Personal transfer of handgun from NH resident

Can someone refresh my memory; I have a friend that lives in NH and has a handgun that I want to buy off of him. I being a MA resident and him being a NH resident, how would this transfer work? I don't believe the gun is on the approved list in MA.

Thanks!

It can't work. It has to go through a MA FFL then to you, otherwise its a federal crime.

^This! You are s.o.l. unfortunately, especially if it is an off-list hand gun, since even an FFL can't transfer it legally. This is a federal law btw, not a MA thing regarding hand guns. They can only be transferred ftf in the same state, otherwise an FFL needs to do the transfer.

Can someone refresh my memory; I have a friend that lives in NH and has a handgun that I want to buy off of him. I being a MA resident and him being a NH resident, how would this transfer work? I don't believe the gun is on the approved list in MA.

Thanks!

I couldn't sell a kimber to a mass state trooper we tried everything to figure it out everywhere refused to do it.

^This! You are s.o.l. unfortunately, especially if it is an off-list hand gun, since even an FFL can't transfer it legally. This is a federal law btw, not a MA thing regarding hand guns. They can only be transferred ftf in the same state, otherwise an FFL needs to do the transfer.

The handgun list is not Federal it's a MA thing.

Pretty sure he was saying transferring a handgun FTF across border non FFL to FFL is a federal crime which it is.

I disagree.
An FFL can receive a handgun that came from any state, but can only transfer it over-the-counter (to a non-FFL holder) if that person is a resident of the same state as the selling FFL's business.
It's the Mass compliance thing that's the sticking point here, not federal law.

I disagree.
An FFL can receive a handgun that came from any state, but can only transfer it over-the-counter (to a non-FFL holder) if that person is a resident of the same state as the selling FFL's business.
It's the Mass compliance thing that's the sticking point here, not federal law.

Well I should've implied Ffls are exempt from that statement along with a oos resident with a mass ltc that can drive it to a dealer willing to take an off list gun then transfer it to a resident which unless you personally know an FFL its going to be incredibly hard to find some one with the exception of glocks which there's a place in nh who will transfer to a certain store in mass but I'm not calling them out.

Well I should've implied Ffls are exempt from that statement along with a oos resident with a mass ltc that can drive it to a dealer willing to take an off list gun then transfer it to a resident which unless you personally know an FFL its going to be incredibly hard to find some one with the exception of glocks which there's a place in nh who will transfer to a certain store in mass but I'm not calling them out.

NH dealers have no problem transferring off-list guns to Mass dealers, that happens every day.
The Mass compliance list doesn't affect the NH dealer at all, it's entirely up the the Mass FFL if he's willing to transfer the off-list gun to the Mass resident. The AG regs only apply to him, not the NH dealer or the Mass resident buyer.

Back
Top Bottom