• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police Officer Uses Taser To Break Up Kids Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Im all for peeling them off each other, all day every day.
But, what most of you dont get, those days are over. And they arent over because of the cops, theyre over because Mr and Mrs Jones are aghast that Officer GPP put his hands on their little angel Alex. They want GPPs badge, head, and more!

I get your point but there's a logic disconnect because Officer Friendly went straight to potentially lethal force. In what way is that better - i.e. less liability prone - than physically yanking them apart?

Where your argument falls totally flat is that most here has gone to school and witnessed fights being broken up by teachers without "taking full swings" at the kids. So if you aren't competent enough to break up a fight between two 13-year-olds without tasing them, find a new job, because you suck at yours.

Im pretty competent at breaking up a fight between 13 year olds, and I agree most here has gone to school ( or is it have gone to school?), but Ward and June have left the building. If Hannah and Ian dont mind me putting my hands on their little dumpling Khristoff, then Im all for old school.

But, what most of you dont get, those days are over. And they arent over because of the cops, theyre over because Mr and Mrs Jones are aghast that Officer GPP put his hands on their little angel Alex. They want GPPs badge, head, and more!
If the cops OCd the 2 combatants, Bones and Spider woukd be complaining about that too.
The "Good Old Days" are gone. Gone and not due back anytime soon.

Then I guess LE should update there list by placing tazer right after getting out of the car.

If I did go hands on with a kid, I think we all have self control (hopefully). There is nothing that says you need to go full retard swinging hay makers. And yes, maybe I am the minority (I don't think so) but I would prefer verbal commands/threats then hands on way way before tazing. Also you might of missed the part where his partner showed up seconds later? They are not deep in the forest or down some dark alley.

BTW, my kids would stop immediate if approached by PD.and that would be the end of it. I know you keep mentioning them.

Yeah, you hope your kids stop immediately when approached by the PD, and they actually may.
So youd rather 2 cops grappling with two 13 year olds, sure you would.
There was no full retard haymakers here, that was mitigated right out with the taser, wasnt it? Watch the video again, those two know the cops are there, one of them is a Sgt, you think he was just wandering around and stumbled upon a schoolyard beef?

I called it. There is that BS liability excuse. So you'd rather just pull them apart but won't because you are worried about the parents complaining and losing your job? So you lied? No surprised at all. In fact I nailed it.

GPP is doing a fantastic job illustrating the problem with police today. When he sees a cop tase kids at school his first thought is, it is everybody else's fault. How sad is that? Then in what I can only hope is in jest (though he says it isn't), says he'd rather watch them kill each other than do anything. Then he has the balls to say he is worried about "public perception". Well here is news GPP? Saying you'd rather watch kids kill each other than do anything sort of hurts the perception of you being a good cop. Like a lot.

Hey, Id be more than happy to break up your 13 year old sons fight using my hands, Id actually be even happier watching the 2 of them fight to the death to be perfectly honest

I get your point but there's a logic disconnect because Officer Friendly went straight to potentially lethal force. In what way is that better - i.e. less liability prone - than physically yanking them apart?

Potentially lethal force? What the hell is that? I must have missed that class.

Liability isnt the issue here, whether he tased or yanked.
Would I have deployed a taser? No, not at face value of the video presented. Could I have eventually got to the point of deploying a taser? Of course. Kids dont actually listen anymore, to cops, teachers, parents, etc. Verbal commands are at the onset, I agree. But if they fail to work, then what?

I called it. There is that BS liability excuse. So you'd rather just pull them apart but won't because you are worried about the parents complaining and losing your job? So you lied? No surprised at all. In fact I nailed it.

GPP is doing a fantastic job illustrating the problem with police today. When he sees a cop tase kids at school his first thought is, it is everybody else's fault. How sad is that? Then in what I can only hope is in jest (though he says it isn't), says he'd rather watch them kill each other than do anything. Then he has the balls to say he is worried about "public perception". Well here is news GPP? Saying you'd rather watch kids kill each other than do anything sort of hurts the perception of you being a good cop. Like a lot.

