• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powder measure. Leave full,or empty after use ?

I have had powder in my powder measure for over a year. I fill it when it gets 1/2 empty to keep the pressure consistent. I read that somewhere.
I have changed powder from pistol to rifle. I used Titegroup for my pistol loads.
I cleaned out the powder measure and tried to clean the plastic reservoir. The powder melted into the plastic.
Hornady is sending me a new one for free. They told me to dump the powder after each use.
is this normal? My buddy has had powder in his for years,and he has never had an issue. He stopped reloading for several years and just got back into it. His is fine.
Just wondering.
Thanks, Mike

I leaver powder in my measures. One downside is that the p-lastic tube will become discolored to the point that it is difficult to tell how much powder you have (on my Dillon measures anyway). I keep a notebook attached to each machine with the current settings and the type of powder in the measure.

Powder is hygroscopic. It WILL absorb atmospheric water. It will change the density of the powder and make it clumpy, especially on a damp day.

Always empty the powder measure when you are done for the day.

Last edited:
I have three Dillon presses for pistols and revolvers, I use only Titegroup. As I reload at least 3-4 times a week, I never empty the powder measures and have never had a problem with clumping or moisture. The reservoirs do discolor a little but not so much that I cannot see the powder level easily. I take a strip of paper with the charge setting on it and place it in the top of the reservoir so it wraps around the inside and just add new powder as needed. I also reload 12 gauge using Hodgdon's Clays and and have had no problems with it either. Have been reloading for about 18 years. I was told by Hodgdon that "if you can't remember when you last reloaded, then dump the powder and start over".

Always empty it out and it helps to have multiple measures too. We have a different measure for each caliber we reload and now have the powder measurement labeled directly on the powder measure for easy access.

I have one of the Lee measures, I take a small 3x5" peice of paper, write what powder it is, and what the measure is set to, and put it inside the hopper so it shows through the outside. When I change powders, I tape it to the powder can so I know what to set the measure to next time without looking it up.

Powder is hydroscopic. It WILL absorb atmospheric water. It will change the density of the powder and make it clumpy, especially on a damp day.

Always empty the powder measure when you are done for the day.

This may be true under certain circumstances. My experience, however, is quite different. In 30 years of reloading and leaving the powder measure full, I have never experienced any problems with the powder, nor have my chrono results shown any variations. I must admit that the basement that I reload in is quite dry, not a drop of water in 40 years.

This may be true under certain circumstances. My experience, however, is quite different. In 30 years of reloading and leaving the powder measure full, I have never experienced any problems with the powder, nor have my chrono results shown any variations. I must admit that the basement that I reload in is quite dry, not a drop of water in 40 years.

I have read conflicting reports about smokeless powder, but tend to think it is not hygroscopic. I have also left powder in measures with no discernible difference, except that I think it settles and the settings are a bit off. Dumping it, and then pouring it back in seems to cure things.

If I had a humidor, it might be fun to run some experiments.

B

If I even think that I will be reloading anytime soon, I don't empty them but know I should. I put tape on the measure and mark the powder type and what I was dropping. Can't say that I ever had a problem with leaving powder in the measure besides discoloration but keeping it in it's original container is best.

I have always emptied mine back into the original container for safety reasons. I only keep one powder on the bench at a time, the one I am using.

There is no right or wrong answer just ways to be more organized and safer. I also didin't want my measures to discolor so I can easily see how much powder is in them.

Many books on reloading recommend returning the powder to its original container. Remember you are the quality control department at your bench.

The reasons for emptying are

1. As stated powder is hygroscopic.

2. It will discolour the plastic container on the powder measure.

Back
Top Bottom