• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plinking within 30 minutes of rte 95/90

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I live in Newton, and belong to the MRA club in Woburn (it's near my wife's office), but I would like to find someplace that I can do some plinking outside with a .22 with my daughter.

Does anyone know of any clubs or ranges within 20-30 minutes of Newton which have a plinking range?

Check the list of clubs on the GOAL website. It's not intended to be complete, but you might find something there. Also, those that aren't on the GOAL site generally don't support gun owners rights (not affiliated with GOAL)!!

An actual firearm owner in Newton. Surely it can't be. I'm shocked that the liberal establishment in the PRN allows you to continue breathing the air in the Garden City. I used to teach at Newton North. You can imagine my social and political viewpoints occassionally clashed with the school administration...
When you say plinking, are you talking about setting up some soda cans and other simple targets or shooting at some paper targets? Most clubs frown on the traditional plinking targets. If you find a spot, please let me know. I'd like to do some of that shooting with my son.

Regards,
Chris

ChristosX said:
An actual firearm owner in Newton. Surely it can't be. I'm shocked that the liberal establishment in the PRN allows you to continue breathing the air in the Garden City. I used to teach at Newton North. You can imagine my social and political viewpoints occassionally clashed with the school administration...
When you say plinking, are you talking about setting up some soda cans and other simple targets or shooting at some paper targets? Most clubs frown on the traditional plinking targets. If you find a spot, please let me know. I'd like to do some of that shooting with my son.

Regards,
Chris

Yes I want to shoot at plastic bottles, balloons, or some sort of reactive target (at a safe distance with proper ammo of course)

If you didn't already find the listings near you, consider the clubs in these towns though they may still be too far depending on actual locations.

Look at Hopkinton, Southboro, Holliston, and Westford.

Dana

I second the suggestion for the Wayland range. Nice place, quiet, and inexpensive. 20 mins away from most of Newton.

ChristosX said:
An actual firearm owner in Newton. Surely it can't be.
Believe it or not, I'm another one in PRN. To my big surprise, they do issue some LTCs, although with restrictions. I don't know if hminsky is the lucky owner of ALP, by mine is restricted.

JackO said:
Believe it or not, I'm another one in PRN. To my big surprise, they do issue some LTCs, although with restrictions. I don't know if hminsky is the lucky owner of ALP, by mine is restricted.

I have LTC-A restricted to target shooting.

If I had only come across this bulletin board before I applied for an LTC, and read some of the advice about the application process, I feel like I would have done better. Oh well.

My instructor told me to apply for the ALP, and I did so but I didn't have any"ammunition" so to speak to increase my chances of getting what I asked for.

Ed,

Westwood club is still there. John Payton is the Governor of that club this year and I was talking with John at the BR&P swap meet on Sunday.

Here's their info from GOAL's website:
Westwood Gun Club, Inc.

P.O. Box 109
Medfield, MA 02052
508-359-2159
Facilities: Pistol to 50 yards,Rifle to 200 yards, Sporting Clays Range, Archery Range, Covered Firing Line

Activities: Various Club matches during the year.
Training: There are a couple of certified instructors who are club members.
Membership: Citizens of the USA 18 years or older. Dues- $120 year, initiation fee of $100 in the first year, Key fee of $10 per year, work party duty to avoid assessment.
Meetings: First Wednesday of the month 8pm at the clubhouse.

JackO said:

Wow, make that three from Newton. Got an LTC A limited to target/sport/hunting. I actually didn't have a problem getting the (restricted) LTC A, fancy that. The Newton application limits unrestricted carry to three narrowly defined groups of individuals. [frown]

I have a membership at Boston Gun & Rifle Association in Dorchester. On a Saturday or Sunday, it's about 30 minutes from Newton (hop on 90, then on 93 South). I work in the Longwood medical area, so on some nights that I get off earlier, I head over to BGRA with a co-worker. Nevertheless, I appreciate the contributors to this thread, as I am keeping an eye open for clubs and ranges within the same radius as hminsky is searching.

Is Singletary (Sutton) 30 minutes from Newton?

There MUST be others just off the MA pike as well.

I live in Newton as well..My dad will be going to his basic firearm safety class on Saturday, and he and I will be heading down to city hall (me for an FID, him for his LTC-A). How did the process go for you guys?

Kalahari said:
I live in Newton as well..My dad will be going to his basic firearm safety class on Saturday, and he and I will be heading down to city hall (me for an FID, him for his LTC-A). How did the process go for you guys?

It took a of couple of weeks I think for the application to be processed. I can't remember now, but it was pretty quick.

I applied for LTC -A All Lawful Purposes, but my license was restricted to target shooting.

The detective who interviewed me asked if I was going to do hunting, and I said I didn't plan on it. So if asked I would recommend you say you are going to hunt,even if you don't plan on it now, just in case you want to, so they add that to the list of "restricted to" things.

