Police, gun owners say state firearm laws are tough enough

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/n...wners-say-state-firearm-laws-are-tough-enough

MA only ranked as third toughest gun laws in the Nation....

By Laura Krantz/Daily News correspondent
MetroWest Daily News
Posted Feb 19, 2010 @ 12:33 AM
A new report lists Massachusetts as having the third most strict gun laws in the nation, behind California and New Jersey.

But while the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, a national gun control organization that issued the report, commends the state's strict laws, they want even tighter regulations, to close the gun-show loophole and keep closer tabs on lost or stolen guns.

Some MetroWest police commanders say stricter state laws are the wrong approach to curbing gun violence.

"Our gun laws are strict enough as it is," said Waltham Police Lt. Joseph Brooks.

To obtain a handgun in Massachusetts, a person must complete a gun-safety course, fill out an application, pay a $100 fee and have a license application approved by the police.

Most gun violence, said Brooks, results from people who bring guns into Massachusetts from states with looser laws or who steal them from licensed owners.

He said illegally obtained guns are involved in violent crimes roughly 10 times more often than licensed guns.

"The licensed gun owners are not the ones getting into trouble," Brooks said.

The Brady Campaign's report uses five categories to score states: how well they curb firearm trafficking, whether they perform background checks, how effectively they keep guns from children, whether they ban military-style weapons and how they regulate guns in public places.

Massachusetts scored 54 out of 100 points. No. 1-ranked California scored 79. Utah scored zero.

"We're always supportive of what (Massachusetts) has been doing," said Peter Hamm, communications director for the Brady Campaign, which is named after Jim Brady, President Ronald Reagan's press secretary who was severely wounded in a failed assassination attempt on Reagan.

Hamm encouraged Massachusetts to require background checks at gun shows, prohibit the purchase of multiple guns at once and require gun owners to report a lost or stolen weapon.

"Unfortunately Massachusetts suffers gun violence because of weak gun laws in other states," said Hamm.

To solve this problem, John Rosenthal, founder of Stop Handgun Violence, a Massachusetts gun-control advocacy group, suggests Congress pass federal laws to make controls uniform in all 50 states.

"Massachusetts is a model. Eventually Congress will wake up and replicate our successful gun laws," said Rosenthal, a Massachusetts resident who owns two shotguns for skeet shooting.

But others think the state's laws are tough enough.

Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners Action League, called them the worst in the nation.

"The Massachusetts gun laws have been a complete failure in every respect," said Wallace, who said they are too complicated and do not effectively prohibit terrorists and criminals from obtaining guns.

Wallace also said he opposes mandatory licenses for gun ownership.

"They treat lawful citizens like criminals," said Wallace, who said it would be better to keep a list of who can't have a gun, rather than a list of those who can.

Under Massachusetts law, anyone convicted of a violent crime punishable by up to two years in prison, including drunken driving, can never be issued a gun license.

Every time I see that snake Rosenthal being quoted on anything gun related I want to scream. If this a$$hole wasn`t rich he`d just be another anti-gun moonbat. I can`t believe he owns all that land around Fenway.

"Most gun violence, said Brooks, results from people who bring guns into Massachusetts from states with looser laws "

""Unfortunately Massachusetts suffers gun violence because of weak gun laws in other states," said Hamm.

I'd really like to see where they get this information. Every state does the Federal check.

Any state the "Brady Campaign" Likes I will never move to.

Agreed. Rosenthal is definitely a snake of the venomous variety. He also doesn't realize that when laws get tougher and bans are put in place, it will only be a matter of time before the liberals call for a ban on the private possession of all firearms (Rosenthal's two skeet shotguns included). He only has to look to the UK and Australia examples to see what can happen.

aww man..you guys beat us here in CT..we were tied for 3rd last time i checked..now we are in 4th!!...I fail to see how firearms laws in NY are "looser" then CT...I would much rather be here then there..

How do you "keep tabs on lost or stolen guns" ?????

Once again.......a gun incident in the news(Manchester by the Sea) generates another ANTI GUN/ANTI RIGHTS knee jerk article. Its like F'ing clockwork!!

Thank You Lt. Brooks of Waltham PD for telling it like it is.

If this state keeps pushing, eventually there will be NO compliance and people will tell the state to go fluck themselves, just like the criminals do.

I hope Rosenthals isn't a member at any local club. I wouldn't want to belong to the same club as that guy.

I thought GOAL's Jim had some great comments, very logical. The LEOs in the article also deserve some praise for basically calling the approach to more "gun control" as ineffective in fighting crime.

There is a rumor that he is a member of a club on the North Shore. I can tell you that he isn't a member of our club, and that if he did try to join his application would be unwelcome.

There is a rumor that he is a member of a club on the North Shore. I can tell you that he isn't a member of our club, and that if he did try to join his application would be unwelcome.
If he is so rich, he probably bribed the club's executive board to approve his membership. I am glad that he does not belong to my club. I would not want to associate with him in any way. He is a traitor to our cause and should be treated as such.

