PLANNING ON JOINING THE ARMY... LOOKING FOR M.O.S. INFO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all, and thank you for your service!

Im interested in recommendations for choosing my MOS. I am leaning towards intelligence. I am very interested in the Human Intelligence Collector MOS i think its 35M if my memory serves me right. I am interested in talk to active duty or recent vets or i guess anyone else for that matter who has first hand knowledge of this field of work. If anyone has other MOS advice Im all ears! Also... I'm 27 and married with my 3rd child due to arrive on independance day. I am not really interested in the infantry/combat type jobs. I scored 96 on my test so I have too many options. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time, Dave Dalfino

Also... I'm leaning towards the Army because of my family responsibilities and... I dont like ships or planes that much, and the USMC will not take me with 4 dependants! thanks again!

I am not really interested in the infantry/combat type jobs. I scored 96 on my test so I have too many options. Any help will be appreciated.
Since you're interested in joining because of your family obligations, then I suggest modifying your "interests" to suit your goals: go where the bonus is. You can change your MOS later if you don't like it.

My oldest signed his Army contract in June 2005. He took the "quick ship" option (first available slot), and 19D Cavalry Scout. With his ASVAB score of 98, a "high need" MOS, and the quick ship option, his bonus totaled $19,000 for his first enlistment. After three years at his first station, he reenlisted for the new MOS of Combat Medic, and received another $10,000 bonus.

Just understand that although you might not be interested in Combat branches, (Infantry, Engineers, Artillery, Cav Scouts...) as part of a HUMINT team, you will be out on almost every patrol with these type of units on a daily basis. Counterinsurgency is fought at the squad/platoon level with a high emphasis placed on intelligence collection. In my experience, this was accomplished by embedding HUMINT personnel in the platoons. You will eat, sleep, and live with the platoon you are attached to should you be deployed. On patrols, you're first responsibility will be security. You will then have the further responsibility of developing sources to paint a better picture of the battlefield. When done correctly, you're another member of a platoon, but the go-to guy for tactical questioning.

Do you plan on making this a career and doing 20+ years, or will this be somewhat temporary?

The reason I ask is that although bonuses are nice and it's true that you can change your MOS, I've seen some soldiers have a very difficult time doing so for reasons ranging from the "needs of the Army" to lack of experience compared to rank already acquired. It is by no means impossible, but can be problematic. If you're going into the Army for a short term, go for the bonus, but if you're in it for the long haul, start out and stick with your interests are. Job satisfaction can far outweigh a bonus.

Im interested in recommendations for choosing my MOS. I am leaning towards intelligence. I am very interested in the Human Intelligence Collector MOS i think its 35M if my memory serves me right. I am interested in talk to active duty or recent vets or i guess anyone else for that matter who has first hand knowledge of this field of work. If anyone has other MOS advice Im all ears! Also... I'm 27 and married with my 3rd child due to arrive on independance day. I am not really interested in the infantry/combat type jobs. I scored 96 on my test so I have too many options. Any help will be appreciated.

Also... I'm leaning towards the Army because of my family responsibilities and... I dont like ships or planes that much, and the USMC will not take me with 4 dependants! thanks again!

First of all, I appreciate your "stepping up to the plate"...I really do!

But you ain't shit if you don't go Airborne![smile][smile]

Last edited:
Dave, I'd like to add my thanks to you for stepping up to the plate. As for your question, I'd look into finding a skill which will do you some good should you decide the Army's not for you following your initial enlistment. I have a niece who went into the LPN program (Licensed Practical Nurse). You'll surely do the Army good and the license is yours to keep should you decide to bail out. This young lady just returned from Iraq and is already taking classes to upgrade her license to R.N. Just a thought.

My son is currently at Fort Huachuca, in AIT for 35F. He just arrived on Feb 6. I haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks, but I'll let you know if he writes to tell me that it's wicked pissah. He wanted to go Infantry, and his favorite DS told him that he should have, after seeing him on the rifle range and in other settings. But his recruiter sold him on Intel; he was also a high test scorer.

My boy wanted to be a front line soldier, killing bad guys. The recruiter told him that as an Intel man he'd be saving lives, and I'm sure that's true. And wherever you serve, you won't avoid life threatening circumstances. I have a cousin who was an MI Captain, and she often went to places that scared the crap out of her, even if she wasn't hunkered down in a firefight most days. There's a lot of stuff she can't be specific about. That was during the invasion of Iraq.

Intel is a pretty academic AIT experience. If that's what you like, go for it.

