pistol transfer from lapsed LTC holder

Thanks, we will go to a dealer maybe he accept the Raven for the transfer of the Model 36.
Thanks
again GUNHO

Hello folks, I read a lot of previous threads but want to be sure.

If my friends LTC expired (Lapsed) can he transfer his two pistols to me ( A properly licensed person) using FA-10 forms listing his former LTC number?

I have read/heard both yes and no!

He wants them out of his house and quite frankly they are inexpensive (Raven Arms) and not worth the transfer fee so I like to avoid it if possible.

Thanks
Gunho

Last edited:
No, legally once his LTC expired, he no longer has one and can't transfer anything except to/thru an FFL.

For Ravens, it might be more appropriate to turn them into a buy-back or the PD for destruction. They are the "Saturday Night Specials" that the Brady Bunch was crowing about 20+ years ago, they truly are junk IMNSHO.

IMO a ravens/jennings/lorcins/brycos are not worth wasting an FA-10 on.
He should find a gun buyback and get the cash; they're worth
more there than they are in reality.

-Mike

No gun deserves to be destroyed.

I agree- but it would have been far better off if pot metal POSes
like those were never made to begin with. I know if I was an FFL
I couldn't sell one of those things to someone and still be able to sleep
properly at night. (Well, maybe if the buyer was just collecting it, fine, but
I couldn't sell it as a self defense product. )

-Mike

How long ago did his LTC expire? According to the MGL a LTC holder has rights through 90 days of expiration. I have been researching this intensly as I want to buy a firearm and my LTC expired last month. Having completed my renewal process in June as directed by the local PD and being told not to worry as I had 90 days of grace period after expiration (not revocation...no 90 days etc if revoked). He told me I can do anything I desire as though I had my current LTC in hand. I'm told I'm approved just waiting for it to show up at the local police station.

I'm still leary about attempting to make a purchase but I read the law and it states validity upon expiration (including 90 days past expiration) so I was actually hoping to get someone here to chime in an opinion on what I've come up with. I could find nothing in searching the forum archives.

Understood...so as long as I have my receitp for payment of the renewal I can purchase firearms and ammo using the 90 day extension or until my renewed LTC-A shows up.

Thanks

Understood...so as long as I have my receitp for payment of the renewal I can purchase firearms and ammo using the 90 day extension or until my renewed LTC-A shows up.

Thanks

in theory ..............

in reality ........... No Way! (although I'd love to be proven wrong)

I just got off of the phone with the LEO that issues permits and he confirmed that as long as a renewal has been submitted there is a 90 extension after the expiration of any LTC in MA. He did say that most LEOs probably don't know it but he is confident that most retailers do as that is their livelihood and they usually know the gun laws better than most police.

He said I could go out and purchase anything right now that I legally could a month ago.

My only issue is that I can't do any out of state, mailorder C&R purchases as they definitely don't know MA laws and most definitely would not accept my word.

Hopefully this clarifies the expiration date issue.

BOY WAS I WRONG! Icyclefar was right...in theory only!!!

Was turned away at 4 Seasons tonight. My son wanted to buy a WASR but had his FID card tossed back at him, this is no good, I forgot he could buy a hi cap mag weapon. Sorry but don't be rude, I was about to drop about $450 with ammo etc. Then they refused to run my "expired" LTC as it is expired, a new number is issued and the finger print scanner won't have me in it!!! I quote, "the police were mis-informing you". All they would sell me is ammo if I wanted. Carl wouldn't even come out of the back room just relayed to someone...ammo only. Then a third party chimed in and supported the grace period is to keep you from losing what you own and to continue carrying without prosecution. My response was...that's your opinion. I still believe the LEO whether or not the store is sure or not I don't know but they could have tried. Shame on me for not pushing it a little more just to see. In all honesty they were a little slow so were busy eating dinner, sorry to disturb. I'm done there. Collectors, On Target, mail order (C&R) here I come!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom