Pawn Shop Guns

Traveling for work I would occasionally wander into pawn shops in other states. I remember one near Murfreesboro TN that had to have 100 Glocks.

I saw one place that specialized in powertools, so I went in. Most of it had abviously been on at least one jobsite and all the prices were full MSRP as near as I could tell.

Growing up in Dorchester we didn't have any pawn shops. However there was Bob the longshoreman. Had new stuff in his trunk every week!
When I worked for Raytheon in Waltham, a material handler had a "deal" each week, selling stuff that had "fallen off the truck". When he went on vacation, his boss took over dealing the stuff.

Back in the mid-1960s, I worked at MIT/IL (now Draper Labs) in Cambridge. A co-worker bought a rifle at a Central Square pawn shop at lunch, walked back to work carrying it (no case or bag) and handed it to the security guard to hold it until the end of the day. It was all military work, so no guns allowed . . . officially. I know that the GCA 1998 made it illegal for MA pawn shops to take in guns as pawned items.

When driving back from Vancouver BC to Seattle, I stopped at a pawn shop in WA. All they had were old hunting shotguns/rifles. I haven't looked around in NH yet.

When I worked for Raytheon in Waltham, a material handler had a "deal" each week, selling stuff that had "fallen off the truck". When he went on vacation, his boss took over dealing the stuff.

Back in the mid-1960s, I worked at MIT/IL (now Draper Labs) in Cambridge. A co-worker bought a rifle at a Central Square pawn shop at lunch, walked back to work carrying it (no case or bag) and handed it to the security guard to hold it until the end of the day. It was all military work, so no guns allowed . . . officially. I know that the GCA 1998 made it illegal for MA pawn shops to take in guns as pawned items.

When driving back from Vancouver BC to Seattle, I stopped at a pawn shop in WA. All they had were old hunting shotguns/rifles. I haven't looked around in NH yet.
When you worked at Draper did you know an engineer named Ed Hickey?

When you worked at Draper did you know an engineer named Ed Hickey?
I never worked there when it was called Draper Labs. Doc Draper was alive and well when I was there and it was a semi-seperate corp from MIT university and co-located in that location.

I don't recall the name, but only remember a handful of names as I left there in 1968 or early 1969.

I never worked there when it was called Draper Labs. Doc Draper was alive and well when I was there and it was a semi-seperate corp from MIT university and co-located in that location.

I don't recall the name, but only remember a handful of names as I left there in 1968 or early 1969.
My former FiL was a mechanical engineer there and was part of the Apollo project. He had a picture of himself with Werner Von Braun. He said it was a good place to work because Draper allowed engineers to work on side projects as long as your primary work wasn't suffering.

Tempted but never went into one. Years ago friend of mine went through a hellish divorce and had to pawn things (like the tv) to pay her bills and rent. The kids would come home and ask “where is…”. Kinda of stuck with me. She did make it through and is ok.

My former FiL was a mechanical engineer there and was part of the Apollo project. He had a picture of himself with Werner Von Braun. He said it was a good place to work because Draper allowed engineers to work on side projects as long as your primary work wasn't suffering.
I worked on Poseiden guidance systems, so I never interfaced with those working on Apollo.

Hmm ... when Waltham was open we didn't call them material handlers (at least in Bedford).

Hmm ... when Waltham was open we didn't call them material handlers (at least in Bedford).
This was Seyon St. I was a QC test engineer. I don't know what their official title was, just that they moved supplies between two buildings on that street.

We go to Western NC about 3 times per year and i always spend a day hitting up the pawn shops. Like Dunkin Donuts in the northeast, there is a pawn shop on every other corner. The prices listed on the used guns are sometimes higher than new MSRP. I went round and round on a very used 10/22 and we never could come to an agreement. Ended up buying a new one at a local gun shop for $30 cheaper than what that pawn shop wanted. Different pawn shop, went round and round on a Remington 7615 pump 223 but he wouldnt budge and NES talked me out of it. I still go hoping for a deal.

Back
Top Bottom