Don't know how it will go for a family man, but if you want to go Army, you'd better decide pretty soon. Expect some hardship ... the separation from family is no easy road. I'd also consider the earlier suggestion about considering what MOS is paying a bonus right now, unless you have your heart set on an Intel track.

(Oh, and Skysoldier, after Huachuca, his next stop is Fort Benning, for Airborne training. [wink])

My oldest signed his Army contract in June 2005. He took the "quick ship" option (first available slot), and 19D Cavalry Scout. //
For the red-blooeded, cavalry Scout is one of the best jobs in the Army.

//(Oh, and Skysoldier, after Huachuca, his next stop is Fort Benning, for Airborne training. [wink])
Excellent.

Did you know that by order of the Commander, non-Airborne qualified officers in the Airborne School area are not saluted?

Last edited:

Shoot me a message tomorrow and I'll look to see what's available, and if there are any bonuses.

Dave sorry I don't have any advice for you as 11B3V (infantry), my only other choice choice would have been 18X and I had 98 on my asvab. I think any job in todays army is going to be combat as most units are rotating through deployments and most MOS will deploy with their units. If you want to try and get some skills for afterwards talk to a recruiter and don't always count on a 20 year career you never know when you could be injured and seperated and that where some skills will help you as an infantry man gun skill don't transalte over to many civilians job unlike a medic, nurse or dental hygenist. Make sure you do it for the right choices not because your just desperate for a job and are ready to go into combat when your uncle asks you to as ieds don't target just the infantry. Just some food for thought not trying to scare you away from it just want you to think it take it from from someone who has been around and seen it all.

dave do what is best your wife and childern. make this your full time job you will not be sorry for it all the best.

if joining the military is something deep down you WANT to do, then you should do it; you'll regret it the rest of your life if you don't. if it's something that you have an interest in, but a significant part of your motivation is that the bonus money is good too, and job security, college, retire at a reasonable age, etc... well, in that case, the result can be more of a mixed bag. just know what you want is all i'm saying.
also, in my experience, i would not go in with the intention of switching MOS down the road. it's true that it can be done, but army paperwork can be a bitch, and sometimes things will hinge on a few signatures that give you the run-around till your dates are past. i recommend signing up for what you want.

JMHO.
YMMV.
IANAL.

if joining the military is something deep down you WANT to do, then you should do it; you'll regret it the rest of your life if you don't. if it's something that you have an interest in, but a significant part of your motivation is that the bonus money is good too, and job security, college, retire at a reasonable age, etc... well, in that case, the result can be more of a mixed bag. just know what you want is all i'm saying.
also, in my experience, i would not go in with the intention of switching MOS down the road. it's true that it can be done, but army paperwork can be a bitch, and sometimes things will hinge on a few signatures that give you the run-around till your dates are past. i recommend signing up for what you want.

JMHO.
YMMV.
IANAL.
Excellent advice.

Intel is a great way to go. Whether you decide to be an analyst, Huminteer, or a SIGINT guy there are allot of contract opportunitys once you get out that all pay very well. Get the job, hold to what you want to do, then learn everything you can, get all the schools possible build your resume and network with contractors doing intel. It will pay off (literally) when you ETS. If your going that route, start learning now about middle eastern culture, learn some arabic, pashto and dari and drop the infidel BS it will help you out in your career.

Make sure you do it for the right choices not because your just desperate for a job and are ready to go into combat when your uncle asks you to as ieds don't target just the infantry.
That's why I suggested 19D to my oldest. I told him that in the current situation overseas, everyone goes on patrol, and there is no such thing as a non-combat job. I said that when you're out on patrol, you want to be the best trained and best equipped, and just as important, you want to be surrounded by people who are the best trained and best equipped.

Nothing against other MOSes, but 19D and 11B do full time what the others are getting thrust into whether they're prepared or not.

That's why I suggested 19D to my oldest. I told him that in the current situation overseas, everyone goes on patrol, and there is no such thing as a non-combat job. I said that when you're out on patrol, you want to be the best trained and best equipped, and just as important, you want to be surrounded by people who are the best trained and best equipped.

Nothing against other MOSes, but 19D and 11B do full time what the others are getting thrust into whether they're prepared or not.

Thats not true, theres plenty of worthless POGs that sit around and watch the Olympics in the chowhall and get fat on Burger King and Popeye's while the minority are out on mission.

I had a 19D come over my my platoon AO one time telling us he was a "scout" it was hilarious.

You've got three kids, join the Air Force.

Tom
formerly Hospital Corpsman USN Battalion Landing Team 1/8 26th MEU(SOC) 2nd Marine Division (That's Infantry) who said sailors stay on ships?

