Portsmouth NH~Bangor Maine to NYC Bomb Bus

New Hampshire Police Investigate Bomb Threat on Bus

Police and fire officials are blocking streets in Portsmouth, N.H., around a Greyhound bus after a man reportedly threatened he had a bomb.

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- Police and fire officials are blocking streets in Portsmouth, N.H., around a Greyhound bus after a man reportedly threatened he had a bomb.

The state police explosives disposal unit has responded to the threat Thursday. Police evacuated residents and buildings in the area, including a Hilton hotel where an alarm sounded. A parking garage also has been closed.

The bus had left Bangor, Maine, and was en route to New York City. It was unclear whether the bus was occupied.

Developing...

Last edited:
I found this - http://www.1010wins.com/NH-Police-Investigate-Bomb-Threat-on-NYC-Bound-Bus/6984972

E-Mail StoryPrint StoryShareThisText Size: A A A Email Story

Posted: Thursday, 06 May 2010 12:51PM

Portsmouth NH Police Investigate Bomb Threat on NYC-Bound Greyhound Bus

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (AP) -- Police and fire officials are blocking streets in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, around a New York City-bound Greyhound bus after a man reportedly threatened he had a bomb.

Officers evacuated residents and buildings, and a parking garage has been closed.

Police Chief Lou Ferland told the Portsmouth Herald said the man threatened he had a bomb.

A broadcast report says the bus left from Bangor, Maine.

New Hampshire bus bomb scare standoff ends
After 9 hours suspect in custody, no explosive found

PORTSMOUTH - A standoff between cops and a man on a Greyhound bus on Hanover Street ended nine hours after police were called for a report of a possible bomb on board.

At approximately 8:40 p.m. Thursday, a man wearing camouflage pants and no shirt got off the bus, and police moved in to take him into custody.

Portsmouth Police Chief David Ferland said the man was being questioned and the incident was not terrorism-related.

“We do not believe this to be a terrorist event,” Ferland said last night. “We are considering this to be a localized event only.”

READ MORE

So, some mary hairnet heard a foreign language and thought she heard the word bomb? Is that what this was all about? Jeezus.

-Mike

Police said two arrests were made in connection with the incident. John Smolens, of Maine, was charged with resisting arrest and refusing to cooperate with authorities. Police said he did not follow instructions given by SWAT members who were trying to evaluate any threats posed by the passengers as they disembarked.
Police said they used a Tazer to stun Smolens after he physically struggled with an officer.

"This stemmed from his refusal of verbal orders from SWAT team members when he came off the bus," Ferland said. "He also refused to cooperate in the overnight bail process and was held on $250 cash bail."

Smolens, 68, pleaded not guilty and was released on $2,500 bail.

Calvin Segar, of New York, was charged with obstructing governmental administration for giving false names, Ferland said. Police said he first stated he was Troy Jackson and then gave Dion Scurry as his name. It wasn't until his mother called police, saying she saw the bomb scare on television and was worried about her son, that Segar gave his real name, police said.
Segar, 29, has a record for drug possession and said he was nervous and lied. He was ordered held on $7,500 cash bail.

They decided to take the bus on the wrong day and this is what they got in return. Disgusting.

Although the standoff was the result of a misunderstanding, Ferland said the massive law enforcement response was justified.

"It was a well-measured and appropriate response," he said.

No it wasn't. You and every dipshit running the show there were more interested in playing with your toys. There was no threat. There was no one claiming to have a bomb. There was a nervous nellie who overheard a conversation in a whole other language she likely didn't speak and you took this information like it was gospel. If every PD responded to every dipshit bomb threat like this, this country would grind to a halt.

Just because you didn't torture the african dude, doesn't mean we don't live in a police state. Disgusting.

Any excuse to roll out maximum assets and provide some justification of the S.W.A.T. investments.

The tactical team probably was bored out of their skulls doing run of the mill process services, and needed an outlet.

So, some mary hairnet heard a foreign language and thought she heard the word bomb? Is that what this was all about? Jeezus.

-Mike

Tell me about it - hopefully they'll charge her with felony evesdropping (doubt it, the state loves people who'll drop a dime on someone):
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LVIII/570-A/570-A-2.htm
CHAPTER 570-A - WIRETAPPING AND EAVESDROPPING
[snip...]
Section 570-A:2 Interception and Disclosure of Telecommunication or Oral Communications Prohibited. –
I. A person is guilty of a class B felony if, except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter or without the consent of all parties to the communication, the person:
[snip...]
(c) Wilfully discloses, or endeavors to disclose, to any other person the contents of any telecommunication or oral communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a telecommunication or oral communication in violation of this paragraph

They decided to take the bus on the wrong day and this is what they got in return. Disgusting.
[snip...]
Just because you didn't torture the african dude, doesn't mean we don't live in a police state. Disgusting.

If I was a foreign person (legally) here, I'm not so sure I'd want to get off the bus either after seeing them Taser an elderly American. Resisting arrest I can understand, I guess, what was he being arrested for? Made me wonder what exactly you have to do to be charged with it.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/html/LXII/642/642-2.htm
642:2 Resisting Arrest or Detention. – A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when the person knowingly or purposely physically interferes with a person recognized to be a law enforcement official, including a probation or parole officer, seeking to effect an arrest or detention of the person or another regardless of whether there is a legal basis for the arrest. A person is guilty of a class B felony if the act of resisting arrest or detention causes serious bodily injury, as defined in RSA 625:11, VI, to another person. Verbal protestations alone shall not constitute resisting arrest or detention.

It would appear that regardless of whether there is legal basis for the arrest, you can not legally resist. You may verbally protest, hooray, but I would recommend just keeping your mouth shut. Can't hurt to ask if you're being detained or are free to go.

As others have said, at least they got to break out their toys. Hopefully they let the older guy off, seems like some BS trumped up charges to me.

Back
Top Bottom