Portable HAM

edin508

NES Member
Seeing as I am going to be new to the HAM world, I am looking for a portable unit. Figure I will get the most out of it this way, use it at home, in the car, and in emergency situations.
So how is this one? Anyone here have one? And how expandable are these portable units?
Thanks in advance for any input. Is this a bit much?
http://www.gigaparts.com/Yaesu-VX-8DR.html

And same part #, but says this one is quad band?
http://www.amazon.com/Quad-Band-Yaesu-Submersible-Amateur-Transceiver/dp/B004MAKK7W/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1411520504&sr=8-12&keywords=yaesu+vx-3r

Last edited:
I don't have a VX-anything, just an FT-60R and UV-5R (both 2M/440 HTs), but I don't think you can go wrong with the UX-8DR.

Personally, I would get an FT-60R or Baofeng UV-5R, get your general and save the $ for an all band mobile rig like my FT-857. I move my FT-857 from my shack to the car and back as needed and work the world from where ever. Getting the General is easier than you might think (can't resist bragging that my son got his General when he was 11).

Plus, remember that transistors don't get rusty or wear out. Used equipment is cheaper and works the same.

Last edited:
You can get 10 UV-5Rs for the price of one UX-8DR. I'm not suggesting you buy ten, just that the Baofengs are that much cheaper. If you have a few, once you program one, you can clone it and program them all the same for ease of use (get their programming cable). You also have interchangeable batteries, etc. so spares/extras are all the same.

One thing I learned after my first rag chew is that you want a separate mic. Working the mic button on the Baofeng got old real fast and the Baofeng mic is about $7. It also lets you stick the HT in a cup holder and not keep jamming the antenna into your roof liner.

Note: the ASIN for the Baofeng mic starts with B00BY [smile]

+1 on the Baofengs.

I have several Baofengs and am pleased with this product for the price. The price is right at approx $40 ea on Amazon or ebay. They can be a little difficult to program to begin with so I suggest you get the progam cable and s/w (I think the s/w can be downloaded from the net?). Accessories are priced right as well.

Well then, looks like I am going to get a Baofeng. I did see these all over e-bay and got scared of the price, thought they were just cheap. And I will grab a mic to go with it, thanks guys!!

Well then, looks like I am going to get a Baofeng. I did see these all over e-bay and got scared of the price, thought they were just cheap. And I will grab a mic to go with it, thanks guys!!

And the programming cable. You don't want to program this thing by hand. CHIRP is what most people use to program it. You can get repeater info from nerepeaters.com. It also has the ability to skip programmed frequencies in scan mode, so you can program in a bunch of FRS frequencies but skip them when you just want to scan your favorite repeaters.

I got an extra battery when I bought mine and it's nice to keep one charged. You get a warning when the battery is low, but once you reach warning level you have about 30 seconds left.

Next you'll want to upgrade the antenna. I use a roll-up j-pole I bought off eBay. I just hang it from a curtain rod (inside) or a tree branch (outside) and it's way better than the rubber duck it comes with. I also have a 1/4 wave (?) rubber duck antenna that is way better than the original.

There, I think that should overload you enough for now.

I don't know much about that model Baofeng, but that looks like the antenna I have.

There's a lot of discussion on the UV-5R radios in this thread. It's worth reading to get familiar with the models and issues people have had and what their solutions are.

If you are interested in the roll-up antenna, a lot of people buy from n9tax on eBay. I bought mine from this guy and I have no complaints. He was quick to e-mail me and make sure what I ordered was going to work for my radio. It's more compact than the ones n9tax has, or at least had at the time.

Well I bought it. This is basically a UV-5R, second gen, all of the 5R batteries etc. are compatible with this unit. Thanks again for all the help, and all this for 80 bucks!

Baofeng BF-S112 Two Way Radio Speaker
Sold by: Lui De Chang

BaoFeng BF-F8+ (USA Warranty) Dual-Band 136-174/400-520 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, HT, Transceiver - With Battery, Antenna and Charger
Sold by: Foscam Digital Technologies LLC

USB Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R UV-3R+ Two way Radio With Driver CD
Sold by: Tianke

Genuine Nagoya NA-771 (Updated) SMA Female 15.6" Dual Band Antenna (144/430Mhz) BaoFeng Tech - BaoFeng, Kenwood, Wouxun Compatible (including UV-82, U
Sold by: BaoFeng Tech

Baofeng 7.4v 3800mAh Li-ion Battery for UV-5R UV-5R-L BF-F8 BF-F8+ BF-F9 by ExpertPower®
Sold by: primacy

91qBzKP%2BndL._SL1500_.jpg

Holy smokes! This thing is tiny, and packs a lot of functions. Can you say overwhelmed and confused..
Yup, that's about the right reaction. It's a computer, just like the one on your desk. Only instead of having about 80 buttons and a 20" display it's got 18 buttons and a 2" display. Every damned thing is burried in cryptic menus. It's OK though. Just program in the repeaters you need, plus the calling frequencies and keep it in memory mode and it's all simple.

You make it sound easy, haha. I will take a better look at it tomorrow after it's done with it's initial charge. Hoping my neighbor is around too, he may be able to help me out, he is on the CERT crew with me as well so there may be some things to program in for that as well. And I guess it's time to look for some YouTube vids too, there seems to be a YouTube vid for everything these days.

