• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police Academy Instructor Shoots Self During Gun Demonstration

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/cri...ots-self-during-gun-demonstration-645223.html

LIBERTY TWP. — A police academy instructor accidentally shot himself Friday night, April 9, during a gun demonstration in front of police recruits.

Robert J. Stewart, 55, was demonstrating the use of a 9mm Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol at about 7:51 p.m. at the firing range when he shot himself in the upper right thigh in front of 24 recruits and several instructors at Butler Tech’s Public Safety Education Center, said Butler County Sheriff’s Sgt. Chuck Laymon.

Stewart, of Bethel, was transported by a Liberty Twp. life squad to Atrium Medical Center in Middletown, where he was treated and released late Friday night.

“He seems to be in good spirits, but he’s just a little embarrassed,” Laymon said. “People ask how these things happen, but this goes to show you that if you get complacent or get in a hurry accidents can happen.”

Stewart is a retired law enforcement officer who works as an adjunct instructor at Butler Tech.

Laymon said none of the students in the class was injured, but some were “disturbed by the whole thing.”

The police recruits Stewart was teaching provided witness statements to deputies and then resumed taking the four-hour class that ended at 10 p.m., Laymon said.

The shooting incident remains under investigation, according to the sheriff’s office.

The public safety complex, located near the corner of Ohio 4 and Ohio 747, is home to Butler Technology and Career Development Schools’ police adademy and indoor firing range, as well as its firefighter and emergency medical education programs. The center opened in June 2004.

For once it wasn't a Glock.

Is this a case of "unsuitable to carry"?

Let's see

1) insure that the firearm is unloaded - FAIL
2) keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction - FAIL

He's unsuitable to carry. Revoke his license for life.

In other news, a culinary instructor accidentally cut a finger with a knife in the kitchen. The horror!

Like they say, #$&% happens.

And knives cut when you touch the sharp edge. Hammers hit fingers when you have your finger where you're swinging the hammer. Firearms discharge when the trigger is pulled.

They don't 'accidentally' discharge. Sure, it's an accident, inasmuch as it wasn't planned for, but there are still NO accidental discharges. Only negligent discharges. A modern firearm WILL NOT fire without the trigger being actuated.

Chef cuts hand
Construction worker hits finger with hammer
Taxi driver gets into fender bender
That and you don't see much focus on:
"Radio personality incites genocide" (Rwanda)

more examples in Russia, Germany, etc...

Shot in thigh - sounds like holster issue. Do be careful folks...

see, those things do go off by themselves[wink]
Rather this is a rule that is often excluded form instruction - keep everything off the trigger including your pants, the corner of the holster, pencils, etc... until you are ready to fire...

Another disservice we do ourselves with our anti-gun culture even amongst the gun folks (lack of practice drawing and shooting from a holster as a function of range restrictions).

Rather this is a rule that is often excluded form instruction - keep everything off the trigger including your pants, the corner of the holster, pencils, etc... until you are ready to fire...

That's a thoughtful point. -not only fingers can make it go bang.

My first thought when reading this article was 'huh, even folks with lots of experience can have an accident".

a Glock clone.

LP_Drummer_smiley_by_Hp1.gif

Is this a case of "unsuitable to carry"?

Let's see

1) insure that the firearm is unloaded - FAIL
2) keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction - FAIL

"Unsuitable" is not a word that exists in Ohio's legal dictionary regarding firearms.

This is where we all roll our eyes at the idea that only "experts" like police and military are qualified to safely carry firearms.

And this is where the banners will jump up and point and say, "See? Even the experts have terrible accidents, we can't possibly allow guns in the hands of people with less training!"

...and an outstanding firearm. striker fired, safe action trigger system pistols are where it's at. glocks, s&w, springfield armory... the only thing that kills me about the SA XD series is the grip safety they built into it.
On the other hand, the grip angle is close to right, unlike the Glock.

I've shot both, owned neither. My daughter-in-law is asking my input on a pistol for her hubby's birthday, and I'm leaning towards the XD. He's a .45 fan and a southpaw, so I think the striker-fired system with grip safety will suit him fine with no alterations.

i wonder what the first thing is that goes through your mind when you ND into your own leg.

is it "ow," or is it "oh crap, what will josh sugarmann write on his blog about this"

i wonder what the first thing is that goes through your mind when you ND into your own leg.

is it "ow," or is it "oh crap, what will josh sugarmann write on his blog about this"
1. OW
2. Check the jewels - ok, all there
3. Oh crap, what will josh sugarmann/huffington post, et al. write about this
OR
3a. I am never going to live this down on NES... [laugh]

[thinking]. Please tell me you're joking.

And knives cut when you touch the sharp edge. Hammers hit fingers when you have your finger where you're swinging the hammer. Firearms discharge when the trigger is pulled.

Exactly.

They don't 'accidentally' discharge. Sure, it's an accident, inasmuch as it wasn't planned for, but there are still NO accidental discharges. Only negligent discharges. A modern firearm WILL NOT fire without the trigger being actuated.

Some do, if there's a serious mechanical malfunction, which is why muzzle discipline & other firearms safety skills are just as important as not pulling the trigger yourself.

"Unsuitable" is not a word that exists in Ohio's legal dictionary regarding firearms.

Thank God.

For this guy it was:

I was afraid that I'd pass out before help arrived and would bleed to death.

(Don't click the link if you don't want to see graphic pictures of gunshot wounds).

Back
Top Bottom