Pheasant Hunting

image.jpg First pheasant hunt at fin fur and feather. Otto did great. Pointed this bird and tracked another for over 50 yards on the run then pointed rock solid when he was pinned. I missed that one. So proud of this 8 month old pup

That a drathaar? Cant really tell from the pic. My 8 month old GSP is all fired up for birds...been training him in pigeon and quail all spring and summer, boy does he love birds. Took him over to the trap range just to get him use to multiple shots and ruckus again, as i had to take a few weeks off of training for my honeymoon...what a mistake that was! I guess ive got him really conditioned that big bang = birds, as every shot he was dragging me in the direction of the shot...cant wait to get him on some birds again this weekend.
image.jpg

Not sure, but i dropped some coin on a garmin alpha...completely worth it. Very accurate GPS and great range, very user friendly. Not cheap, but I have no "kids" besides my dogs, so they get the best of everything...plus, if I didnt come home with the wifes "baby"....well lets just say I wouldnt come home hahaha

Can anyone recommend some good ammo for Pheasant?

Sure can:

Keep it simple and buy #6 remmington game loads. Wal mart......like 8 bucks for a box of 25. If you think you want some extra range go with #4 or you could spend the extra money on remmington express extended range (winchester calls em "high brass" and federal calls em "heavy field") in #6 or #4 at about $18 for a box of 25. You'll hear all kinds of guys posting about the "super extra prairy raider wicked awesome upland game" this and that.....they are expensive......IMO.....ammo for hunting is similar to fishing lure manufacturers......they all have to come out with something new and awesome to sell you. Remmy #6 and #4 have been schwacking pheasants for decades and decades.......i'll buy the green and yellow boxes of #6 and #4 and save money. just my humble thoughts.

Last edited:
Had to update my post.......#6 remmy game loads are only like $8 a box and the express loads are bout $18

Also these loads work just fine for squirrel and rabbit so you can use em even after the pheasant season is over if you are in the mood!

Last edited:
I'll be out Saturday in the Mashpee area for Quail and Pheasant.
Martin Burns on Monday.

I would agree that the generic Remington pheasant ammo is perfectly fine.

folks often seek out more expensive ammo hoping they will miss fewer birds, but truthfully, its just a matter of them needing to shoot more clays and become a more proficient shotgun shooter.

looking forward to Mass pheasant opening!!!

This

If I hit em they die if I don't they fly. Every bird I've whiffed on I knew I either mounted the gun wrong or missed my lead. Cant recall a whiff where I said "damn if I had only spent an extra 20 bucks on those prairey raider nuclear super extras ida hit that bird

My neighbor was walking his dog in Westboro WMA today and saw the bird truck on the way out.
He asked the guy how many birds he put in and all he would say is "plenty.".......

I usually wait until midweek to get in there once the crowd thins down a bit.

Good luck tomorrow!

Crowded today. Evidently all my "secret" spots are not so secret after all! One guy nearly got shot. Not rained on. Idiot opened fire 10 ft above his head in Berlin.

I got my two today without a dog. I got off to a bad start though. about 5 min. after shooting time I came up on a dog on point with its owner about 100 yards back talking to some people and I flushed a huge rooster but being right over the dog which I'm not use to, I took an overly cautious high shot and missed both times. Then about 10 minutes after that I'm walking down a path and another dog with an owner nowhere in sight comes down the path and flushes another in front of me... same thing I shoot to cautiously and miss. Finally I get away from these dogs and see one standing on the ground off the main road I for once hit something. 10 min. later I try a small path out, walk in about 50 feet and see another hen running away from me..hit that one on the ground as well. This all happened from 7am to 7:45. Saw 4 and bagged out.. Good to get two but I'm more bummed out about the two I missed.

I got my two today without a dog. I got off to a bad start though. about 5 min. after shooting time I came up on a dog on point with its owner about 100 yards back talking to some people and I flushed a huge rooster but being right over the dog which I'm not use to, I took an overly cautious high shot and missed both times. Then about 10 minutes after that I'm walking down a path and another dog with an owner nowhere in sight comes down the path and flushes another in front of me... same thing I shoot to cautiously and miss. Finally I get away from these dogs and see one standing on the ground off the main road I for once hit something. 10 min. later I try a small path out, walk in about 50 feet and see another hen running away from me..hit that one on the ground as well. This all happened from 7am to 7:45. Saw 4 and bagged out.. Good to get two but I'm more bummed out about the two I missed.

Sounds like and exciting morning. I just want to be sure I got this right.
You missed the 2 birds flying in the air but were able to kill the birds that you shot on the ground?

Sounds like and exciting morning. I just want to be sure I got this right.
You missed the 2 birds flying in the air but were able to kill the birds that you shot on the ground?

Sorry I missed that event.

And shooting over someone else's dog? That's just something I would never think to do.

Not to bust you but , on the ground ?

Back
Top Bottom