Is the P88 even
made anymore?) then obviously any mags which were made post 9/13/94 are illegal. How you could prove when they were made is a crapshoot, unless they are LE marked. (which means they're illegal.. )

-Mike

The P88 stopped production in 96', so you have to watch out whether or not the production mags are preban or not. I'm not sure if the mags made after 9/94 are marked or not.

does this mean that if I find some pre-ban high caps up in, say, Maine, I can buy them there? OR will it ultimately depend on whether you need a Maine permit to make such a purchase?

The reason i ask is I found some this past weekend, and want to pick them up!

does this mean that if I find some pre-ban high caps up in, say, Maine, I can buy them there? OR will it ultimately depend on whether you need a Maine permit to make such a purchase?

BUY them wherever you want.

BRING them into MA and you'd better be sure they are "pre-ban."

Back
Top Bottom