• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Public service event calendar

timmay

NES Member
This is a public service event calendar that I have been working on. It is very much a work in progress. I am listing events as I learn about them. If you know of an event that uses amateur radio comms that is not listed, feel free to drop me a pm. Useful information for me to list an event:
Event name
Date(s)
Comms lead contact info
Website url
Bands/modes used

Being that this a google calendar, it is probably best viewed in Chrome. However, I do occasionally check it’s func in other browsers. The calendar settings are set to public viewing, both events and the calendar itself. I mention this because people have stated that there is an error that appears that says it is private, and this is not the case.

Nice work, man! Glad to see someone putting this together.

Ask the mods to put this as a STICKY for the forum.

So, I live in north central MA... but I will list any (organized) amateur radio supported event. I may not be privy to events at the extreme edges of MA... much less the other NE states. Let me know and we can get them listed.

Next event I know of will be Finish on the Fifty:

The Finish at the Fifty is coming up in just a couple of weeks, on July 3, and we could still use several more volunteers to help make the event a success. It’s a fun one: a combined 5K and 10K race that runs around Gillette Stadium and ends on the 50 yard line. We support the medical team to let them know about any runners who need assistance. If you’ve worked at BAA events before, it’s much of the same team. Since the event is in the evening and runs along the stadium ramps, we usually see different kinds of medical issues than we do at other races.

The event runs from approximately 4PM to 8PM. Please write me back if you can help out, and I’ll make sure you’re on the roster. If you have any questions about it, let me know and I’ll be happy to answer those.

Thanks in advance, and 73,

--
Brett Smith, AB1RL
[email protected]
Public Service Coordinator, Boston Amateur Radio Club

Next event I know of will be Finish on the Fifty:

The Finish at the Fifty is coming up in just a couple of weeks, on July 3, and we could still use several more volunteers to help make the event a success. It’s a fun one: a combined 5K and 10K race that runs around Gillette Stadium and ends on the 50 yard line. We support the medical team to let them know about any runners who need assistance. If you’ve worked at BAA events before, it’s much of the same team. Since the event is in the evening and runs along the stadium ramps, we usually see different kinds of medical issues than we do at other races.

The event runs from approximately 4PM to 8PM. Please write me back if you can help out, and I’ll make sure you’re on the roster. If you have any questions about it, let me know and I’ll be happy to answer those.

Thanks in advance, and 73,

--
Brett Smith, AB1RL
[email protected]
Public Service Coordinator, Boston Amateur Radio Club

This one doesn't look like a non-profit event. I'll skip this one since I like to support charities...not give my services to a corporate run event.

Not sure what it all means, however there is this: Thanks to our Sponsors – Finish at the 50 which states that Harvard Pilgrim is a not for profit healthcare plan, the headline sponsor of the event. The race is run by David McGillvray who is is involved in the BAA which is the group that puts on the Boston Marathon. The medical group is headed by Chris Troyanos. All the medical folks are volunteers.

Just not sure the event itself is non-profit.

* edit to add, yes this is a charity race. It is to raise money for cancer research. I don’t know which one, someone was yapping in my ear while in the parking lot waiting for the 5k to launch. Good event. Only 4 immersion treatments and 2 direct transport. Considering the circumstances it could have been a lot worse.

Last edited:
K1MGY sent out an email asking for volunteers for 3 upcoming events.

Email him at [email protected] if interested in any of these.

1. Orchard House 5 & 10K
    Saturday September 8, 2018 (morning)
    Concord, MA

2. Cystic Fibrosis Cycle for Life
    Saturday October 6, 2018 (morning to early afternoon)
    Holliston, MA

3. Ashland Half Marahon (morning)
    Saturday October 27, 2018
    Ashland, MA

K1MGY sent out an email asking for volunteers for 3 upcoming events.

Email him at [email protected] if interested in any of these.

1. Orchard House 5 & 10K
    Saturday September 8, 2018 (morning)
    Concord, MA

2. Cystic Fibrosis Cycle for Life
    Saturday October 6, 2018 (morning to early afternoon)
    Holliston, MA

3. Ashland Half Marahon (morning)
    Saturday October 27, 2018
    Ashland, MA
All three of these events could use volunteers. He is also looking for people that can do bicycle mobile for some events... I threw my hat in the ring for that one..

The CF event will be using DMR, so if you have one, here is the event for you. If you don’t have one, he can find you a loaner.

All three of these events could use volunteers. He is also looking for people that can do bicycle mobile for some events... I threw my hat in the ring for that one..

The CF event will be using DMR, so if you have one, here is the event for you. If you don’t have one, he can find you a loaner.

I also am doing bicycle mobile.

Need to order the DMR radio. Been looking to buy one anyway...now I have an excuse!!! :)

Licensed amateur radio volunteers needed:
Orchard House 5&10K (running event - race)
Concord, MA
Saturday , September 8th.
Early in, early out.
Benefit: Louisa May Alcott historic home/museum, Concord.

Also from Brett Smith:

We have two public service events lined up this fall, and you can sign up for both right now.

The first is the Jimmy Fund Walk on Sunday, September 23. This is the Jimmy Fund’s annual fundraising walk along the Boston Marathon route. There are positions available to work with a medical team at each rest stop along the route, so there’s a variety of locations and volunteer times available. To sign up, just e-mail me back to let me know, and I’ll add you to our roster. Let me know if you have any scheduling requirements or location requests—I can’t accommodate everyone but I’ll do my best.

The second is the BAA Half Marathon on Sunday, October 7. As usual for BAA events, we’ll work with medical teams at different points along the route to provide them with any necessary communication, including EMS dispatch requests if necessary. Volunteer registration for this event is on the BAA’s web site. Please register by September 12.

If you aren’t able to join us, you can still help out by spreading the word about these events. Both can use volunteers of any experience level. Feel free to share this email with your friends or clubs.

If you have questions about either event, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you, and 73,

--
Brett Smith, AB1RL

Back
Top Bottom