Check out CHIRP for programming it. You can start entering in your repeaters and calling freqs and so on and monkey with the other stuff later. Fortunately there are a lot of "set it and forget it" features, and options for things you'll never use. That gets some of the overwhelming features settled.

I don't know if the default "roger tone" is set to on or off, but I learned very quickly that nobody wants to listen to that crap; just turn it off before you hear "Someone using this repeater has that annoying roger tone on. Would you please turn it off, it's driving me crazy?" coming over the repeater.

Congrats and have fun.

Chirp is a must. One of the helpful features in chirp is the ability to "skip" programmed channels that you don't want to waste time stopping on when you are scanning. For instance, I skip the NOAA weather channel and a bunch of others that will always have chatter, but I don't always need to stop on.

I do have Chirp, and managed to get a bunch of repeaters programmed in. I think I need to go back and edit some though, it seems no transmission freq. were programmed in. I had my neighbor try it who has his general lic.. and he couldn't transmit anything on my unit, but it heard him talking from his.

Ed - have you got your license already? if so, welcome to the world of ham radio!

I have a couple Baofeng UV-B5's, and I'd say the Baofengs in general are a great value. They work great for using repeaters, and with the repeater networks, I've been able in some cases to speak with folks pretty far away (e.g. in Los Angeles on a trip, I spoke with someone in Washington state). However they're only the shorter wavelength bands - mine is 2M and 70cm, meaning they are not going to work for long-range unaided communication. If there's not a repeater around, you've got only a couple/few miles of range depending on your obstructions.

I'd suggest, when funds permit, picking up something that will allow you to communicate on the longer wavelengths. For example, you could pick up a Yaesu FT-857 - it's portable, 100 watts, and covers all the Hf bands, as well as the UHF bands the Baofeng models cover.

Make (or buy) yourself a simple dipole, and you're set up to communicate all around the world with just that radio and a few bucks worth of wire. First night I set mine up (it was pretty basic) - I spoke with France, Russia, and a couple Southern states.

These kinds of radios will often also let you listen on the common shortwave broadcast bands - to pick up foreign news broadcasts, etc.

Let us know what you end up doing.

P.S. Really missing trap nights at WSA; have been too busy to join a new club since moving.

No lic. yet, so transmitting at this point is out. I start classes next Sat. to prepare to take the tech test so I am just getting my gear together at this point, and trying to figure it all out. I'm sure more gear will be in my future, but getting this portable going is my first task. I joined the local CERT group and some of the guys recommended getting my HAM lic. and a portable unit to use.

How far did you move away? The steak went up 2 bucks, but it's still a good night out of the house.

I second the UV-5R radio. Great little radio. I got an 18" whip antenna along with the rubber duck and it does help. Programming is a challenge but can be done - however you have to get the offsets right to TX/RX from a repeater. I am looking to put my rig in the car and go mobile but I need to chase the antenna cable inside for that. I am thinking of getting a second UV-5R to keep in the car so I can have two, one fixed and one mobile.

I don't operate mobile that often so I just slap a mag mount antenna on the roof and slam the cable in the door. It works fine and doesn't damage the cable since the door seals in most cars are thick and soft. The UV-5R will work fine in your car with an external antenna. The difference between 5W and 50W is about 1.5 S-units, which is very little.

I just ran mine through the trough in my car. I just bought a barrel connector and a 6' BNC connector cable!

Last edited:
I don't operate mobile that often so I just slap a mag mount antenna on the roof and slam the cable in the door..

Try a little wax paper under the mount (I have a mag mount too). That way it doesn't damage the finish and paint on your car. Trim the edges to get a round surface. Worth a think.

Try a little wax paper under the mount (I have a mag mount too). That way it doesn't damage the finish and paint on your car. Trim the edges to get a round surface. Worth a think.
Great idea! I'll remember that for my next car. My Isuzu Trooper's roof is already ugly from carrying stuff and too tall for anyone to see.

Here is the question though, where can I find a mag mount antenna locally? It seems nobody has these things on the shelf. As of now the closest place to buy anything HAM is an hour and a half away.
And I had issues with the first Baofeng I bought and had to send it back. Replaced it with the Baofeng BF-F8HP for a little more power and options.

Last edited:
Here is the question though, where can I find a mag mount antenna locally? It seems nobody has these things on the shelf. As of now the closest place to buy anything HAM is an hour and a half away.
And I had issues with the first Baofeng I bought and had to send it back. Replaced it with the Baofeng BF-F8HP for a little more power and options.

There's a ham fest this Saturday the 8th at the Upper Cape Regional Vocational High School just over the Bourne Bridge. The Falmouth club is running it. Doors open at 9. You might find something there.

http://www.falara.org/

Isn't there a place in Holiston?

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

You can order from HRO or go to Salem, NH and get a Diamond antenna MR77SMA and a SMA-23 adapter witch is a mag mount and adapter, will work fine with your Baofeng.

maybe "You-do-it" Electronics in Needham. I haven't been there in quite some time so not sure what they have in stock

Back
Top Bottom