Its actually not in jest. If the 2 want to get it on, then so be it. If they beat each other to bloody pulps, I could care less. I didnt cause it, why should I intervene? Because Im a cop? Shouldnt their parents intervene instead? I told you before, Im an awful cop. If I was in uniform, Id be riding the pine or retired. Im an exceptional detective though, and when that goes south, Ill retire.

No matter how you word it though, our 2 pugilists getting tased is their own fault.

And no,I didnt lie. Im pretty sure I said I wouldnt have deployed a taser. Certainly never said I was worried about losing my job either, but whatever works for you.

Potentially lethal force? What the hell is that? I must have missed that class.

Aw, c'mon. Potentially lethal means many people have died after being tasered. You can split hairs over the fact that there's nothing in your arsenal with that label on it but tasers are nevertheless potentially lethal.

Its actually not in jest. If the 2 want to get it on, then so be it. If they beat each other to bloody pulps, I could care less. I didnt cause it, why should I intervene? Because Im a cop?

Yes, real hero you are. Glad you openly admit you could care less about protecting and serving. I mean, you shouldn't intervene because you should never be there in the first place, but yeah, if a fight is turning deadly I'd expect any non-coward to intervene.

Shouldnt their parents intervene instead?

Parents aren't usually following their kids around at school.

I told you before, Im an awful cop.

No doubt.

No matter how you word it though, our 2 pugilists getting tased is their own fault.

PSGWSP right? [rolleyes]

And no,I didnt lie. Im pretty sure I said I wouldnt have deployed a taser. Certainly never said I was worried about losing my job either, but whatever works for you.

It works. Whether you would or wouldn't isn't relevant. You were defending the guy who did (and without any attempt at anything else, not even saying "hey, stop fighting" no less). And you are defending it because exactly that. Oh, and also you said...

But, what most of you dont get, those days are over.

They want GPPs badge, head, and more!

So if those days are over, what would you do? If I had to guess, probably back peddle.

Aw, c'mon. Potentially lethal means many people have died after being tasered. You can split hairs over the fact that there's nothing in your arsenal with that label on it but tasers are nevertheless potentially lethal.

Many people have also died after falling down the stairs. Many have died while playing with guns. Driving cars. Masturbating. Swimming. Bicycling.

You know why the taser exists, right? It exists because both the police and the public felt there needed to be a better
option for "compliance" than beating the shit out of someone. If youd like to lead the charge towards getting rid of OC and tasers, Ill gladly jump on the train. Personally, I like fighting. I win some, Ive lost some, but it seems fair to me, if that makes sense.

Yes, real hero you are. Glad you openly admit you could care less about protecting and serving. I mean, you shouldn't intervene because you should never be there in the first place, but yeah, if a fight is turning deadly I'd expect any non-coward to intervene.

Parents aren't usually following their kids around at school.

No doubt.

PSGWSP right? [rolleyes]

It works. Whether you would or wouldn't isn't relevant. You were defending the guy who did (and without any attempt at anything else, not even saying "hey, stop fighting" no less). And you are defending it because exactly that. Oh, and also you said...

So if those days are over, what would you do? If I had to guess, probably back peddle.

Oh yeah, Id back peddle.

Dont you live in NH? Live Free or Die or something along those lines? Two people cant just duke it out anymore in your eyes? Even if they are 13 years old? Maybe you should move to CambrIdge ? Or keep neg repping me like a 5 year old, whatever lets you sleep at night dude.

Non cowards beware, Bones expects all of you to intervene in a fight if it appears to be turning deadly.

You know why the taser exists, right? It exists because both the police and the public felt there needed to be a better
option for "compliance" than beating the shit out of someone.

