• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Patriotic Special Event: 13 Colonies

Sounds Good!! Good luck with the CT qso. Did you get the Special Event too?

I'm not that big into Propagation but we can give it a try. I talked to the MA event station on 40m from westford. I will be on tonight let's say we try 10:30pm if that works for you. We can then jump on here for freq.

Sounds Good!! Good luck with the CT qso. Did you get the Special Event too?

I'm not that big into Propagation but we can give it a try. I talked to the MA event station on 40m from westford. I will be on tonight let's say we try 10:30pm if that works for you. We can then jump on here for freq.
I think I can do 10:30. See you here at 10:30.

That was interesting. While I was getting qrm from stations a thousand+ miles away, Darkgriffin and I could barely hear each other even though we are 14 miles apart. Must be shooting over each other's heads. So, we met on a 2M repeater instead. I can now really appreciate having an 80M dipole strung low for NVIS work.

That was interesting. While I was getting qrm from stations a thousand+ miles away, Darkgriffin and I could barely hear each other even though we are 14 miles apart. Must be shooting over each other's heads. So, we met on a 2M repeater instead. I can now really appreciate having an 80M dipole strung low for NVIS work.

It was great talking to you last night! I just finished my 13 Colonies with NH. It was a pain in the butt. They had been on 20M and they did not copy me after 2 hours. I came on tonight and hit them on 40M. It was great that asked before they signed off if anyone needed them for a sweep.

It was great talking to you last night! I just finished my 13 Colonies with NH. It was a pain in the butt. They had been on 20M and they did not copy me after 2 hours. I came on tonight and hit them on 40M. It was great that asked before they signed off if anyone needed them for a sweep.
NICE. A clean sweep so early in the week. There's going to be a lot of people on the air this Saturday night tring to finish up. Good that you beat the rush. It's actually a fair amount of work, isn't it?

BTW, did you get the bonus station WM3PEN?

NICE. A clean sweep so early in the week. There's going to be a lot of people on the air this Saturday night tring to finish up. Good that you beat the rush. It's actually a fair amount of work, isn't it?

I was lucky enough to make a QSO with WM3PEN on thurs. I also made my furthest DX QSO last night to Lithuania (over 4000 miles). All from a cheesy G5RV junior strung up between two pine trees at my camp in Maine. And on 100 watts (prolly closer to 75 after antenna mismatch factored in)

Hi I need some help with the 13 Colonies log sheet. What goes in the UTC, Report and Mode?
Thanks
I have two contact todays and I have one from yesterday except I did not write the time down so I will have to try Delaware again.
John

Hi I need some help with the 13 Colonies log sheet. What goes in the UTC, Report and Mode?
Thanks
I have two contact todays and I have one from yesterday except I did not write the time down so I will have to try Delaware again.
John
UTC= universal coordinated time formerly known as GMT or the time in Greenwich England 0 deg meridian
Report=signal report ie 59
mode=ssb,am,fm,cw

I was lucky enough to make a QSO with WM3PEN on thurs. I also made my furthest DX QSO last night to Lithuania (over 4000 miles). All from a cheesy G5RV junior strung up between two pine trees at my camp in Maine. And on 100 watts (prolly closer to 75 after antenna mismatch factored in)

Just broke the old record with a 5 x 9 QSO with YW2LV in Caracas Venezuela at a distance of 5472 miles from my camp in Maine

It really was not that hard. On avg. I would say it would take me 10-15 mins to get through the pile ups. I did not get the Bonus station. Once I got NH i was finished. haha I thought it ended on the 5th?

- - - Updated - - -

Again thats great! Hey, the antenna works! Haha

- - - Updated - - -

Just broke the old record with a 5 x 9 QSO with YW2LV in Caracas Venezuela at a distance of 5472 miles from my camp in Maine

Nice!!! Keep them coming! I need to do some QRP up there! haha

All from a cheesy G5RV junior strung up between two pine trees at my camp in Maine.
You can't say anything bad to me about simple wire antennas. They work!

Just licensed and already operating portable. That's great!!

Soon we are taking off for a family get together in a rented beach house on the coast. I' bringing the FT-857 and a slingshot to put an end-fed up in a tree. My father-in-law has sailed his whole life. I'm going to introduce him to the 14,300 maritime mobile service net (HF in boats). He's retired, super smart and would prolly like ham radio after he sees it.

I have six now all from yesterday. I have been on today starting at noon and the bands have been dead. I am new and I just picked up my radio on the 4th. It is a 6mo. old Yaesu FT-950 and I am using the rain gutter on my house as an antenna. I hooked this system up on Tuesday. The system seems to be working good getting 59s. and the antenna auto tune on the FT-950 seems to keep the antenna in tune on all bands. I made all of my six 13 Colonies contacts on 40M and 20M.
Hope to get more today.
KC1ABV
John

John, that's great. I love how you just dove right in. 13colonies ends tonight and it's going to be a feeding frenzy, especially on 40M. Don't forget to watch the spotter sites. Will your tuner get good gutter on 80M? I got 3 colonies way down on 80.

Yes no problem on 80M, although I have had no contacts on 80M.
There has also been a change for when this will end. This is from the web site.

Due to extreme weather conditions in some of the Colony states, our operating dates will be extended to 08:00 PM Eastern Daylight Savings Time, July 7 (0000Z, July 8) .

Lets try to connect QSO on 40M or 20M. Let me know when and on what freq.
KC1ABV
John

Last edited:
This is the QSL card I got from NY.

Like I said, the 13 Colonies special event is a patriotic one![cheers]

K2AQSLcard_zps22ca06c2.png

Back
Top Bottom