I hope Rosenthals isn't a member at any local club. I wouldn't want to belong to the same club as that guy.

He is (or was), a member at Ipswich Fish & Game Association...

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/02/05/straight_shooter

Why they allowed him to join and/or use the facility as a propaganda back drop for the purpose of that article is anyones guess.

It's pretty clear to me that his involvement in any shooting activity is only a smoke screen to avoid being cast as a hardcore, gun grabbing brown shirt.

Edit to add...

what's really laughable about that article is that he claims he broke his ties with the Bradys because they were to "extreme"...

Asked in 1998 to join the board of the Brady Center for Handgun Violence, the country's most prominent gun control organization, Rosenthal accepted. But he says he was frustrated by what he considers to be the center's extreme views - such as its support for a Washington, D.C., law that criminalized gun possession in that city. "They really want to ban all guns," says Rosenthal, who left the board in 2004.

Last edited:
Well, he is rich and connected, so Rosenthal wouldn't be effected by any gun control laws. It's just like the Obamacare thing not applying to the feds or Chicago senators being a "protected class" under their dirtbag ban of guns. They love trampling on the rights of others, as long as they have a way to do what they want.

California gets Brady highest score. Utah gets a zero.

# total homicides in 2006

California: 2485
Utah: 46

# firearm related homicides in 2006

California: 2392
Utah: 46

Rate (per 100,000 population) of firearm homicide

California: 3.7
Utah: 3.6

So, exactly how much is Commifornia spending to come up with a slightly higher percentage firearm related homicides than the more lax Utah? And were those other 93 homicides in California because the person could not get a gun? Isn't dead the same regardless of the method?

If in fact gun laws worked, you would see the anti-gun groups holding such policies as shining examples. That they can't after centuries of such policies have been employed all over the world in various ways can only result in ONE conclusion. Any and all effort to 'control' guns is a complete WASTE of effort and resources.

Well, he is rich and connected, so Rosenthal wouldn't be effected by any gun control laws.

I don't think he even cares, really. IMHO if he is really a gun owner, he is only doing it to advance the facade of legitimacy for his organization. If he really cared at all about owning guns (and being able to maintain that ability) he would not possibly support half the crap he talks about. Just watch some of the interviews with him and it is readily apparent that he is a real hardcore anti, due to the lies he has to use to get his point across.

Part of the deal is that gun control ideas cannot stand on their own without hyperbole and lies. They fail the "is this worth doing" test. Even those that believe in some of the BS restrictions we have now, when pressed, will admit that they are nothing more than feel good measures. eg- we have background checks because it "feels" like the right thing to do... [rolleyes]

-Mike

Last edited:
I don't think he even cares, really. IMHO if he is really a gun owner, he is only doing it to advance the facade of legitimacy for his organization. If he really cared at all about owning
guns (and being able to maintain that ability) he would not possibly support half the crap he talks about.

-Mike
The rich and politically-connected can get the credentials needed to continue to possess firearms long after the rest of us are banned from doing so. The woman who wrote the Morton Grove, IL handgun ban 30 years ago wanted to keep her gun. She used her influence to become a Court Officer. With her LE badge and ID, she became exempt from the law. When I was in college years ago, I worked in a restaurant part-time. My boss was not only the co-owner of the restaurant, but also the General Manager of a well-known North Shore hotel and a sworn Essex County Deputy Sheriff. Another case of political influence with benefits.

The rich and politically-connected can get the credentials needed to continue to possess firearms long after the rest of us are banned from doing so.

I'm well aware of that, but I don't think rosenthal shoots guns on a regular basis. That's how much of a fraud I think he is. IIRC he was a "victim of gun violence" or some rubbish like that, and he uses his gun owner facade to cover that up.

-Mike

Krantz said:
He said illegally obtained guns are involved in violent crimes roughly 10 times more often than licensed guns.

Gee, when questioned at the statehouse by Senator Brewer, the Boston Police Commissioner said it was far lower than this... He could not give a number, but indicated it was much less than 10%...

So I'm looking at their scorecard for MA and I noticed that under the Large Capacity Magazine Ban section, MA gets 5 points for banning mags over 10 rounds but LOSES 3 points for not banning mags over 15 rounds? Are they really this dumb?

Most gun violence, said Brooks, results from people who bring guns into Massachusetts from states with looser laws or who steal them from licensed owners.

Strange, I thought most gun violence resulted from people deciding to be violent? I learn something new every day.

So I'm looking at their scorecard for MA and I noticed that under the Large Capacity Magazine Ban section, MA gets 5 points for banning mags over 10 rounds but LOSES 3 points for not banning mags over 15 rounds? Are they really this dumb?

Just playing games with OUR RIGHTS!!!

BTW, anybody who goes to red sox games or who park in the area. PLEASE do not park in the lot on Lansdowne st. John Rosenthal owns the lot, it might be obvious since his billboard is on the side of the parking lot. Besides, he charges outrageous prices anyways to park. Sorry, if anybody has posted this, but I am trying to put the word out on this jerk.

Back
Top Bottom