Poll: how to dispose of 10-yr-old bulk ammo?

What to do with several boxes compromised .40?

• Your only safe and responsible option is a dud bucket. Maura approves.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shoot it slow and deliberate, watching for squib/hangfire.

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Rent full auto, toss the dice.

Votes: 29 24.6%
  • Slip it in a Goodwill donation box and watch the news.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • NES karma to a Mass reloader.

Votes: 26 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
I recently got out of .40S&W because [insert joke]. Now there's the problem of rounds leftover from my deceased father -- at least a couple hundred, as I recall. It's been sitting in a safe in a Tennessee garage for at least 10 years. All factory origin but with the temp swings I figure it's bound to be compromised with condensation on the powder, off-gassed primer, etc. What to do with it?

Sounds like the OP no longer has a .40 to shoot them out of. If that’s the case, give/sell them to someone who does, with a description of their history and let them decide if they want to shoot it. As JackOfAllTrades said, I’ve regularly shot 50+ year old Greek HXP mil surplus .30-06 through my Garand’s without any issues. Just check the case/primer for any obvious issues.

Test your theory, what’s the worst that can happen, you get a dud?

You could always donate it to those commie pricks at the FBI for training!!!!

I have to agree with the earlier poster, 10 years is nothing I’ve shot loads of 50+ years old surplus with no real issue, a few duds but never a squib.

Some of my Mosin spam cans are from the 60’s.
Like others have said 10 years is just well aged.
Also like Mike said if it’s corroded, dented, or damaged in
someway then you have no choice but to properly dispose of it.

Ten years isn't very old for ammo. I have very light .30/06 ammo I loaded for my son when he was 12 years old. He's 42 now. If it looks good on the outside, either sell it or give it to someone who shoots or reloads .40.

Ive shot 1930s era 8mm Turkish Mauser that has probably been through all sorts of condition...shot fine. Had 60's era 7.62x25 from a variety of com-block countires stored in paper bundles tied together with string sitting in warehouses for decades, still fired fine. Shoot it!

Back
Top Bottom