• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant hunting

Has anyone tried Pheasant hunting without a dog? Can It be done? Where in MA, do they stock public land? Any help would be great.

On the Masswildlife page they list the stocking areas. It can be done but it's dumb luck if you kick up birds. I do it because I have no choice but I walk many days only hearing other people shoot.

Haven't gone in years, want to go this year with 10yo son...I used to go with 2-3 other guys, had a better chance of kicking up something...

Out in the midwest corn fields, when we didn't have a dog, we would tie about 20-30 feet of a 1/2" or larger rope between us and walk down the fields with the rope dragging (or a smaller rope with a couple small weights tied to them). The rope movement along the ground was usually enough to kick the birds out.

I don't use a dog. But you have to be the dog. So put on you briar buster pants and push through the thick SH!T and you will kick out rabits too.

I'm my own dog, too. Your success rate will be lower than someone with a dog. Sure, I'd rather have a dog, but not having one isn't going to stop me from going out!

Mike-Mike is right - you need to get into the places they hide. It's tiring, but fun.

You can get lucky without a dog, but it generally turns out to be no more than an armed hike!

As Woody Thurman once said:

Going hunting without a dog is like going on a honeymoon without a bride.

They usually stock the birds from the access road and the birds run into the thickets along the road. Walk the tree line and you'll scare up a few.

i dont have a dog (wish i did) and i just put on my briar buster pants and shirt and kick likely looking brush piles,hollowed out stumps,logs and blow downs.

I've been stomping about the woods & fields out here for the past two years trying to kick up a bird. [thinking]

Managed to scare up a partridge last year and was so surprised I missed the shot. [crying]

Go during the week.

If you have a guy working a dog on one side of a hedgerow shadow their movements on the other side.

If you are working the area youself stop and stand often. This often makes tight holding birds that are waiting for you to pass spook.

I used to go a lot without a dog and I would get something about every other year. I like to hike around anyway so I always enjoyed the walk even if I didn't get anything.

TJ,
I've been hunting Myles Standish in Plymouth for about 5 years without a dog, and almost always alone. I've had pretty good luck. The very first day hunting I bagged two birds, and shot at a third. I try to go twice a week, usually see birds, even shoot at some. One time I shot a bird a hunter and his dog walk by two minutes before me. Funny how the bird didn't flush for the dog, but I kicked it up just by walking by.

So, yes you can hunt without a dog, but it helps to be lucky. Plus having hunted the same area for a few years you get to know where the birds like to hole up. It also helps that they stock MS 3X a week.[wink]

That being said, I'll have a hunting buddy with me this year. My Lab, Rosie, will be about 5 months old this season. Ya, I know she's young, but what the hell, she'll enjoy the walk.

Last edited:
Go during the week.

If you have a guy working a dog on one side of a hedgerow shadow their movements on the other side.

If you are working the area youself stop and stand often. This often makes tight holding birds that are waiting for you to pass spook.

this is great advice.

Also don't be afraid to sit and watch an area for 20 minutes or so, this has helped me spot a bird. I won't work if there are other hunters around.

I live next to power lines that run parallel to 2 sets of pipe lines, both have long grass and thickets. The are is not stocked, would this be a good area to hunt?

Which clubs in Milford/146/495 area have trap open to the public?

Thanks for the help.

I live next to power lines that run parallel to 2 sets of pipe lines, both have long grass and thickets. The are is not stocked, would this be a good area to hunt?

Which clubs in Milford/146/495 area have trap open to the public?

Thanks for the help.

Hunting an area in MA that isn't stocked will likely turn into an armed nature hike.

Hunting pheasant without a dog isn't luck - it is tough work, but it can be done. I'm actually more successful without a dog than most of my friends who do use one.
*****I'm not talking about true hunting dogs that are bred and TRAINED to hunt, of which I see very few. Most dog hunters I see spend most of their time blowing a whistle and irritating everyone else while they try to round up their dogs. A well trained dog is awesome to watch, your french poodle / pitbull mix with an orange collar is not the same thing******

Good places I've found are: swampy areas, heavy thorny cover, thick undergrowth along the woodline. Our birds do not have a subscription to Field and Stream, and do not know what the "classic" cover looks like, so they go where they think it best.

The Mass fish and wildlife site lists the WMA's where they stock birds, hitting these areas will obviously increase your chances.

One thing I do is to only load two rounds. I've never hit with the 3rd, 4th or 5th shell, and you just let everyone know to head your way to find the bird you missed. Fire only two, everyone will think you scored, and you have a chance of kicking up that bird again.

Walk slow, zigzag, pause often, start your movements suddenly. Kick "birdy" looking clumps, and expect the bird to flush from where you're about to step.

The best part of a dog is getting your bird after the shot. I carry several 3 foot sections of flagging tape tied to a heavy nut (not me) or something similar. After the shot, drop one where you took the shot from so you can start over again when you get turned around. Throw a second one where you saw the bird go down, so you have a good place to start looking. Once you get to where you "thought" you saw it go down, you'll soon discover you haven't got a clue where you are or where you started from - the tape will help a lot to keep your bearings.

These birds blend in amazingly well. You'll have a tough time finding a whole bird, just look for a feather, your more likely to find the bird by looking for a piece of one, than the whole thing which is very easy to miss in even low grass.

Back
Top Bottom