DSA M4 flat top upper
WOA 18" SPR barrel
Rainier Arms low profile NM gas block
Rifle length gas tube
JP XL free float hand guard
Young Mfg. chrome BCG
BCE BattleComp 1.0 matte stainless
LMT charging handle

Big thanks to the guys at Zero Hour Arms, assembled the upper and pinned the brake for me, quick turn around and a great price!

Daniel Defense LPK came in today, installed it tonight myself, not as bad as I was expecting.

I noticed there's no caliber marking on the lower, what do I put on the FA-10, "Multi"? Do I need to have it engraved or anything??

7a3008c1.jpg

Emailed GOAL and one of their reps suggested I contact S&W.

Called S&W and explained there's no caliber designation on the receiver, he told me they don't mark the stripped lowers as they don't know what caliber upper will be used. I asked what to put on the FA-10 and he said to go by the barrel.

I asked him if I needed to get the receiver engraved with the caliber designation and he said it wasn't necessary, but the GOAL rep said his BATF Compliance inspector told him it was necessary...

So I am still just as confused, haha

Do I need to get it engraved? Would I put "multi" since it's a Wylde chamber for .223/5.56mm?

I will start by saying I don't know the right answer to this, but I can't believe that you have to get in engraved for the caliber. I have 2 lowers sitting in my safe that say "cal multi", what is the difference between them and an unlabeled lower?

I will start by saying I don't know the right answer to this, but I can't believe that you have to get in engraved for the caliber. I have 2 lowers sitting in my safe that say "cal multi", what is the difference between them and an unlabeled lower?

Yea, I would agree with you, my only cause for concern is that the lower is what's considered the firearm for legal purposes (or so I have read) and would think that's what has to say the caliber.

On the other hand, based on my limited reading, I am thinking it's only the class III/NFA stuff that has to be engraved?

Just want to make sure all my i's are dotted and t's crossed.

I was able to get out to the range this morning to test fire the rifle. I had picked up a box of Ultramax 55 grain FMJ "re-manufactured" ammo the night before. I want to get setup to reload real soon.

I brought along two pre-ban 20 round magazines, I'd like to pick up at least 4 more, (made in England according to the small stickers on the mags), a Caldwell Rock Jr. bench rest which is a bit too low for the bench/table height at Barnstable, and had mounted a Sightron SII 3-9x42mm scope, seen in the pic below.

I loaded up 20 of the Ultramax cartridges and settled in on the rest. Fired a few shots at the target set at 100 yards but wasn't able to locate any bullet holes on the target. The batteries were dead in my bore sighter, so I popped the take down pin and pulled out the BCG and charging handle, looked down the bore and then through the scope, trying to line up the 2 on the target. Fired a few more rounds, had a Failure to Feed. Dropped the mag and gave the charging handle a good rip, out popped the offending cartridge with a slightly rolled over case mouth, and scratches on the bullet; getting caught up on the feed ramps or mag maybe? I set the cartridge back into the magazine, re-inserted the mag and closed the bolt. It went right into battery so I pulled the trigger and it went off without issue.

Still wasn't able to read any hits on the target, so I moved over to a target on the 50 yard line. Here I was able to see a group of 3 rounds on the bottom of the paper target, about an inch left of the bullseye. I cranked up the elevation knob and dialed a little bit of right on the windage and was punching pretty good groups shortly thereafter.

I tried shooting off hand, just for the hell of it, the rifle definitely has some HEFT to it.[laugh] The BattleComp (and I'm sure weight of the rifle) helped keep the muzzle climb to a minimum, especially compared to my Father's Bushmaster 16", and the extra barrel length made my rifle noticeably quieter. Shooting next to me, he said the BattleComp throws less of a concussion vs. the Bulgarian style brake on his Bushy. The 3-9x42mm Sightron is nice, but not well suited to quick off-hand shooting, as I had expected, but serves nicely shooting in a static position.

Overall I'm very, very happy with this rifle. I definitely want to get some more pre-ban mags, and will probably replace the spring/follower in the English mags I have. Also, definitely want to get a 1-4x scope or a fixed 1x red dot, as the Sightron isn't a great fit. Lastly, I need to get setup to reload .223, don't want to pay $65 for 150 count of Ultramax reloads.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and input helping me get it all together! [cheers]

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, as it sits, I've got $1372.06 into it for parts, shipping costs, and upper assembly & brake pinning by the guys at Zero Hour Arms. Probably could have saved a little on the lower as I ordered online and had to pay a transfer fee, oh well!

Back
Top Bottom