Panic buying at Shooting Supply in Westport, Ma. today.

I'd be too tempted to make absurd recommendations like... a Marlin Goose Gun and a .32 NAA derringer. Or, a Vetterli and a Glisenti.

Yup. A Vetterli and a Glisenti. That'll do for home defense.

My only virus-era purchase was purely coincidental, but if anyone asks I can honestly tell them the gun I bought during the panic buying was a High Standard 10B bullpup police shotgun from the 1970s.

I say this every time things like this go down. All you knot heads that are happy to go stand in line on days like that and get a tingle up your leg caused you scored some ammo need to put that time and money into hand loading. You’ll reach a new level of self reliance and sleep better at night.
Yup. I was at Northeast Arms earlier watching guys come in to scoop up ammo. Didn’t take long for it all to disappear (they’re getting more tomorrow - Friday though). It was nice knowing I don’t have to be limited by what shops have in stock. Don’t have to leave my house either.

got my LTC in april of the same year as newtown and was caught flat-footed, never again.

met with a newer shooter (who i've known since he was 3 yrs. old) at the club last sunday, as he bought his first shotgun, and just wanted to have me go over the fundamentals.

i supplied all the shells, and gave him 100+ rnds of 9mm. glad i could do it without batting an eye

shout out to shooting supply though, i don't see a scenario where i would buy a gun from anyone else as long as i'm in Mass

Lol the fun thing is if you had laid in a reserve on the first three calibers you mentioned it doesnt really become a problem anymore. I have more than "just those" but by focusing on those when things were cheaper, myself and a bunch of other people didn't end up in a pickle. Even if I had missed my 3000 round 9mm run a couple weekends ago I would still be in a decent shape, that was basically just insurance.

-Mike
I'm not saying I don't have a reserve of those three, I most certainly do, but it can stay that way. I don't have to burn up what I've got to go shoot. I can spread my shooting out among other calibers that I can actually continue to replenish during this madness for normal prices and keep my reserves of those three where I want them.

This is true but even reloaders need to not be lame skinflints and aggressively lay in mats, especially primers and powder... because when that channel runs dry, it gets booooone dry. Or you end up stuck buying f***o materials you don't want to use, or having to redo recipes because you ran out of the powder you really wanted to use.

One fun thing is reloading stuff tends to lag the panic for commercial ammo by at least a month, but that may have
changed. One of the reasons I originally did it was because during Obamascare 1 it was easier for me to get mats than it was
to get loaded ammo. It became logical at that point. I took a hiatus but that's a whole other story.

-Mike
One online vendor is already sold out of Win and CCI primers as well as popular pistol powders.

People still go to stores for ammo? TSUSA has eliminated that need for me. Other than the occasional business I toss the LGS. I have been saying for awhile I need to get into reloading, this may be finally the excuse to buy the stuff. I have nowhere to put it currently though

Walked down to 4S around 3:30 today. Ticket machine was at the building entrance not at the store entrance. Maybe 20 people waiting in the hallway. I did not need anything but was just curious. I didn’t bother to stick my head in to see how bad it was in the store itself.

I'm glad a place like FS exists here in MA, and Carl is a good guy...*but* is there a worse feeling than pulling a deli ticket to go look at a gun ?

Last edited:
Well, .22 LR drought had a perfect storm of bullshit behind it....

-tons of noobs becoming gun owners
-every other kind of ammo had jumped in price dramatically, so all the skinflints were buying .22 because they didn't want to pay
for 9/40/45 etc.
-SHITLOADS of new guns in .22 LR. things like the M&P 15 22 and a bunch of others simply didnt exist before Obama
got elected. Ruger introduced their takedown guns, etc. A ton of those umarex imports like GSG5 etc, various clones of other
common guns but chambered in 22 LR. Ruger introduced SR22, etc.
Well, the other thing with .22 is that it's rimfire and can't be reloaded and it happens to be the most common caliber in the world.

The only thing I am really short on right now is socks without holes. I really need to get on that. Apocalypse without good socks would suck wicked bad.

well yeah. you can't use them to filter water with holes in them.

But don't throw them away, you can use them when the toilet paper runs out.,

People still go to stores for ammo? TSUSA has eliminated that need for me. Other than the occasional business I toss the LGS. I have been saying for awhile I need to get into reloading, this may be finally the excuse to buy the stuff. I have nowhere to put it currently though
same here. literally have no where to set up a press since I'm in an apt. lucky to have barely enough space to keep the ammo I have stored and out of plain site (mostly).

I was in, On target in Bridgewater at the shops opening time. I didn't need anything I was just crazy slow at my work and decided to walk over and check out the scene. Wile I was looking at what they had for ammo people started to pile in then I started to listen. People started to buy guns 2 at a time, said to myself I better stand in line to cash out my box of .22 CCI mini mag and a box of 9mm critical defense before it gets crazy. Almost an hour before I cashed out!!! I was 3rd in line.

Where are you located

Quincy, MA. sportsman's den in Quincy is out. Bass pro was out Sunday morning. Target sports is pretty wiped out. Most on gun.deals won't ship to MA.

I wonder if the retailers know when they get shipments I'm, and if I could make some arrangements to be there at the same time....

Quincy, MA. sportsman's den in Quincy is out. Bass pro was out Sunday morning. Target sports is pretty wiped out. Most on gun.deals won't ship to MA.

I wonder if the retailers know when they get shipments I'm, and if I could make some arrangements to be there at the same time....
Call Northeast Arms in Peabody when they open today. They sold out of 9mm yesterday but they’re getting deliveries every day this week.

Call Northeast Arms in Peabody when they open today. They sold out of 9mm yesterday but they’re getting deliveries every day this week.
Thanks for the heads up, but I snagged some on target sports this am. Another user in the thread noticed they were just resupplied. Gonna take a few weeks, but I've got enough to hold me over til then, I think.

Is it panic buying if your seeing 6.5 grendel for 7 bucks a box.. Or is that boner buying? Trump could do us all a solid and lift the import bans... My 74 only has about 500 friends to play with

Article originally printed in the New York Times - and as usual - there's BS gun control lies in it:

Licensed firearms dealers like Hyatt are required to run those queries with the FBI to ensure that would-be purchasers aren’t convicted felons or otherwise barred from gun possession. Private sales, including through gun shows, online marketplaces or social media, are exempt from federal background checks, so any change there would be difficult to spot.

As hopefully everyone here knows - the laws for private sales vary from state to state. For example, in CT I need to get an authorization number from the SLFU for ANY firearm sale. In Georgia, I can do private sales without a NICS or filing any paperwork with any agency.

Back
Top Bottom