Pre-Ban Beretta 92FS magazines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

How can I tell whether a Beretta 92FS magazine is legal in MA. I got two 15 round magazines from Four Seasons - I feel confident that they wouldn't sell me something illegal, but I wanted to know if there was a way I could check. 'Trust but lock your doors,' and all that. MFS put some healthy fear of MA gun laws into me.

Thanks!

When I still had my 92FS I had a few mags that were completely unmarked. No idea if those were preban or not. Do yours have markings on them?

Only: "PB Cal. 9 Para Made in Italy"

Sounds like they are good, according to vellnueve?

Hi,

How can I tell whether a Beretta 92FS magazine is legal in MA. I got two 15 round magazines from Four Seasons - I feel confident that they wouldn't sell me something illegal, but I wanted to know if there was a way I could check. 'Trust but lock your doors,' and all that. MFS put some healthy fear of MA gun laws into me.

Thanks!

If they do not have any sort of date stamped on them, or the "Restricted..." statement, then it sounds like they are pre-ban.

There is no way to tell unless it has LE markings or other date markings imprinted on it. I've never seen a 100% authoritative source on Beretta mags. (or most brands, for that matter....)

-Mike

If they are LE stamped or are marked 'MDS' they are post-ban. If they are marked 'PB', I don't believe there is any way to tell whether they are pre or post-ban.

Only: "PB Cal. 9 Para Made in Italy"

Sounds like they are good, according to vellnueve?

Mine say the same exact thing and I purchased them from Four Seasons. Is there a way to determine whether or not these are preban? They look almost brand new which makes me nervous. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you kind sir. I've searched for days before bumping this thread, I hope someone has some info!

I got some info by voicemail but it was incomplete and leads to another question, so I won't post anything until I get the full scoop.

Lately I've noticed some Italian 92FS Mags with PB stamped base plates that I suspect are post ban being marketed frequently as pre-ban. I cant prove one way or another their status so I tend to stay clear. Nearly all my pre-ban are from the early M9 Contract and have the ASSY wording on the other side and could be form Italy or the US.

the ones I always stay away from are the PB mags from the US or Italy that have the flattened V ridge.

all in all its very sketchy which mags are pre ban and which are post.

Last edited:
I bought about 3 Beretta pre-ban mags from FS a few years ago. Besides not specifically stamped as "LE only", they were good enough to specifically state on the receipt "Pre-Ban 92 mags". I kept the receipt just in case. Certainly doesn't hurt if the question ever came up whether I knowingly bought "post-ban" mags.

Man, I hate this state.

Not sure how helpful this will be but here's what I have.

Just spoke to my friend and here's how he tells it. [This friend was the regional Beretta sales rep for a number of years, holds an FFL and is a real gun person. He's now a FT PO.]

- Beretta has been making 15 rd mags since the 1980s,
- He is unaware that any with flat instead of sharp ridges were an indicator of post-ban vs. pre-ban,
- He is unaware that one can use PB marked plastic baseplates as any indicator (remember too these can be replaced with impunity),

He said that unless they are marked LE/Mil only or are 17 rd mags, there really is no way to tell and he seriously doubts that Beretta (factory) would tell anyone what the indicators are for post-ban mags.

He also said that no LEO would be able to tell one from another or spend the time trying to figure it out.

So the only possible definitive way to get an answer here would be to directly query the mfr and see what they tell us. I did it for Glock (nobody here trusts that answer even though it came from Glock USA's chief counsel and head technician, further verified by Patrick Sweeney in his 2003 edition of "Gun Digest Book of the Glock" and from Matt Mederios, manager of AFS wrt his personally owned G21) but don't have the contacts to do that at Beretta.

My rule of thumb, if they arnt marked with LE, and have no date, they are good, beretta mags are impossible to determine. Cant try you for post ban mags if there is no way to tell! I did the same... Bought a bunch and saved the receipts that say pre ban, just so my butt is covered...!

Not sure how helpful this will be but here's what I have.

Just spoke to my friend and here's how he tells it. [This friend was the regional Beretta sales rep for a number of years, holds an FFL and is a real gun person. He's now a FT PO.]

- Beretta has been making 15 rd mags since the 1980s,
- He is unaware that any with flat instead of sharp ridges were an indicator of post-ban vs. pre-ban,
- He is unaware that one can use PB marked plastic baseplates as any indicator (remember too these can be replaced with impunity),

He said that unless they are marked LE/Mil only or are 17 rd mags, there really is no way to tell and he seriously doubts that Beretta (factory) would tell anyone what the indicators are for post-ban mags.

He also said that no LEO would be able to tell one from another or spend the time trying to figure it out.

So the only possible definitive way to get an answer here would be to directly query the mfr and see what they tell us. I did it for Glock (nobody here trusts that answer even though it came from Glock USA's chief counsel and head technician, further verified by Patrick Sweeney in his 2003 edition of "Gun Digest Book of the Glock" and from Matt Mederios, manager of AFS wrt his personally owned G21) but don't have the contacts to do that at Beretta.

Thank you for everything, LenS! +rep!

even if the mags are pre ban it is not compliant to have or use them in post ban gun

Woefully incorrect. I've heard that spouted by ignorant gun shop owners or patrons before. It matters not if the gun is pre or post ban (and we're referring to the AWB, here, not dealer sales regulation AG crap).

even if the mags are pre ban it is not compliant to have or use them in post ban gun

What gun shop do you work at or own?? [rolleyes]

I really enjoy that you waited two years to post something, and this was it.

And he obviously never bothered to read anything (like any Stickies) here in the gun laws section before becoming an "ex-spurt"! [thinking]

On what? If there's no way to tell, why not just use them? This whole idea of 20 year-old metal being legal and anything newer being illegal is insulting anyways.

On what? If there's no way to tell, why not just use them? This whole idea of 20 year-old metal being legal and anything newer being illegal is insulting anyways.

Well, your original question was too broad to just answer "Yes", at least in Massachusetts and maybe a few other retarded states.

Anything larger than 10 rounds and newer than September 12, 1994, is still not allowed in Massachusetts.

And the fact that this is insulting is a sentiment shared by about 99.99% of the members of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom