Panic buying at Shooting Supply in Westport, Ma. today.

No offense intended, but the smartest customer is the one who stocked up months or years ago, when ammo was already cheap and readily available.

Amateurs.

If society really breaks down, you think it'll be a one-and-done?
No offense taken. I'm the smart one. Been doing this for long time. I don't need anything. But there was a time.

If shit goes down how much ammo do you expect to use in a gunfight before you or the other person dies? I’m guessing one magazine on either side
I don't give a rats ass about ammo for shtf. I have enough.

I shoot at the club 2-3 days a week bud.....and need a few thou to keep up my hobby.

A sundry gun owner owns a box or two. That's my point.

I don't give a rats ass about ammo for shtf. I have enough.

I shoot at the club 2-3 days a week bud.....and need a few thou to keep up my hobby.

A sundry gun owner owns a box or two. That's my point.
Yep.

Don’t judge me but I wanted a bulletproof vest, I feel like it’s good to have especially living in the poorest city in America. I called a local store to ask about what they stocked and opinions. His response was, come on by if you want but you will have to wait in line with about 40 people buying the last few guns we have in the store. I passed and loaded a few extra mags. Although I really want a bulletproof vest still.
Look at it this way,you buy a vest,and someone shoots you in the head.

It doesn't take much imagination to imagine the ghetto life class expanding and not enough welfare to go around, not to mention there's a whole shitload of people who basically became unemployed this week, for anyone from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on the employer etc. It's not completely unreasonable to assume that some f***o types are going to start doing f***o things if they get desperate enough.
ETA: I will concede a large # of these panic buy people are probably just sundry gun owners that suddenly realized they got caught with their pants down and are now overreacting, and somewhat fed by hysteria... but I would say in the coming weeks there's still a legit reason to upgrade security measures.
-Mike
THEY are in every suburban apartment complex outside of Boston now because of the skyrocketing housing market. The Board of Selectman in the burbs get all excited about new 40B housing complexes that will allow the town to meet their quota of reduced cost housing. After the people buy at market rate, 40B move in too, and any units left unoccupied go right to Section 8 so the complex owner can maximize occupancy and revenue. And THEN the proverbial, "There goes the neighborhood" sets in and the once quiet neighborhood goes right down the drain with a skyrocketing crime rate.

Last edited:
THEY are in every suburban apartment complex outside of Boston now because of the skyrocketing housing market. The Board of Selectman in the burbs get all excited about new 40B housing complexes that will allow the town to meet their quota of reduced cost housing allowing for more government funds to be given to the town.
The 10% quotaof "affordable housing" is not for govt funds, but allows the town to deny developers who can otherwise get a "comprehensive permit" and bypass much of the town's decision making authority. Towns like 40Bs that they consider the lesser of two evils. In fact, developers often use "give me the OK on this market rate development or I'll go 40B", so a town below quote gets beat up by non-40B developers as well.

Last edited:
If shit goes down how much ammo do you expect to use in a gunfight before you or the other person dies? I’m guessing one magazine on either side
Ok.....so if someone is preparing for "without rule of law" is it your opinion they only need one magazine?

How many rounds do you deem necessary for me to own?

Last edited:
Ok.....so if someone is preparing for "without rule of law" is it your opinion they only need one magazine?

How many rounds do you deem necessary for me to own?

This thread started as a panic buy for ammo, I didn’t consider people panic buying for range time. I’m a hunter not much of a doomsdayer and my only point was if there was a gun fight with two guys that could shoot or one chances are someone would be dead by the time a magazine was empty. If 100 rounds ain’t getting you out of a jam the other 9,900 probably won’t either. But what do I know I’m just a hunter. it Didn’t cross my mind stocking up for range time during lock down or whatever you want to call it I thought people were out buying thousands of rounds for the zombie apocalypse

Another box arrived today...

View attachment 339250

You should all continue to buy off the shelf ammo. Leave the reloading supplies for people like me.

Those run out too, particularly primers. You better lay in a few sleeves (5K ea) of primers before the channel gets picked clean. If the market gets fully stressed, it takes awhile for primers to really come back.

-Mike

This thread started as a panic buy for ammo, I didn’t consider people panic buying for range time. I’m a hunter not much of a doomsdayer and my only point was if there was a gun fight with two guys that could shoot or one chances are someone would be dead by the time a magazine was empty. If 100 rounds ain’t getting you out of a jam the other 9,900 probably won’t either. But what do I know I’m just a hunter. it Didn’t cross my mind stocking up for range time during lock down or whatever you want to call it I thought people were out buying thousands of rounds for the zombie apocalypse
So you don’t practice with your hunting guns at the range??

Those run out too, particularly primers. You better lay in a few sleeves (5K ea) of primers before the channel gets picked clean. If the market gets fully stressed, it takes awhile for primers to really come back.

-Mike
Yup. Bullets I’m not too concerned about but powder and primers are a different story.

-Mike
I covered that a few months back. I still have 10K federal small pistol primers.

In a different Coronavirus thread someone said they were in 4S this morning and it was a mad house. They had limited handgun ammo purchases to 5 boxes per person and had raised their prices on 9mm ammo from $8.99 a box to $14.99 a box. Hell, I bet they could start charging $20 a box and still sell out.

I'm glad I went to 4S a week and a half ago and stocked up on calibers I was low on then when their discounted prices were still in tact.
SCUM

Well they've maxed out hte food and TP. People are trying to think of "what's next?"

Reality is that we don't NEED more guns and ammo. Sheesh. What do we think - Corona is going to turn 20% of victims into zombies or something??? But people can't help being ahead of the next run.

I'm guilty. Back in 1999, I stocked up on some stuff. I know some that went Uber-deep. Like 10's of thousands of dollars of items for Y2K. And NYE, I stopped at my LGS to buy one or two more boxes of pistol ammo. I was the only customer. Strange.

So I get it. But I won't stock up on stuff until I think I might need it. I've got plenty of guns and plenty of ammo. I'm good. And neither are going away soon. So I'm even better.

People need to calm the F down.
I agree, I mean, the economy is in the shitter and is going to be there for 4-5 months, hospitals in big cities like NYC and Seattle and out in Cali are going to be swamped and turn into morgues, and yeah, we're probably going to see some sort of 2 or 3 week shutdowns to stomp the outbreak of infections in certain areas that are growing "hotspots" that are getting bad, but nowhere near NYC levels of bad, but all that is going to pass.

There's not going to be roving bands of hungry zombies because Trump is working with the big retailers to make sure food and everyday items are still available because we all know what happens when the shelves are bare and people go hungry and with all the guns in this country, the death toll from that along will dwarf the deaths from the virus.

Trump is not a bloodthirsty demon from the abyss like Hilary is, he will not let mass civil unrest happen without doing everything possible to avoid it.

Anyway, NYC, Seattle, and Cali are up shit creek and will have 2 month long lockdowns and national guard enforcing the quarantine, but who gives a fugg about them? I don't live there, I don't feel no symphy for them, they're the fugging assclowns who deserve to suffer with this because they are the enemy of our freedom and God given rights.

Even if I was living in those places, sure, I'd stock up on a month or two of food and I would buy a gun and ammo if I didn't have any, but if I already had those things, I wouldn't feel unprepared.

You know, seeing all this talk about the panic buying has me amused because it was a couple weeks ago I was having a back and forth with somebody on another forum about buying cheap 9mm hollow points vs the overpriced HST, which I believe is an acronym for Haha Sucka Thanks, and I made the point that I like the idea of having 3 mags full and having only spent $25 to do it vs $60, but really because the cheap JHP ammo that works is great ammo to stock up on for the money.

One reason I got into .40 was because the bonded Winchester stuff is under $25 for 50 rds and I ended up getting a bunch for close to $21 a year or more ago.

In the past few years I started narrowing down the .22 LR ammo that I would stockpile to a few brands: CCI Standard Velocity and Velocitor. SV is super accurate, low noise, and more than enough for small game, whilst also being super cheap. Velocitor is just top notch .22 LR defense ammo. Even tho it's weak, it's easy to stock up on a bunch of .22 and throw a gun to somebody in case trouble happens and I can give them a gun with nearly no recoil.

That said, there are still guns I would like to buy that I feel would be fun and practical for me to shoot, whilst also being useful for a real SHTF emergency.

I don't think we're in that emergency... yet. Clearly if people continue to party like how Nero fiddled and spread the virus, then yeah, we're in an even worse position, but even the worst case projections by officials are still manageable losses. I mean, Europeans survived the Black Plague where the death rate was something like 40%, this virus is at best a 5% death rate, with most of them coming from people over 50.

The world will go on.

You know, seeing all this talk about the panic buying has me amused because it was a couple weeks ago I was having a back and forth with somebody on another forum about buying cheap 9mm hollow points vs the overpriced HST, which I believe is an acronym for Haha Sucka Thanks, and I made the point that I like the idea of having 3 mags full and having only spent $25 to do it vs $60, but really because the cheap JHP ammo that works is great ammo to stock up on for the money.

One reason I got into .40 was because the bonded Winchester stuff is under $25 for 50 rds and I ended up getting a bunch for close to $21 a year or more ago.

In the past few years I started narrowing down the .22 LR ammo that I would stockpile to a few brands: CCI Standard Velocity and Velocitor. SV is super accurate, low noise, and more than enough for small game, whilst also being super cheap. Velocitor is just top notch .22 LR defense ammo. Even tho it's weak, it's easy to stock up on a bunch of .22 and throw a gun to somebody in case trouble happens and I can give them a gun with nearly no recoil.

That said, there are still guns I would like to buy that I feel would be fun and practical for me to shoot, whilst also being useful for a real SHTF emergency.

I don't think we're in that emergency... yet. Clearly if people continue to party like how Nero fiddled and spread the virus, then yeah, we're in an even worse position, but even the worst case projections by officials are still manageable losses. I mean, Europeans survived the Black Plague where the death rate was something like 40%, this virus is at best a 5% death rate, with most of them coming from people over 50.

The world will go on.

Other than "the world will go on", is there a point to your post?😷

It's not a few sundry gun owners are buying thousands of rounds that's the problem. It's a shit ton of sundry gun owners buying 50 to 100 rounds each that's the problem. All those casual gun owners in line adds up to bare shelves. I've been through this rodeo a few times.

The few people you see on this forum buying a few thousand in ammo and reloading components are doing it because we know the mom and pop folks are out there now in lines outside the shops to buy a box of nine lol. We shoot multiple times weekly and like to keep stock to keep doing that.

Last edited:
Other than "the world will go on", is there a point to your post?😷
-Buying good stuff cheap is better than buying "the best" stuff expensive for perceived SHTF situations.

-Narrow down what .22 ammo you shoot most and believe will be most useful to you in a real SHTF emergency and buy a lot of it.

-If you really want a gun that's also useful for a breakdown in society, don't be afraid to buy it, it's probably not going to get any cheaper once we get through this anyway.

-We're going to get through this

So you don’t practice with your hunting guns at the range??
Yea before hunting season I check zero on my muzzleloader maybe put 10-20 through it, before I go out west I put a couple boxes through my 10mm sidearm for bear protection. I did recently get a 300wm for a Wyoming rifle hunt next fall I have 50 loaded and 100 cases prepped and ready to go

Back
Top Bottom