• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poll: how to dispose of 10-yr-old bulk ammo?

What to do with several boxes compromised .40?

• Your only safe and responsible option is a dud bucket. Maura approves.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shoot it slow and deliberate, watching for squib/hangfire.

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Rent full auto, toss the dice.

Votes: 29 24.6%
  • Slip it in a Goodwill donation box and watch the news.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • NES karma to a Mass reloader.

Votes: 26 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In anticipation of winning this month's giveaway, I say karma since I don't have any ammo for it. Then I'd be willing to take on the task to get rid of the ammo [smile].

A few years ago a co-worker's grandpa cleaned out a safe. On a private property range a group of us shot a Korean War vintage bandoleer of Military issue 30.06, thru a 1943 Garand. Each enbloc mag was still in its factory cardboard sleeve!!! All 64 rounds performed as intended. The vintage .45 Frankfort Arsenal tracer rounds also fired well, but the slightly swollen casings (!) fought us upon ejection from a modern 1911... I'd give it a shot! (Insert rimshot here.....)

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm pretty stoked to learn my assumptions were way off -- now to build a stockpile my great-grandchildren will still be shooting.

Sounds like the OP no longer has a .40 to shoot them out of. If that’s the case, give/sell them to someone who does, with a description of their history and let them decide if they want to shoot it. As JackOfAllTrades said, I’ve regularly shot 50+ year old Greek HXP mil surplus .30-06 through my Garand’s without any issues. Just check the case/primer for any obvious issues.
Yep. No longer have a .40. Karma coming.
I think he means "bulk pack," like Winchester White Box.
Yep. A few of them.
If it's still in Tennessee let me know, I'll be happy to "dispose" of it for you.
Alas, just exported them. I drove right past you but didn't feel like knocking at 4:00a.

Don’t touch it. Shoot it and throw the casings in a schoolyard. The prints will come back to your deceased father so he can have a laugh at the keystone cops trying to catch him.

Jokes aside, sorry for your loss.

Finally, a serious suggestion.

Alas, just exported them. I drove right past you but didn't feel like knocking at 4:00a.

Yeah. Good decision. That might not be the door to knock on, unexpectedly, at 4am...

Shoot it... for FA I’d recommend a post sample.... if it was my family an no I inherited I’d shoo some from a crap gun the run it in my transferable.

If they were reloads is throw them out... but I guess that depends on your definition of “bulk”

Back
Top Bottom