I second the suggestion for the Wayland range. Nice place, quiet, and inexpensive. 20 mins away from most of Newton.
Thank you for the kind words. We may well be the closest range to Newton (particularly for folks in the western end of Newton).

That said, we don't allow plinking without permission from the range committee. If you've got some reactive targets that you want to shoot, you need to get prior permission from the committee AND you have to clean up after yourself.

We had a goofball who shot at plastic water bottles that he set up on top of the wood that retains our sand backstop. He missed low a lot (chewed the heck out of the wood) and then he left the bottles lying around. And he may well get his behind tossed out because of that and other behavior...

hminsky said:
Yes I want to shoot at plastic bottles, balloons, or some sort of reactive target (at a safe distance with proper ammo of course)

Many places frown on this because they fear the litter problem.

An idea I read about many years ago in one of the gun rags was to shoot at animal crackers. The bits and pieces left over are "environmentally friendly", and the local critters will quickly clean up after you leave, and appreciate the treats you left.

Whatever you do, don't shoot at gingerbread men. The local gendarmes will haul your ass off to durance vile, and your child will be placed in a state run home for dangerous delinquents . . .

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Many places frown on this because they fear the litter problem.

An idea I read about many years ago in one of the gun rags was to shoot at animal crackers. The bits and pieces left over are "environmentally friendly", and the local critters will quickly clean up after you leave, and appreciate the treats you left.

Whatever you do, don't shoot at gingerbread men. The local gendarmes will haul your ass off to durance vile, and your child will be placed in a state run home for dangerous delinquents . . .

Regards
John

I had some targets printed out on paper for my daughter to shoot (she's eight). She didn't want to shoot any of the animals, because she likes animals. So she asked me to print out a shark because she doesn't like them.

I ordered a self-resetting metal target
http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/st...GALLERY+RESETTING+TARGET~productID~300097.htm
which I hope will be acceptable to shoot at any outdoor range. They wouldn't make any mess. The question would be about ricochets, what would be the minimum safe distance to shoot these from.

It's probably outside your drive time, but Riverside in Hudson does allow you to shoot at plastic bottles and clay pigeons on the outdoor ranges. No glass, no cans. Just through out the bottles when you leave (unless someone else is making them dance, of course!).

Just blew up a bunch of junk in a Sandpit in Standish Maine [laugh]

It was about 30 mins from the Maine Mall Exit in South Portland!

Yer gonna need 4X4 to get through the logging road!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd Beard said:
Just blew up a bunch of junk in a Sandpit in Standish Maine [laugh]

It was about 30 mins from the Maine Mall Exit in South Portland!

Yer gonna need 4X4 to get through the logging road!

I got a Subaru; think that'll make it? It's been places where folks swear that you need a 4x4 to get to before!

dwarven1 said:
I got a Subaru; think that'll make it? It's been places where folks swear that you need a 4x4 to get to before!

One road going in wasn't too bad goin in, so that one yeah (even more if we have a dry few months) But the road we came in on we almost got stuck in my Ranger, and somebody mired thier S-10.

Of course good driving can make up for a lot [smile]

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd Beard said:
One road going in wasn't too bad goin in, so that one yeah (even more if we have a dry few months) But the road we came in on we almost got stuck in my Ranger, and somebody mired thier S-10.

Of course good driving can make up for a lot [smile]

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

One trick I wondered if it would work is in the season like it is now when it still gets below freezing at night, if you wait until very early morning to drive out, you would go over frozen mud instead of liquid?

Yes that works. Works well in VT around Thanksgiving time as well. I know that from experience. Went Goose hunting on Thanksgiving morning. Got stuck. The wife wasn't humoured over being late for Thanksgiving Dinner, even if my oldest was with me.

Hah, that Standish pit is only 6 miles from my house! :D It's my local shootin' pit.

Dwarven, It depends on the subaru. An outback, old brat, Baja, Tribeca, or forester might make it, but a legacy, wrx/sti I wouldn't try it unless you have front and rear skidplates. The washouts are bad in spots.

I go in there with a 4x4 mazda truck (ford ranger).

jamz said:
Hah, that Standish pit is only 6 miles from my house! :D It's my local shootin' pit.

Dwarven, It depends on the subaru. An outback, old brat, Baja, Tribeca, or forester might make it, but a legacy, wrx/sti I wouldn't try it unless you have front and rear skidplates. The washouts are bad in spots.

I go in there with a 4x4 mazda truck (ford ranger).
My wife and I shoot in pits in Berwick and Shapleigh,Maine. Alot of times we're the only ones there.[smile]

Bore.224 said:
Braintree Rifle and pistol club has a range.www.brp.org

BR&P has many ranges. However it's only a 30 minute trip from I-95/I-90 intersection on "off hours" as it will easily take an hour or so during rush hour (probably more on Thursday/Friday evening during "escape to the Cape" months).

Back
Top Bottom