Planning out an 18 or 20 inch AR build

I got the Young standard chrome BCG. I wanted a chrome bolt just to make cleaning easier (and because it's shiny) so I just ordered the whole chrome BCG. I can't say how well it works or not because I still haven't finished the thing. It looks great though.

I'm just about ready to order a JP XL hand guard and BattleComp, so the next thing I'm looking for is optics.

Thinking about the Millet 1-4x DMS, but open to suggestions on something with low magnification, perhaps up to 6x? Primarily shooting at 100 and 200 yard ranges, but would like to be able to stretch out to 600 on occasion.

Optics planet has the Millet 1-4x for $212.

I'm just about ready to order a JP XL hand guard and BattleComp, so the next thing I'm looking for is optics.

Thinking about the Millet 1-4x DMS, but open to suggestions on something with low magnification, perhaps up to 6x? Primarily shooting at 100 and 200 yard ranges, but would like to be able to stretch out to 600 on occasion.

For an AR like that, I think you'd want more magnification and better glass than that. This would be excellent: http://www.samplelist.com/IOR-25-10x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P1824.aspx

If you want to go cheap, this is probably a good bet: http://www.samplelist.com/Nikon-2-8x32-M223-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P2339.aspx

That depends on what the use of the rifle is. My last build was geared towards USPSA/3gun use, it is very similar to meth0d's, and I run a 1-4x Burris XTR. If you are going from point blank to 200 yards, a 1x capable scope is important.

Yea, definitely going for a 3 gun/USPSA type build.

The majority of my shooting would be 25 to 200 yards, that's why I was leaning towards a 1-4x. I'd like to be able to stretch it to 600 yards, and I think the WOA barrel will be capable of that kind of range, which is why I was considering something higher than 4x, but for 99% of the time, I think the 1-4x will suffice.

I will check out the Burris XTR and see if I can find a deal on one of the Trijicon AccuPoints. Thanks for the input guys!

1-4x sounds like what you want. If you have the cash, I would go for something other than the Millet. They're great for the money, but there's a lot better out there.

ETA: Check out the Leupold Mk8 CQBSS [smile]

What would you recommend? I could probably swing a Trijicon AccuPoint, if I wait a little longer.

[rofl]

If I were going to buy a 1-4 scope, it'd be an AccuPoint 30mm, amber triangle. In that same price range, SuperSniper, Leupold and Burris have some nice scopes too.

I would get a true 1x over the 1.25. Even if you double up on batteries neither the Millet or Burris XTR are bright enough to really make a difference. After shooting with a Millet and XTR, I would recommend the trijicon.
Trijicon needs to make an accupoint with a BDC, that would be the ultimate 3 gun scope

Last edited:
I would get a true 1x over the 1.25. Even if you double up on batteries neither the Millet or Burris XTR are bright enough to really make a difference. After shooting with a Millet and XTR, I would recommend the trijicon.
Trijicon needs to make an accupoint with a BDC, that would be the ultimate 3 gun scope

That would be and awesome optic.

If you're planning on action matches, without traveling out west, the Burris TAC 30 is worth a look. The TAC 30 has brighter illumination.
For longer distances the XTR will do it. Both are 1-4x.

What's the advantage or benefit of a true 1 vs 1.25?

If you're planning on action matches, without traveling out west, the Burris TAC 30 is worth a look. The TAC 30 has brighter illumination.
For longer distances the XTR will do it. Both are 1-4x.

I'll take a look, thanks!

What's the advantage or benefit of a true 1 vs 1.25?

!

It is a lot easier to shoot both eyes open at speed with a true 1x. slight magnification can cause issues when your eyes don't see the same image.

I found the reticle on the Tac 30 to be to big. But it is bright. Everyone eyes and needs are different. You really need to try different scopes to see what works for you. Come to a local rifle match and take a look through as many as you can

Putting the AccuPoint on the back burner for now; I have a JP XL free float tube on the way, and will get a stripped M&P lower from G&R Tactical after I get the BattleComp permanently attached. Looking at a Geissele SSA-E trigger and a Daniel Defense LPK.

Considering the Vltor Rifle Modstock, A2 length, as I'd rather not get a collapsible just to pin it. Any decent alternatives to the Vltor? Or should I just got with a standard A2 stock?

Thanks for the help getting me this far everyone, much appreciated!

Considering the Vltor Rifle Modstock, A2 length, as I'd rather not get a collapsible just to pin it. Any decent alternatives to the Vltor? Or should I just got with a standard A2 stock?

A lot of people seem to have the Ace skeleton stocks, which come in an A2 length.

Putting the AccuPoint on the back burner for now; I have a JP XL free float tube on the way, and will get a stripped M&P lower from G&R Tactical after I get the BattleComp permanently attached. Looking at a Geissele SSA-E trigger and a Daniel Defense LPK.

Thanks for the help getting me this far everyone, much appreciated!

I'm actually considering the Vltor Rifle Modstock A1, which is 5/8" shorter than the A2. The only other alternatives I know of are the ACE Skeleton and Rock River makes a fixed stock that looks decent (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=392).

I have the ACE now and it's comfortable and solid. However, I think the sling mounting options kind of suck. You can use Uncle Mike's studs and a sling swivel, but the pushbutton QD's strike me as a better way to go and they don't work well on the ACE. I wish ACE had machined in QD cups.

A lot of people seem to have the Ace skeleton stocks, which come in an A2 length.

I really like the Ace Skeleton stocks, I have both sizes.

I have the ACE now and it's comfortable and solid. However, I think the sling mounting options kind of suck. You can use Uncle Mike's studs and a sling swivel, but the pushbutton QD's strike me as a better way to go and they don't work well on the ACE. I wish ACE had machined in QD cups.

This is a good point, I don't have a sling on the rifle so it is not a big deal to me, but something to consider if a sling is something you want.

Back
Top Bottom