Looking for a PPK that, um, well, works!

Hi Everyone,

Love the PPK design (PPK/S over here I believe), fits the hand well, like the SA/DA setup.

Only problem, I can't find one that works well! First one I had kept failing to go into battery, the slide would stop 1/16 of an inch or so, only a tap was needed, but this happened several times per magazine. Would like another try at them, but have read nothing but horror stories on the newer ones.

Ideas? Anything similar in design? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

Thanks,
Pel

I was the third or fourth owner of a S&W PPK/s. When I got it it would either not go into battery, or would double feed. It went back to S&W for the recall and acually came back worse. I stripped it all the way down, cleaned everything. Put in a set of Wolff replacement springs and keep it clean and very lightly oiled and it now runs like a top. Last fewrange trip a couple hundred rounds went through it with out any issue each time. Even with that, if you can find a German made one for decent money, go that route, but if all you see is a S&W, even the ones that have major problems can be made to run right and may not cost a lot to get running that way. Also, from all the info on the Walther forums, my S&W recoil spring was not showing the signs of needing replacement, but a set of springs does not cost much and I figured it would not hurt to try. Glad I did.

I have a PP in 32 acp that I bought 30 years ago works like a dollar watch,feeds everything even hollow points. Was a west German police trade in,kick myself for not buying 2.
From those I knew that had a PPK/s (Interarms import) most of the problems seemed to be magazine related. Not sure of the S&W version though,fellow that I worked with bought one for his GF and she couldn't hit anything with it and when he broke it down to clean it small interior parts fell out and he had to return it to S&W for repair.

Couple of ways to go..

If you could find an old German (non interams) PPk, those are generally very well made and very reliable.
In 32acp they have a rep for being perfect (not sure about recent S&W here).

Or.. Buy your standard issue interarms or S&W, take it to a good gunsmith (Greg Derr or LaRocca) and have them do a complete overhaul. You will get back a perfect PPK..

S&W PPK's are complete trash. If you want a reliable one you have to get a German made one. I have 2 that are German made and work flawlessly. I have never had one issue and I have put countless rounds through them.

Mine would have these sorts of issues. Went back to SW for the recall, and came back working! I think polishing the feed ramp ( and they may have added a 'gutter' down the middle of the ramp) help. I cleaned it and oiled it and it runs great, ball or hollow point (Hornady Critical Defense & Remington Golden Saber). These things like to run wet, so keep em lubed.

I heard lots of horror stories, but got one anyway. Glad I did.

You can get them pretty cheap now, so even if you spend a little $ with a gunsmith, I think its worth it. Accurate bugger as well!

Thanks for the thoughts, looks like the German route it shall be.
How do you tell if it is non Interarms? Lack of a stamp of some kind?

Even the German one's can be problematic. Interarms guns are top notch and even better the German guns in my opinion. If you use hot 380 ammo any of the PPK or PPKs guns work.

Last edited:
...Love the PPK design (PPK/S over here I believe), fits the hand well, like the SA/DA setup.

Only problem, I can't find one that works well! First one I had kept failing to go into battery, the slide would stop 1/16 of an inch or so, only a tap was needed, but this happened several times per magazine. Would like another try at them, but have read nothing but horror stories on the newer ones.

Ideas? Anything similar in design? ...

Take a look at the Sig 232:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&xhr=t&...gc.r_pw.&fp=bac1613afc251958&biw=1018&bih=581

Actually most PP's, PPK's and PPK/S's made in the post-war period and imported by Interarms were made by Manurhin in France even though they were marked made in W. Germany. The West German Police trade-in PP's were good as I recall. Haven't heard great things about the S&W's, also the design is a little long in the tooth (but I'm a guy who still loves the old S&W Model 39 9mm and the Browning Hi Power so I should talk [grin])...if Walther DA pocket autos are what you like, look for an older one which has been previously suggested.

Back
Top Bottom