I thought pogs were those little cardboard circles that were popular in the 90's [wink]. Seriously, though, P2A is right. The belief that everyone goes out on patrol is completely false. I was based at Al Asad (a.k.a. "Camp Cupcake") when I was in country. Most personnel on that base NEVER left the wire their entire deployment. Heck, there were loooooong stretches of time when I didn't leave the wire. My team even had enough time at one point to all sign up for WoW accounts and start a little questing group. I got to level 35 with a dwarf hunter before I was able to get on another convoy.

Last edited:
Air traffic control and nuclear technician come to mind as decent money making skills once you get out.

Or you could go total badass and kill lots and lots of people with death rays: Air Force CCT

I thought pogs were those little cardboard circles that were popular in the 90's [wink]. Seriously, though, P2A is right. The belief that everyone goes out on patrol is completely false. I was based at Al Asad (a.k.a. "Camp Cupcake") when I was in country. Most personnel on that base NEVER left the wire their entire deployment. Heck, there were loooooong stretches of time when I didn't leave the wire. My team even had enough time at one point to all sign up for WoW accounts and start a little questing group. I got to level 35 with a dwarf hunter before I was able to get on another convoy.
Hence, what usedtabe REMF's have become "Fobbits."

1-fobbit.JPG

Hence, what usedtabe REMF's have become "Fobbits."

1-fobbit.JPG

LOL, yup. What was even worse were the guys in our comm/data section. They spent the entire deployment in a hardend bunker doing, um, actually I'm not sure what they did...comm crap of some sort Anyway, they came back from that deployment so pasty white it was unbelievable. They essentially didn't see sunlight for 7 months.

Well ...

CIA base attacked in Afghanistan supported airstrikes against al-Qaeda, Taliban

The blast early Wednesday evening in the eastern province of Khost killed seven CIA officers and contractors, including the base chief, and seriously wounded six others in what intelligence officials described as a devastating blow to one of the agency's key intelligence hubs for counterterrorism operations. It was the deadliest single day for the agency since eight CIA officers were killed in the 1983 bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Beirut.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/31/AR2009123100541.html

LOL, yup. What was even worse were the guys in our comm/data section. They spent the entire deployment in a hardend bunker doing, um, actually I'm not sure what they did...comm crap of some sort Anyway, they came back from that deployment so pasty white it was unbelievable. They essentially didn't see sunlight for 7 months.

Shoot we used to joke working in Field Station the we were mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed sh**.[wink][laugh] Our building had one window when you first entered and got our badges from the mud puppies.[laugh]

What is your point? If there is one.

I'm sorry that I have to explain it to you, but I will. Here's the typical definition of "Fobbit"

Fobbit is a derogatory term used by American military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan to describe personnel whose duties are primarily within the confines of a Forward Operating Base (FOB).

The incident I cited in my prior post occurred recently at Forward Operating Base Chapman, located in Afghanistan, in the eastern Province of Khost near the border of Pakistan. Had you clicked the link, you would have read it yourself.

So the point, however you wish to take it, is that men and women assigned to FOBs put their lives at risk, too. And sometimes they die, whether behind the wire or outside. I hope that those men and women who serve in uniform in MI and other occupations at FOBs in war zones are providing the kind of information that reduces the risk of combat casualties on the front lines of battle.

I didn't mean to become a snippy little bitch over it, but, well, you left me no choice.

Any questions?

I'm sorry that I have to explain it to you, but I will. Here's the typical definition of "Fobbit"

The incident I cited in my prior post occurred recently at Forward Operating Base Chapman, located in Afghanistan, in the eastern Province of Khost near the border of Pakistan. Had you clicked the link, you would have read it yourself.

So the point, however you wish to take it, is that men and women assigned to FOBs put their lives at risk, too. And sometimes they die, whether behind the wire or outside. I hope that those men and women who serve in uniform in MI and other occupations at FOBs in war zones are providing the kind of information that reduces the risk of combat casualties on the front lines of battle.

I didn't mean to become a snippy little bitch over it, but, well, you left me no choice.

Any questions?

You obviously have no idea what your talking about. Or what those people do. I think its greatly disrespectful to use those that have died to make a point. Having been there, and done it. The term Fobbit, to us that HAVE served in a combat capacity while Joe gets fat at the PX there is a real distinction. To a stupid civillian that uses CIA Agent, and contractor deaths, that he doent know much about, well other than what he read in the Washington Post( that should of never been in there). I can see where the line gets fuzzy. But as to the Vietnam era guys that had their REMFS we have our POGs, FOBBITs and the like. Sitting in an air conditioned office playing WOW eating Popeye's isnt the same thing as being on patrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom