Ported Barrel Question?

The Goose

NES Member
I am looking for feedback on ported barrels. Specifically on revolvers and even more specifically on snubby revolvers. I have certainly heard extremely strong negative opinions on ported barrels on snubby's. The two main arguments have been blinding muzzle flash in dim light and hot gases igniting clothing when held close to the body or fired through a pocket. What do you guys think? Real world what have you experienced?

Recently I was offered a very nice snubby. Someone had done some beautiful work. Bobbed hammer, true DAO, great trigger job and then I spotted the ported barrel. My initial reaction was; forget it. Then I thought and realized I do not know squat first hand. I have read in more then one book that ported barrels on snubby's are a no - no. Heard the same thing in classes I have taken. Any other feedback? Am I just buying some party line or are ported barrels truly a mistake on a defensive handgun?

I will confess that I would love to hear from Round Gun Shooter on this topic. The man knows his revolvers.

Last edited:
I bought one of the first 657's 41 mags, it's a 4 inch that I got brand new in 1986, it was a limited run of only 2000. Porting a barrel was pretty popular at the time for magnums. So I sent it to magna port before I took it home.

I would have to say it really made a difference in the way you can regain your sight picture and control it a little better than if it wasn't ported. But you have to take in to consideration that is with full house magnum 240gr loads.

But it has a couple of draw backs. Just like you said not only do you get a flash from the end of the barrel you get a pretty big flash and blow back from the ports on the end of the barrel. It's real noticeable in low light situations, like in a range booth. But not bad at all out doors.

A little know fact about porting is it increases the noise when it's fired. I've had guys with 44 mags step out of their booths and ask me what I'm shooting that's louder than their 44mags. Yet when I let them fire it they can't belive the reduction in recoil compared to a 44mag.

Also you don't want to use a weaver or chapman stance using one. The blow back from the ports will give you a little sting around the face and you better be wearing glasses if you do. Don't ask how I know this.

Another thiing about ported barrels if you fire it a lot your not going to want to use any lead in it. The porting gets leaded up real bad and it takes a while to clean it. You have to let the barrel sit in a lead remover like coopers.

I think porting in a 4 inch magnum barrel is fine, but I wouldn't buy a snub nose that's been ported.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger SBH that I had ported by Magnaport and am quite pleased with the results. It's a 4 5/8' barrel before with full power loads it's was a wrist wrencher now its a pussy cat. but I did not have the leading problem that Bugs100 had. There's a pic of it in the gun gallery if you wish to see it. I had a new grip frame,trigger and hammer and an action job done as well. If I were you buy the pistol and blast away

Steve,

I can't help with the snubbie part of the equation, but I could offer a "hands-on" display of just what porting can do...

I've got a Ruger Super BlackHawk in .44 Magnum, 7½" barrel and a Smith & Wesson model 629, 6" barrel. The Smith has a ported barrel. The Ruger weighs more.

Shooting the two of them, there's no contest - the Smith is *FAR* more enjoyable to shoot, with significantly reduced recoil. I put a full box of .44 Magnum through it last Saturday without any problems, whereas the Ruger I can only handle about 3 - 4 cylinders before it goes back in the case...

Just my anecdotal evidence, which I could (easily) be persuaded to let you try out should be you inclined...

I shoot a lot with my .500 S&W, and cleaning the compensator is a royal PIA. Ported barrels would be similar. One saving grace with the .500 is that the compensator is removable. I'd hate to think about cleaning with while still on the gun.

That said, I don't think I'd want to shoot this without the comp.

I shoot a lot with my .500 S&W, and cleaning the compensator is a royal PIA. Ported barrels would be similar. One saving grace with the .500 is that the compensator is removable. I'd hate to think about cleaning with while still on the gun.

That said, I don't think I'd want to shoot this without the comp.

Chris, I've shot mine without it. It's not as bad as you might think.

I have a 4" 500. One mistake you don't want to make is to confuse the lead/jacketed compensators. I put dozens of rounds of lead through my jacketed compensator. When I finally got it cleaned, I could've almost made a bullet out of what came out of it.

A guy at my club has an 8-3/8" 500 with the fixed compensator. He flat out will not shoot lead bullets anymore.

Back
Top Bottom