That's really not true. The taser was sold to the public as an alternative to lethal force, something a LEO could use instead of a firearm. The idea was that the LEO now had an option that was one step down from lethal force on the force continuum.

Of course, it hasn't really worked out that way as the taser is most commonly used as a compliance tool, as you say.

That's really not true. The taser was sold to the public as an alternative to lethal force, something a LEO could use instead of a firearm. The idea was that the LEO now had an option that was one step down from lethal force on the force continuum.

Of course, it hasn't really worked out that way as the taser is most commonly used as a compliance tool, as you say.

An alternative to lethal force? Well nooooooooooo shiiiiiiiiiiittttttt. I had no idea.

So, I guess I need to stipulate that the PDs and public wanted something they could use in between beating the shit out of people , or going right to blowing them away. Sorry, I should have known better.

It is a compliance tool, whether you like that terminology or not. Vetbal commands, open hand tactics, OC, these are compliance tools as well.

Take the tasers away, and we go back to.........nightsticks??? Is that preferable to a taser?

So, I guess I need to stipulate that the PDs and public wanted something they could use in between beating the shit out of people , or going right to blowing them away. Sorry, I should have known better.

Yup, something between the baton (night stick?) and the pistol.

Anyway, I'm sorry you get dumped on occasionally here as you're generally a voice of reason and I don't think you deserve it.

Yup, something between the baton (night stick?) and the pistol.

Anyway, I'm sorry you get dumped on occasionally here as you're generally a voice of reason and I don't think you deserve it.

Dont cry for me Argentina, Im a big boy and I accept big boy rules.

You dont want cops wielding night sticks (batons) , trust me here. The night stick should go the way of the Dodo. Could you imagine that video if the cop went in there swinging away? No thanks. Splitting heads open had its place, but that place is gone. Using OC and a taser? Sure, it looks like hell when deployed, but youre less apt to die from them than from having your head caved in by a night stick.

Why do people always say this? "I'd file charges!"? Is that how it works? Just anybody gets to file charges?

Actually, yes. Go down to the court, pay a $25 fee, and you can take out your own criminal complaint.

At least, that's the case down here south of the border.

Last edited:
Pull them apart by the scruff, the way it's always been. If that results in some sort of adverse action against the cop then there are bigger, different problems that need to be addressed in the system. Worry about fixing those instead of allowing this lazy, dangerous bullshit. This cop didn't even seem to make his presence known before going for the button/trigger.

Should have been hockey rules. Once they hit the ground break it up, if their standing enjoy the show. Part of the problem no one mentions is most teachers a pacifist wimps who freeze when there's violence.

And this worrying about the parents' reaction to laying hands on the kids is BS. These are the same cops who will drop their knee on the spine of somebody face down on the ground without thinking twice. There is zero chance of them being found at fault and paying the price for it if they break up a fight. And are we supposed to believe that these same parents are going to be cool with their kids getting tazed?

This is 100% a cop problem, not a parent problem.

It's still stupid, and any cop who can't break up a "couple of 13 year olds doing fisticuffs" shouldn't be a cop. This is the kind of shit that makes kids grow up and hate cops. So that meathead, even though it wasn't over the TOP egregious, just made his buddies jobs a little bit harder that day.

-Mike

I agree , but I think it's a catch 22 tho.

But of all the different out comes a little shock isn't so high on the jbt scale. I would ride the lighting vs mace any day of the week.

Granted it looks like the cop did nothing but run up and taser them . That's pretty lame.

Is the training to always move your hand toward your sidearm/taser the instant you think something could possibly happen? I'll never forget walking across a parking lot here in my quiet suburban town in broad daylight toward a cop directing parking for an event. He was young, and as soon as he saw we walking toward him he dropped his right leg back and put his hand on his holstered pistol like he was going to draw on me.

GPP, why is there a cop there in the first place to break this up?

I was in a few fights in grammar school and high school and no one broke anything up. We fought till there was a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom