• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pioneer Sportsmen Inc. - Dunbarton, NH

Pioneer Sportsmen Inc. (“Pioneer”) is a privately owned sport shooting club located in Dunbarton, New Hampshire. Pioneer is located on 65 acres, approximately 4 mi. west of Concord, NH, Exit 2 off I-89, on State Highway 13 (Clinton Street). There are 5 outdoor pistol ranges, a 100 yard rifle range, outdoor archery courses, a heated clubhouse, a heated indoor pistol range, and a heated indoor archery range.

Pioneer regularly hosts events including Bullseye Pistol, Practical Pistol & Rifle (IDPA, Practical Rifle/BUG, 3Gun, Shotgun), Metallic Silhouette and 3D Archery.

IDPA

Over the years Pioneer has provided the venue for such prestigious events such as the IDPA New England Championships and the New England Regional Steel Challenge Championships. We are proud to continue to host a very active Action Shooting program featuring monthly IDPA Matches held the 3rd Saturday of May through September (weather permitting). On July 18, 2010 Pioneer is hosting the NH State IDPA Championship.

Everyone is welcome at each of our regularly scheduled matches, from the beginning shooter to the experienced shooter. There are also informal practice sessions scheduled for the benefit of our staff along with their counterparts from other clubs and organizations around New England. In conjunction with our IDPA program, Pioneer also hosts 3 Gun, BUG (Back Up Gun), Rifle/Carbine and Shotgun matches at various times during the year and colder months.

Bullseye Pistol

We have an active group of pistol shooters who practice and shoot in competition on a year round basis, on Wednesday nights. There are three leagues throughout the year - an indoor winter season and an indoor spring season for .22 only, and an outdoor summer season for 2 gun matches of both .22 and center fire.

The indoor winter season consists of 40 separate 30-shot NRA Gallery Matches, 2 matches fired each week on our indoor range from October through March. Our winter pistol league runs for 20 Wednesdays (skipping some holiday weeks and snow days). When shooting indoors, three relays run at 5:45 PM, 6:30 PM and 7:15 PM on our, eight point, 50-foot range. If an extra point is open on a relay, you may shoot a banked match or practice. Our indoor spring season is from March through May, with one .22 caliber 900 match each week.

We have a summer Outdoor Pistol League each Wednesday evening on our covered 18 point 50-yard range. This league consists of an NRA 30 shot .22 match and an NRA 30 shot center fire match. Shooters who do not own a center fire gun may use .22 for both matches.

Metallic Silhouette

Our programs and the number of attendees have grown dramatically in recent years and we have recently doubled the number of events we hold. Matches are now held on our Metallic Silhouette 100 Meter Range on the third Sunday of each month.

Archery

Pioneer offers one of the premier indoor archery shooting facilities in New England. Our recently built, well lit and heated, 32’ by 100’ allows us 12 shooting spots at a maximum range of 25 meters. For outdoor target archery we have a 14 target field archery course and a range with a maximum shooting distance of 70 meters. Practice targets are next to the clubhouse with shooting distances from 20 to 50 yards. There is a tree stand for the hunters to use for sighting in. We also have thirty 3D lanes where, during the summer months, targets are set up for practice. On Tuesday evenings we have our indoor league during the winter. The rest of time the indoor facility is available for members to come and shoot at their leisure.

Membership

Prospective members are encouraged to attend a monthly meeting held at 7:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month. Membership orientations are currently scheduled for 7:00 p.m. on the Monday following the monthly meeting. Prospective members need to: (1) submit an application, (2) submit a recently completed (within 6 months) State of New Hampshire Department of Safety background check, and (3) attend a new member orientation. Forms for the application and background check can be found on the Pioneer website at:

http://www.nouveauhosting.com/PioneerSportsmen/

And let's not forget about the Steel Challege Match on Saturday, May 1st 2010 that Pioneer is hosting. I hope individuals new to the action shooting sport are not intimidated by the word "Match" for Steel Challenge events. I remember feeling intimidated and I had showed up at a match just to watch so I wouldn't embarass myself. Fortunately someone said, "What do you mean you're not going to shoot? It's much more fun to shoot than watch!" I think shooters are some of the most welcoming and helpful individuals. If they know your new, they will guide you and help make you a better shooter. These "Matches" are really more along the lines of, "Hey we have some Steel set up on May 1st come on over and see what it's like to shoot steel. For shooters who want to keep track of their times that is of course scored, but for others it's an opportunity to experience something we don't get to do very often like shooting steel or IDPA Stages. Come check us out!

I had the same experience when I showed up to watch my first IDPA match, "What do you mean you're not going to shoot? Do you have your stuff? If not, you can borrow some." Very nice bunch of welcoming guys.

By the way, full disclosure, I'm the VP (and Membership Director) of the Club.

does a current NH concealed carry permit suffice for #2 above, State of New Hampshire Department of Safety background check?

does a current NH concealed carry permit suffice for #2 above, State of New Hampshire Department of Safety background check?

The short answer is no. The longer answer is that we'd prefer to have the best evidence that the background check was performed and the contents of it. The best evidence for that is a copy of the form completed by the NH Dept of Safety.

attending an IDPA RSO course up there soon. have heard great things. Will do in regards to the background check.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if ANYONE has ANY desire to shoot an IDPA, Steel Challenge, BUG, 3 Gun match, shoot me a PM....I will meet with you the morning of the match, take you aside, help to get you comfortable, answer any all all questions, and point you out to other people and introduce you to pertinent people to ask for help and to watch for ideas. I LOVE new shooters....please....don't be afraid to come out and watch/ learn/ try...All you need is a good attitude...and yes, we will allow you to shoot .22 and any of our matches...for most of us it's not about winning, it's about having fun and shooting...I don't care if you don't have the right holster, right mags, whatever- we will work with you to have a fun, educational and safe first match....

If you decide to show up the morning of the match, I the bald dude with the bad sense of humor, and provided it is after 7:00 in the morning, will probably have cigar hanging out of my mouth.

We have an new member orientation scheduled for this Monday (4/5) at 7:00 p.m. at the Club. If you have already submitted an application, and have a recently completed (within the past 6 months) NH Dept of Safety criminal records check in hand, you are welcome to attend.

We plan on having a new member orientation on Monday May 10, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. at the Club. If you have already submitted an application, and have a recently completed (within the past 6 months) NH Dept of Safety criminal records check in hand, you are welcome to attend. If you have not submitted an application or do not have a NH Dept of Safety criminal records check, you can find both forms on the Pioneer website (http://www.nouveauhosting.com/PioneerSportsmen/). You are also welcome to attend the next monthly meeting on May 6, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. at the Club.

I was beginning to wonder whether this thread had generated any new members. At the last orientation on May 10, someone confirmed that they applied because they read the thread on Northeastshooters. Yeah!

Anywho ... we plan on having a new member orientation on Monday June 7, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. at the Club. If you have already submitted an application, and have a recently completed (within the past 6 months) NH Dept of Safety criminal records check in hand, you are welcome to attend. If you have not submitted an application or do not have a NH Dept of Safety criminal records check, you can find both forms on the Pioneer website (http://www.nouveauhosting.com/PioneerSportsmen/). You are also welcome to attend the next monthly meeting on June 3, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. at the Club.

I should also mention that there is a Steel Challenge match at the Club on Saturday morning, June 5, 2010. New shooters are welcome to attend. Just tell the RO that it is your first time and you will be treated gently.

Because of the upcoming 4th of July weekend, the July monthly meeting has been postponed to the second Thursday of the month (July 8), and likewise the next orientation has been postponed to Monday July 12, at 7:00 p.m. at the Club.

If you have already submitted an application, and have a recently completed (within the past 6 months) NH Dept of Safety criminal records check in hand, you are welcome to attend. If you have not submitted an application or do not have a NH Dept of Safety criminal records check, you can find both forms on the Pioneer website (http://www.nouveauhosting.com/PioneerSportsmen/).

On Sunday July 18, Pioneer is hosting the NH State IDPA Championship. You can register for the match here: http://www.matchreg.com/nh/

That same day Pioneer is also hosting a silhouette match. Also at 8:00. There's plenty of room come on down.

The next orientation is Monday, August 9, at 7:00 p.m. at the Club. If you join in August, you get 14 months of membership for the cost of 12 months.

If you have already submitted an application, and have a recently completed (within the past 6 months) NH Dept of Safety criminal records check in hand, you are welcome to attend. If you have not submitted an application or do not have a NH Dept of Safety criminal records check, you can find both forms on the Pioneer website (http://www.nouveauhosting.com/PioneerSportsmen/).

On Saturday August 7, Pioneer is hosting the 4th Annual Chaplain Emergency Relief Fund (CERF) Benefit Steel Challenge Match. All proceeds go to benefit NH Military and their families.

http://www.nfga.org/news/Pioneer_CERF_Match_Flyer_2010.pdf

i honestly dont understand why you need a background check on a person who is legally licensed and has had to submit to the checks to get their license.

i honestly dont understand why you need a background check on a person who is legally licensed and has had to submit to the checks to get their license.

The Club is looking for the best evidence that a background check has been performed and the contents thereof.

i understand your reasoning but if you have a valid ltc the background check has been done already. so why have someone do it again? it seems redundant to me. im just curious and not trying to upset any apple carts.

I guess we don't see it as redundant. Many of our members don't carry concealed and have no need to obtain a license to carry concealed. Additionally, the NH Dept of Safety form provides confirmation that: (a) the applicant has no record, or (b) what is in their record. Whereas, the fact that an applicant has obtained a concealed carry license does neither.

I've found that folks who apply to be members really don't complain about the process. Getting a record checked performed at the NH Dept of Safety takes 5 minutes, once you are there.

thank you for your response. the frist paragraph answers my questions. like i said i was curious and not trying to get anyone upset. i now understand so thanks again.

The next orientation will be Monday September 13th, at 7:00 p.m. at the Club.

Elections for PSI Board of Directors and Officers will be held at the Annual meeting on Oct. 6th. Active members in good standing who are interested in running for office should contact Dennis Crawford or Chris Currier to be placed on the ballot. Offices to be filled are President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, Executive Officer, 2 Directors and 2 Alt-Directors. Directors' terms are for 3 years; all others are for 1 year. All members are required to come to the annual meeting to renew their membership and should stay for the meeting to cast their vote for the Officers and Directors who will Govern PSI for the upcoming year.

I just want to clarify the background check requirement. When we say that you need to "have a recently completed (within the past 6 months) NH Dept of Safety criminal records check in hand" in order to attend the orientation, you need to have a completed background check at the time of, or preferably before, the orientation. The easiest way to submit your paperwork is to scan it and email it to: [email protected].

The next orientation will be Tuesday October 12th, at 7:00 p.m. at the Club.

If you have already submitted an application, and have a recently completed (within the past 6 months) NH Dept of Safety criminal records check in hand, you are welcome to attend. If you have not submitted an application or do not have a NH Dept of Safety criminal records check, you can find links to both forms on the Pioneer website (http://www.nouveauhosting.com/PioneerSportsmen/).

The next orientation will be Monday November 8th, at 7:00 p.m. at the Club.

If you have already submitted an application, and have a recently completed (within the past 6 months) NH Dept of Safety criminal records check in hand, you are welcome to attend. If you have not submitted an application or do not have a recent NH Dept of Safety criminal records check, you can find links to both forms on the Pioneer website (http://www.nouveauhosting.com/PioneerSportsmen/).

The easiest way to submit your paperwork is to scan it and email it to: [email protected].

If you were a member in 2009 - 2010 and you have not yet renewed, you can renew your membership at the Clubhouse from 6:30 to 7:00 on Thursday November 4, 2010.

The next orientation will be Monday April 11th, at 7:00 p.m. at the Club.

If you have already submitted an application, and have a recently completed (within the past 6 months) NH Dept of Safety criminal records check in hand, you are welcome to attend. If you have not submitted an application or do not have a recent NH Dept of Safety criminal records check, you can find links to both forms on the Pioneer website (http://www.nouveauhosting.com/PioneerSportsmen/).

The easiest way to submit your paperwork is to scan it and email it to: [email protected]. If you have already submitted your paperwork and plan on coming to the orientation, let us know you plan on attending.

Back
Top Bottom