Police link ATM robberies

GSG

http://www.telegram.com/article/20071126/NEWS/711260640&SearchID=73300666983562

Police link robberies at ATMs

By Danielle M. Williamson TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

Apparently unsatisfied with the amount of money he was able to steal from an ATM in Gardner yesterday afternoon, a young man targeted a Fitchburg ATM less than two hours later, police have theorized.

A 1:55 p.m. robbery at the GFA Federal Credit Union ATM on Pearson Boulevard in Gardner and a 3:45 p.m. robbery of the ATM at TD Banknorth on Boulder Drive in Fitchburg appear to be connected, police said.

In both cases, the man approached a woman using the drive-up ATM.

In Gardner, according to Lt. Gerald J. Poirier, the man grabbed $40 from the woman’s hand as she took her cash from the dispensing slot. In Fitchburg, the man stole $300 from a woman’s hand as she collected the money from the ATM, police said.

The victims provided a similar description of the robber: a thin white man, between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 9 inches tall, who wore a blue jacket or hooded sweatshirt and a black stocking hat.

Informed by his decades of experience as a police officer, Lt. Poirier, who serves as commander of the North Worcester County Drug Task Force, said the man’s two robberies within hours of each other indicate he is supporting a drug addiction. The $40 stolen in Gardner was likely not enough to fund his habit, so he had to find more money, Lt. Poirier believes.

“A popular belief out there is that criminals make a living out of stealing,” Lt. Poirier said. “They’re not. They’re stealing to maintain a drug or substance abuse addiction. The $40 this young man got in Gardner was not enough to satisfy his addiction.”

The man crept up behind a woman as she was in her car taking money from the GFA Federal Credit Union machine, Lt. Poirier said.

He snatched the cash from her hand and ran.

Lt. Poirier, a strong advocate of “crime prevention through environmental design,” believes such incidents can be avoided with better site planning, including good video surveillance, minimizing the amount of shrubbery and not having a lot of places for criminals to hide.

“The bank’s video camera was focused on the customer, not the perpetrator,” Lt. Poirier said. “I’m calling on all banks to install surveillance cameras that take a wider view.”

The victim of the Gardner robbery told police she saw a silver sport utility vehicle in the parking lot when she pulled in to the bank, and noted that after she was robbed, the SUV was gone. Police do not know if the vehicle is connected to the robbery, and believe the man was hiding behind bushes while the woman drove up to the ATM.

Sgt. Glenn C. Fossa, spokesman for Fitchburg police, confirmed that his department was also investigating a connection between the two robberies.

Sgt. Fossa said a 54-year-old Fitchburg woman had taken $300 from the drive-up ATM at TD Banknorth when a man grabbed the cash from her hand. She had noticed him lurking in the parking lot before the robbery, police said.

Lt. Poirier offered a couple of tips for ATM users to protect themselves from such crime.

“Never approach an ATM if there’s a suspicious person in the area, and be aware of your surroundings,” he said.

Just a reminder to pay attention when you're at an ATM.

I hate using ATMs because of this. I avoid using the non-drive up ones outside if at all possible. Being in my truck gives me a better view of my surroundings, gives me some amount of cover, and gives me ready access to 300 lb-ft of torque and 5500 lbs to run someone over with and escape.

I hate using ATMs because of this. I avoid using the non-drive up ones outside if at all possible. Being in my truck gives me a better view of my surroundings, gives me some amount of cover, and gives me ready access to 300 lb-ft of torque and 5500 lbs to run someone over with and escape.
Yup. I suspect a truck has a much better "one-shot-stop" record than any pistol...

Lt. Poirier, a strong advocate of “crime prevention through environmental design,” believes such incidents can be avoided with better site planning, including good video surveillance, minimizing the amount of shrubbery and not having a lot of places for criminals to hide.

Limit shrubbery? I think these people might have something to say about that..

Knightni.jpg

Too obscure?

It's knights, which is it's also pronounced "K-nigits". Now go away before I taunt you again.

Ken
Doh! I do actually know the difference between nights and knights. And what you meant is "go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Isn't this the same dickhead quoted as saying the .gov ought to have "crime prevention standards" or some such other stupidity in the thread about convenience store robberies? [rolleyes]

ETA: He IS!!! WTF?!? [angry]
Lt. Poirier believes that since fire-suppression systems at gas stations are required by law, government should also impose crime prevention standards.

“If the government can shut down a station for failing fire inspections, why can’t they demand overall inspections for other hazards?” he asked

Last edited by a moderator:
Informed by his decades of experience as a police officer, Lt. Poirier, who serves as commander of the North Worcester County Drug Task Force, said the man’s two robberies within hours of each other indicate he is supporting a drug addiction. The $40 stolen in Gardner was likely not enough to fund his habit, so he had to find more money, Lt. Poirier believes.

His decades of experience as a cop make him believe the perp might be a junkie?

That's some fine police work, Lou.

[thinking]

[Lt. Poirier, a strong advocate of “crime prevention through environmental design,” believes such incidents can be avoided with better site planning, including good video surveillance, minimizing the amount of shrubbery and not having a lot of places for criminals to hide.

“The bank’s video camera was focused on the customer, not the perpetrator,” Lt. Poirier said. “I’m calling on all banks to install surveillance cameras that take a wider view.”
Because we all know that criminals fear having their picture taken much more than getting ventilated by their victims, and it's much better to arrest someone AFTER the crime than to stop the crime while it's being committed. [rolleyes]
I hate using ATMs because of this. I avoid using the non-drive up ones outside if at all possible.
I'm not too fond of the lighted goldfish bowls that are the stand-alone outdoor ones, either. I can just feel myself getting paranoid as I'm at one of those darn things - I spend a lot of time looking over my shoulders while I'm there. [thinking]
Doh! I do actually know the difference between nights and knights.
Once a king, always a king... but once a night is never enough.

I never use those out-of-the-way bank kiosks at night. They're usually in shady spots, and I don't trust them. Most bank ATMs are horribly located, along the side or the back of the building facing away from the street. I only use indoor gas station/convenience store ATM's at night.

it's much better to arrest someone AFTER the crime than to stop the crime while it's being committed. [rolleyes]

Welcome to the U.K.

You would think this stuff is kind of common sense at this point. Money + Dark places + Low traffic = Awesome Vicitm.

For myself, if I use a walk up I eye everything around me before I go in, and I enter with the one card I need already in hand, no wallet fumbling.

I also place myself in front of the ATM like it was a urinial so you cant see if I just checked my balance or took money out as the card and wrapped cash got right into my pocket.

I hate the drive up ATMs though to be honest, I just feel like a sitting duck. I do leave the car in drive though with my foot on the brake.

Back
Top Bottom