• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PPK

father has the interarms version of the ppk/s. jamomatic. Also, it wont even chamber hollow points, but I am not even sure if it is supposed to.

PPKs have a long and checkered past mainly because they have been in production for so long and have been made by four different manufacturers (Walther, Manurhin, Interarms and S&W) in three different countries and under several different sets of political conditions. Even the Walther factory has relocated at least once (originally in Thuringia, then when that became part of the Soviet Zone of occupation later the DDR; Walther engineers fled and the plant was relocated to Ulm/Donau in West Germany.) Post-war PP's and PPK's were made with the Walther banner but under license in France ! . As you know, Walther pocket pistols are currently made by S&W under license. The other American made Walther was made by Interarms which was primarily a CIA connected arms import/export firm. (The history of Interarms in and of itself is a topic worthy of a book). Quality control has varied as well, a PP or a PPK made under late WWII conditions will not nearly be as well made or finished as its pre-war or post-war counterpart, for instance. There appears to be a consensus among Walther fans that the Interarms made guns (produced in a factory in one of the US Southern States) as opposed to the Interarms imported guns were not as well made as their European counterparts. Both the PP and the PPK were designed to fire hardball ammunition in their original designs.

There are simply too many variables therefore to make a general statement about the PPK, other than it should perform reliably with hardball. Certainly, newer specimens of the pistol will probably fire hollowpoint rounds reliably, but I still think that even that can vary from individual gun to individual gun. S&W (as much as I have an emotional and small financial attachment to the firm) has developed a reputation for inconsistant quality control, so one batch of pistols might be just fine with hollowpoints while another batch might have real issues with it.

The only way to tell, is to see how your pistol works with various types of ammunition.

Mark L.

Last edited:
i just got a walther ppk i was told there picky wiht what ammo you shoot is this true?
I got a new ppks and put 150 round of S&B and some hydra shock and no problems. They are very tight. I keep mine well lubed., very nice carry gun. I carry mine all the time,John

I've a PP that I bought 30+ years ago,West German police trade in cal 32acp and feeds everything I've put thru it. I payed $230 for it and to this day I kick myself for not getting a second. Came with a holster original box and manuals,2 magazines and was in very good shape minor holster wear. Gun is in my safe so I don't know the manufacturer
off hand. IIRC most of the PPks problem were mag related.

I've had my Interarms PPK/s for about 7 years and It's fed everything I've thrown at it. The only problem I had was with hammer follow, where it would return to DA after each shot (but would not fire the next round, thankfully). I replaced the hammer, recoil and hammer block springs and that fixed it.

I have a German PPK/s in .380, made in 1971 and imported by Interarms. It ran everything I ever fed it including lead round nose, FMJ, JHP, reloads of all sorts, etc.

YMMV

father has the interarms version of the ppk/s. jamomatic. Also, it wont even chamber hollow points, but I am not even sure if it is supposed to.
I had an Interarms PPK; quite reliable. Loved Winchester Silvertips. Or FMJ of most any brand.

One thing to be aware of - do NOT try and feed it Blazers in aluminum hulls - jammed every time.

Back
Top Bottom